Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:10 PM
JakeEastTN

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Marlin 60 Stocks-Old vs. New

Hello, All.

I am in the market for a Model 60 and have some questions that I’m sure can be answered here. I’ll start from the beginning..

I became attracted to the 60 because of the ‘tried and true’ design, tube fed magazine, and like many others, a bottom dollar price for a reliable gun worth every penny. Equally important is that it has a wood stock that feels like a solid, sturdy rifle-Rather than the stock on a Wally World pellet gun. I’ve handled a brand new 60 at my LGS and no complaints, especially sub-$200.

With that said, I would imagine that the stocks on an older glenfield, for example, would feel more substantial. I’m comparing all of this to an old Remington 512 that is an absolute tack driver after generations of use. The stock on the 512 feels just as warm and substantial as my deer rifle. In short, I want a solid, old school gun that is accurate enough to enjoy sitting on a bench also. It will be primarily an all purpose woods gun for squirrel hunting and plinking. The addition of a scope mount is also important as I will likely put something on top at some point, but also enjoy the challenge of irons very much.

I believe that I have just described a model 60 above, which is why I’m here. My biggest question is, are there certain earlier model years with a more ‘quality’ stock or type of wood? It appears that the squirrel and oak leaf models are what I’m looking for, but want some concrete explanation or advice since I can’t physically put my hands on one. I don’t prefer the squirrel emblem, but do take a liking to the oak leaf.

Additionally, if anyone believes that there may be another type of rifle to look at, feel free. Semi-auto only, as I already have bolt and lever 22’s that fit the bill.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-12-2019, 02:42 PM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
The best stocks on a Model 60 were the 50th Anniversary editions with walnut stocks. They made some after that because the demand was so high.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:55 PM
jerryray

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There were changes over the years at the trigger guards and the inletting there. Some had two screws and some had three, one for a stock reinforcing screw. Some trigger guards were wider than others. The fit would be different depending on what you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2019, 03:03 PM
Gripen
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
97% (27)
All the Model 60 variations (Marlin, Glenfield, and West Point) that I've owned or handled had identical pattern stocks - the differences are in the material, they all feel the same in the hand (except for minor differences due to checkering/squirrel/oak leaves). I've never seen one with a fat stock like the Remington 512. My favorite are the checkered walnut stocks.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:18 PM
JakeEastTN

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripen View Post
All the Model 60 variations (Marlin, Glenfield, and West Point) that I've owned or handled had identical pattern stocks - the differences are in the material, they all feel the same in the hand (except for minor differences due to checkering/squirrel/oak leaves). I've never seen one with a fat stock like the Remington 512. My favorite are the checkered walnut stocks.
Right. The material is what I’m after, more than the checkering, etc. The DLX is right up my alley, but can’t seem to find a single one anywhere. Which leads me to think that I may as well buy new for the low cost that they are and enjoy the knowledge that it’ll be babied like every other rifle of mine!
Old 07-12-2019, 06:29 PM
Gripen
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
97% (27)
Western Gun Parts has had a couple walnut DLX stocks for sale recently - you might try giving them a call to see if they have another.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:15 PM
Henry88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I looked at a model 60 at Academy that had a really nice piece of wood, I was surprised how nice it was and $159 doesn't hurt.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:20 PM
peteyboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry88 View Post
I looked at a model 60 at Academy that had a really nice piece of wood, I was surprised how nice it was and $159 doesn't hurt.
Personally, I would look for a 99C. Can't beat the look of a walnut stock and blued steel.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:39 PM
jdavis

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Give Remington a call. I know that they sold some extra anniversary stocks at one time when in Mayfield, Perhaps you will get lucky.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:09 PM
joe45c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyboy View Post
Personally, I would look for a 99C. Can't beat the look of a walnut stock and blued steel.
yep and the 990s had nice walnut stocks on them too. but are hard to find.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:30 AM
Big Shrek
US Army Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You are in TN, check the local pawn shops!!
Especially Millington area

Oughta be able to find a few for sale with wood stocks!