Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-05-2019, 09:40 AM
kev308

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New to 17 cleaning advise needed

As the title says, I'm new to the 17hmr. I bought a Savage mkll and last weekend it got it's first squirrel.
I know cleaning rimfires is (22's) is kind of a subjective thing amongst shooters, but I'm thinking the 17 is a different story.
So I wanted to ask what is your cleaning routine for your 17's? How often? etc.

Thanks for your help,
Kevin
Old 10-05-2019, 07:13 PM
jpx2rk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The 17hmr shoots copper jacket bullets, so you'll get copper in the barrel, will it affect accuracy?? Some shoot 'em till they don't hit what they are aiming at, some clean after x rounds, or maybe after every shooting session. I'm in the latter group.

I clean it like a CF rifle, getting the copper out with copper removing solvent.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:28 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What others have said recently about cleaning the hummer. https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1163031 https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1107897
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2019, 09:36 AM
tbates66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I recently started using KG 12 copper remover. It is amazing stuff without the harmful effects of ammonia based cleaners. My 17HMRs (Anschutz and Sako) shoot best clean. So I clean about every 100-200 rnds as I have time.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:24 PM
huntschool

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
kev308:

My first 17HMR was/is a NEF heavy barrel gun. It shoots bug holes at 25 and close at 50. Other then the crap trigger with transfer bar system it shoots lights out.

Being a break action, it is easy to clean and I do so about every 100 or so rounds paying special attention to cleaning the chamber and using a coper solvent in the barrel. I usually allow about 30 minutes or so to do a cleaning which lets me soak the chamber and then the barrel. A few patches and we are good to go.

Each gun has it own cleaning regiment and I think part of that is based on the barrel itself and part is based on the ammo you are shooting.

JMHO
Old 10-09-2019, 04:00 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Nothing too special. Just clean it the same way you would clean any other rifle.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:36 PM
RTDoug
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have always just used the weed eater line mashed out, pull through method with a pipe cleaner scrub in the chamber. Use the bore solvent of your choice.
YMMV