Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:17 PM
kriendj

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
FTF / FTE Help

Ok, be kind. Relative newby here. I have an old 10/22 that I recently upgraded. I think a 90ís era. Ruger trigger. ER Shaw barrel. Magpul x22 stock. Shoots pretty good after the upgrades but isnít reliable. I know I wonít be able to answer all the questions I will need to answer for you guys to help me because I havenít paid enough attention to the details when it happens. I do know:

- sometimes I pull the trigger and it goes click. Then I rack it and a bullet comes out that is shaved a bit.
-sometimes I get stove pipes
- I canít get through a 10rd mag without at least one issue. It seems to happen often on 2nd bullet but then goes better. But now always.
- I Hadnít shot it in years before my upgrades so I donít really have a control.
Iíve only tried one mag, but itís an OEM mag.
- I did put in a VQ extractor because it was cheap and I thought Iíd get lucky. No dice.
- I cleaned bolt pretty good when I put in extractor (and spring)
- tried Cci target, hunting, Winchester bulk, golden bullet. No stingers. Golden bullet was the worst for accuracy and reliability. Cci was best.

So. How to diagnose? I think the following steps are in order:

- try more mags
- clean chamber with .243 brush even though new barrel did this right out of the box. And I think years ago when i shot it it was fine except with 25 rders.
- put cartridge in chamber and insure it slides in easily.
- look more closely at each ďmisfireĒ and see if itís a FTE, FTF. If FTF look at firing pin mark on bullet.

What else do I need to look at or pay attention to in order to figure this out? I think itíll really shoot well with my mods but I want it reliable. Help please!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2019, 07:36 AM
elh0102

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
If I understand, the only thing new is the barrel, and all the issues you describe could be the result of an imperfect barrel fitment. That could result from machining error in the barrel shank. You might try putting the OE barrel back on and see if the problems persist.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:04 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The magpul stock is new too! And that is the culprit. Pull out the action and barrel, cock the gun , see that little dingus popping out of the back of the trigger housing? the trigger mainspring is hitting the stock sand that area on the stock out.

Now with the action out cycle 10 rounds thru the action, put the safety on first! If they go in and out without issue itís still the stock. Look for plastic bumps humps etc in and around magazine well, sand them out.

If they donít run thru with out a problem then undo the v block screws and with the bolt in if itís loose twist barrel slightly and lightly , youíll hear the click from hitting the extractor, on bot side , center the barrel. If the barrel is to tight to twist look inside and run bolt slow and see if extractor is centered.

If itís loose you might have barrel droop, so the chamber isnít in line with the bullet and makes feeding and extracting difficult and get a gunsmither block and install , it has a screw that pushes the barrel up, if you donít want to grind off part of the barrel , I think required on gunsmither block, get a v block with a ascrew that pushes the barrel up. JHW makes one.

Iíve also read that while the VQ extractor claw is excellent many have chosen to stay with the oem spring because it works better.

Clean out your chamber , where do you think those lead shaving are living?

Good luck, sometimes this stuff gets frustrating , but as long as you have time and money , fixable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2019, 02:09 PM
DRob
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Barrel droop

I like the barrel droop theory. Lots of guys get hung up on the idea that the barrel has to be free floated like many other rifles. Not so with a 10/22. Look at the method Ruger uses for attaching a pipe to a housing. Yep, all at one end. Particularly bad if your barrel is a .920 chunk of pipe. That's why there is a small pad at the front of the barrel channel in most, if not all, factory stocks. It's there to support the barrel. There are lots of fixes including something as simple as making a pad from pieces of rubber inner tube or similar material.

When you're chasing issues like you have, make one change at a time until you find the solution.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:02 PM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob View Post
I like the barrel droop theory. Lots of guys get hung up on the idea that the barrel has to be free floated like many other rifles. Not so with a 10/22. Look at the method Ruger uses for attaching a pipe to a housing. Yep, all at one end. Particularly bad if your barrel is a .920 chunk of pipe. That's why there is a small pad at the front of the barrel channel in most, if not all, factory stocks. It's there to support the barrel. There are lots of fixes including something as simple as making a pad from pieces of rubber inner tube or similar material.

When you're chasing issues like you have, make one change at a time until you find the solution.
THIS is the single best piece of advice to offer anyone modding 10-22s from a stock Ruger rifle.

