Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:52 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Binding up question?

Iím having a binding up issue with a Kingston Armorty Receiver, a Jwh bolt and charging handle. Empty s runs just fine. But with a loaded magazine it picks up the round and puts it 1/2 way in the chamber, straight as an arrow, and stops. I canít forward assist it , it just wonít go. , pull back it ejects,,same thing next round etc.

But I can hand fed the rounds into the chamber. Disassembled cleaned lube inspected, and same thing again.

Any ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions? Aspirin?

other factors, this barrel , a Shilen, has a small shank, it had some droop in its original receiver , which I noticed only when I snagged the silver receiver for something else. I used a Jwh v block itís got a push screw,and a stock black receiver and had to move the poi on the scope way down, but it shot fine. Then I put it into the KA receiver, new bolt and handle, same VQ tg200, and Jwh v block..
Old 10-08-2019, 12:08 PM
Garugerfan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Do you have a scope or rail mounted on the receiver? Screws protruding even slightly too far into the receiver can cause the bolt to bind up, especially when the magazine is in place.
After I assembled mine I noticed the bolt was not cycling as smoothly as I liked so I disassembled it and smoothEd up the inside of the receiver (especially the ledge the bolt rides on just inside the ejection port) with 400 grit sandpaper.
Made it much smoother, but mine wasnít binding up like yours.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:06 PM
JHB51

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
By empty do you mean no magazine in the gun?
First check the function with an empty mag feel for drag. Next try one round if ok then two and so on. No go try a different mag.
How loose are we talking on the barrel shank. Dimensions are needed the barrel may be so loose you are trying to push a straight round into a cockeyed bore. Remember the round is held against the bolt with the extractor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2019, 05:01 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Sounds like your bolt isn't feeding the rounds into the chamber straight. If you have a different bolt laying around throw it in and see if you have the same issues. If you still do it could be rubbing something in the receiver causing it to go in at an angle. Also make sure your extractor slot is lined up and your barrel is installed straight and level.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:24 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks , Iím going to try a new bolt first, just got one in, feel if any of the mont screws atr poking in, and try out som different mags. And maybe ease off on the push sctew in the v block.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:29 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I tried a new Jwh bolt , a new Jwh charging handle, an oem charging handle, the rail screws werenít protruding. Flummoxed, I tried a different barrel block, a different barrel, different magazines different triggers, . Many iterations! Until I tried an oem bolt and an oem barrel oem charging handle, eureka! Put the target set up in a oem receiver , works fine too! The KA receiver just doesnít like Jwh bolts!

So Iím back to where I started , a few years ago. A Tupperware carbine, but with a KA receiver and a Bx trigger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E2BCE241-4681-4C54-8073-EB8FECBF63E6.jpg (497.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 10-09-2019, 07:58 PM
JHB51

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When you close up the tolerances every thing has to be square and in the correct position to work. Now you get to figure out what bolt works with that receiver and what receiver works with that bolt.
I see two more rifles in your future.

Last edited by JHB51; 10-10-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:35 AM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I'm pretty sure there have been others here who have had problems with the JWH bolts in those receivers also.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:29 PM
Garugerfan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
I'm pretty sure there have been others here who have had problems with the JWH bolts in those receivers also.
Iím not doubting your statement, but just from my own build I havenít had any major issues with the KA/JWH combo. My JWH competitor bolt is one of the earlier models with the push in charging handle, that may be the difference.
Top of this bolt is smooth, no cutout for the factory style charging handle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0995B4CC-368A-40F0-9AC6-0E6B3994324B.jpg (523.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg C23FA197-D0E6-4DDB-9FEA-6A5330DDEF41.jpg (531.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 10-10-2019, 04:14 PM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I'm not saying everyone has had problems with this setup. But I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a thread where a few people did.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:51 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I havenít tried that combo, but I do have some of their bolts. When I get a chance I will check it out.

I have tried the Kidd bolt in the KA receiver and it works fine.

I have a MOA receiver that wonít take a Kidd bolt and another that will. Iím sure with a little polishing I could get it to work, but I just used a reworked Ruger bolt that Que did his magic on.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:25 PM
bullseye4845
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Binding up question

I purchased a JWH, Competitor bolt on sale a while ago, and never used it. I tried this new bolt in one of my Ruger builds, and it would hit the mag lips in rear, and I placed back into the spare part bin. All my other builds have the CPC bolts, and never fail to function.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:12 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well i tried several Jwh bolts in it and several Jwh charging handles to no avail.Thiss KA receiver is tight. But the oem works so I will just use it that way. I bought it to see if it was better than the oem receivers. The only casualty here was the VQ Trigger, that ended up in the parts box cause the target set up has th Brimstone BX Trigger on it now.just too lazy to swap it out

Besides that little elm barrel , as I remember, was quite accurate!
Old 10-13-2019, 09:02 PM
Sc0

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
KA receiver, JWH Competitor bolt, VQ trigger group, VQ bolt handle/recoil spring...

Jams on chambering the first round by hand 100% of the time, every single other round feeds fine. Multiple 10rd mags and BX25 mags, it's just the first manually chambered round? Fedderson barrel tenon has a loose fit which might be the culprit in this receiver as the V-block might be angling the chamber downwards.