Anschutz finish - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-06-2019, 10:02 AM
Neckbender
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Anschutz finish

Wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of factory finish is on my Anschutz 1413. It has beautiful walnut but the finish is kind of flat. Oil from my face on the cheekpiece makes it a little more shiny than the rest so I was thinking of putting some oil on the rest. Can I do that? The rest of the stock is much more satin like and looks dry to me. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:08 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
I would suggest Renaissance wax.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:47 PM
wmrike

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
It's a lacquer finish. If you are correct in saying that facial oils are causing the shine, wipe it off. Wax, by itself, will not reduce the shine, but putting it one and rubbing it out will probably remove some of the oil in the process.

Most non-gloss finishes will, with a little use, develop a shine as the surface is polished. It's the way things work. Someone will shortly advocate using steel wool to knock down the shine, but that will have to be repeated after a while, and so forth - it won't end until you have worn through the finish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2019, 12:41 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmrike View Post
It's a lacquer finish. If you are correct in saying that facial oils are causing the shine, wipe it off. Wax, by itself, will not reduce the shine, but putting it one and rubbing it out will probably remove some of the oil in the process.

Most non-gloss finishes will, with a little use, develop a shine as the surface is polished. It's the way things work. Someone will shortly advocate using steel wool to knock down the shine, but that will have to be repeated after a while, and so forth - it won't end until you have worn through the finish.
The OP wants to increase the overall shine.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:17 PM
Neckbender
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Anschutz finish

Basically I just want the finish consistent. I've tried wiping off the gloss but it's like it's rubbed smooth. So I though I could make it all a little glossier and be consistent. As far as wax, I have only some old Birshwood Casey. Been sitting for a long time and I didn't want to chance it. I don't know what the other wax is that was recommended.

I do have some Maccari stock finish oil but didn't know if I should use that. Thanks for the help folks.

Steve
Old 10-09-2019, 01:56 PM
Plinkhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You can try wax and see how it works for your application. Shine depends on how much you want to buff it. Museums use wax for long term storage but that doesn't mean its the best for a daily shooter.

The pro wax crowd never addresses this part of using wax...from the NRA firearm museum:

Is wax what I really need to use for all my guns?
Possibly not, if you have a firearm you intend to use for personal protection. It is also not the best choice for a gun that will be fired regularly. Residues from firing will build up fast on a
waxed gunís surface and may impact functioning reliability. But if you donít plan on shooting
your firearm for a while, consider wax as the best preservative treatment.