Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:31 AM
jes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Winchester 47 questions.

I've wanted one of these for quite some time, but haven't had the chance, recently I found one that is in nice shape other than the fact that it's drilled and tapped and still asking top dollar. I could live with this, since I want it primarily as a shooter, not collector and my old eyes don't like open sights anymore. So my first question is, did any 47's come with grooved receivers? I'm wondering if that is what I should be looking for, second question is more of a favor actually, does anyone have a good photo of the loading platform on a 47? I'd like to see what it looks like and can't seem to find a good picture on the internet. For those that shoot a 47, do they load well, I mean do you just drop a round in and close the bolt? I've had a few single shots that tend to be a little finicky in that regard. Thanks in advance, Jon S.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:03 PM
Big Larry
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
IMHO. the M47 is the best single shot medium priced rifle ever made by Winchester. I have 3. One target and two standards. Very accurate and easy to load. They do have an automatic safety. Goes on when you cock the rifle. No pics except for a complete rifle. One was cheap at $300, but it was minty. I paid more for the target as they are very hard to find. Recently, I saw a nice one on the net go for $150. Someone got a great deal. Sometimes these are hard to find, but it you get one, I doubt you will ever let it go. Most I have seen have very pretty stocks. I have heard of one that had a grooved receiver, but that is not the norm. Big Larry

Last edited by Big Larry; 10-10-2019 at 12:05 PM. Reason: add info
Old 10-10-2019, 12:30 PM
jes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Big Larry, I had never heard of a grooved version, but I wasn't sure and I'm certainly not a Winchester expert. I've had a few 69's, 69a's and currently a 75 Sporter, but as I get a little older I'm re-discovering the joys of a single shot, I'm also discovering that a decent quality, adult size, single shot sporter weight 22lr, is not an easy beast to find!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2019, 12:47 PM
Big Larry
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jes View Post
Thanks Big Larry, I had never heard of a grooved version, but I wasn't sure and I'm certainly not a Winchester expert. I've had a few 69's, 69a's and currently a 75 Sporter, but as I get a little older I'm re-discovering the joys of a single shot, I'm also discovering that a decent quality, adult size, single shot sporter weight 22lr, is not an easy beast to find!
47's seem to be a little scarce at times. I had 4 of them, but sold one to a friend. I usually buy anyone I see that is cheap. I mean under $300. These are great little rifles built along the lines of a M69-A. They are probably a bit more accurate than a M75 Sporter. In all honesty, I have 2 M75 Sporters and have never fired either one. They are quite a bit more expensive than a M47 too. Winchester made a lot of single shot rifles, some very cheap. M67's and M68's in man size versions, but I would take a M47 anytime over most Winchester single shots. I also have a M1885 SS that will shoot circles around most all my 22's. It's a 22 short. Big Larry