DrGunner
Old 10-11-2019, 06:11 PM
BBQBandit
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
A mis-aligned mag insertion also will give you the same symptoms.
Be sure its fully seated.

Found that myself... the hard way
Old 10-14-2019, 12:58 PM
Lloyd S.
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
For the bullet shaving problem, have a look at the bottom leading edge of your bolt. If it's sharp that might be the problem. Try stoning a smooth radius on it. I had a bolt action NS522 some years ago that shaved the top off the new bullet while feeding a round into the chamber. A little time spent with a small Arkansas stone solved the problem.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:28 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I'd say 9/10 times it's the bolt that causes this problem. But if you didn't change the bolt and it was running fine before then probably not. As mentioned above when using the VQ extractor use the Ruger OEM spring, not the one that comes with the VQ. And check your barrel alignment. Is it possible to post a picture of one of the shaved bullets?
Old 10-28-2019, 08:55 PM
kriendj

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Current State

I wanted to give an update out of respect to those that took the time to reply. Thank you. First off, I ignored the advice that everyone said was the most important: Do one thing at a time. LOL. I can only get to tee range so often so it's tough. But I tried to avoide the more invasive stuff. But I did buy a bunch of parts mostly b/c I'm a sucker. Here's what I did.

1 - Took it apart and polished inside of receiver. Holes where scope base screws come in had a burr so took care of that.
2 - Bought some one shot dry lube and cleaned the inside of the receiver with gun scrubber then a light spray of the dry lube
3 - Bought a kidd guide rod and spring kit. I couldn't resist. The new bolt handle I got looks so cool. LOL. But it does feel ALOT smoother
4 - sprayed bolt with gun scrubber really good and then dry lube.
5 - polished bolt wherever I felt imperfections, but didn't "radius" it yet
6 - But in the Kidd buffer pin thing
7 - Checked stock for what Toomany22's said to see if trigger mainspring was leaving marks and it wasn't so I didn't sand this yet.
8 - Installed kidd steel magazine plunger and spring thing. Magazine feels much more stable when inserted.
9 - Installed kidd v-block and made sure barrel was centered on extractor. I think the v-block was probably a waste. The barrel was really tight so I think it was holding good.
10 - The magpul stock comes with a pressure point thing that I didn't install originally. So I installed that and screwed it in to apply some light pressure.

So, LOTS of changes. LOL. But I focused on stuff to make the bolt work more smoothly, stuff to account for barrel droop, stuff to tighten the mag. So I hit on the thems of your replies.

Now the bad news is I haven't gone to the range yet to test it out. And it might be awhile b/c of deer season but when I go I'll report back.

If anyone has any opinions on what I did please let me know! I think the guide rod is going to be the winner but I guess I'll never know. The factory guide rod was pretty sticky.

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2019, 09:10 PM
Roadrat
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
92% (7)
Great, I am glad to see that you followed the advice you were provided:

I sure hope something you did fixed your original problem!!
Old 10-28-2019, 10:12 PM
kriendj

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrat View Post
Great, I am glad to see that you followed the advice you were provided:

I sure hope something you did fixed your original problem!!

Hopefully thereís nothing else to fix. Lol. But the bolt handle is beautiful!

Iím guessing thereís a 50-50 chance I will regret all the changes I made when my rifle is still ridiculously unreliable. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2019, 09:10 AM
stevebla
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome to RFC. Have fun and enjoy your project. 10/22 has become a major focus of my shooting and tinkering. I changed parts until I put original rifle back together. My first major 10/22 part was a Kidd single stage trigger, best gun money I ever spent. One Shot is good stuff I use it as lube on all my rimfire guns. Magazines can cause issues get some spares.

Last edited by stevebla; 10-29-2019 at 09:21 AM.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:06 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The 10-22 is a gun futzer's dream, not a nightmare; you will be able to sort this out, if you have not done so already, unlike many other firearms.
Dont sweat it, you got this
Old 10-29-2019, 03:33 PM
Rod Blackburn
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's hoping the hard work you put into the gun pays off in complete reliability. Please keep us informed of the results after you range test the rifle.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:17 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
After buying all that new stuff I hope you got at least one new OEM magazine to try in case that is your problem. At the very least you could rule it out if you still have problems with a different mag.