Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-08-2019, 04:27 PM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman1947 View Post
Oh yea ,they came with 5 different sights ….
Indeed! According to John Gydé's "Remington .22 Rimfire Rifles", the Model 37 could come equipped with rear sights made by:
- Remington
- Wittek Vaver
- Marble-Goss
- Redfield
- or no rear sight at all!

Again, according to Gydé, the front sight was typically a Redfield globe, like yours, but it was also possible to order a 37 without a front sight.

The next step would to find someone -- someone with more sights smarts than I -- to identify the rear sight on your 37. However, it sure looks like one of the Remington-made sights to me.

Enjoy!
Dave

Last edited by dbuffington; 10-08-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:57 PM
404tbang
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman1947 View Post
I own 2 , 37’s , the one with a Johnson barrel , 1960 , is a shooter if I can keep my finger steady , 8 or more x’s At 50 yards , I purchased 2 cases of Eley from CMP , shoots very well . I also shoot RWS rifle match , at more than twice the price , a fun gun , it seems this rifle is from a time past , if you can buy one , buy it , I paid $1100 with the Johnson barrel . Oh yea ,they came with 5 different sights . It fits perfectly in a shotgun soft case .
Howdy Tman1947,

I have some of Eric Johnson's work. The one I have shot the most is a Remington 37 with a barrel he put on sometime in the 1950's and then set back the chamber in 1962. Impressive shooter. You will have to play around with different ammo to find what it really, really likes. Anything with an Eric Johnson barrel on it is a prize if it has been well cared for. Hope you love it.

Take care,

Greg
Old 10-08-2019, 06:03 PM
404tbang
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenT6Vet View Post
Will do. In addition to what I posted above, just let me know what angle you want to see. Serial number is 48xx. BSS is January 1947.

I'm hoping sights are original.
Howdy SevenT6Vet,

I have a theory, that perhaps DBuffington above can verify with his rifle.

Nobody is going to go to the time, effort, and expense to get good engraving or checkering done on an inaccurate rifle.

Try a lot of different types of standard velocity target ammo in it. It is revealing. Remington 37's had some of the best barrels made put on them. Enjoy your new rifle!

Take care,

Greg
Old 10-08-2019, 09:55 PM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 404tbang View Post
I have a theory, that perhaps DBuffington above can verify with his rifle.

Nobody is going to go to the time, effort, and expense to get good engraving or checkering done on an inaccurate rifle.
I like that theory ...

Enjoy!
Dave
Old 10-09-2019, 06:38 AM
christine
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
rem 37

..only thing I noticed from your original pics at the top..rear sight had a lot of rust and the accessory rail wasn't correct..as far as the checkering and engraving..that's a personal touch...in any event..enjoy your 37..one of my favorite REMS..[/B]
Old 10-09-2019, 07:49 AM
SevenT6Vet

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wrote Remington and sent them pics, they responded with "the engraving is not consistent with what our custom shop did during that period". Which was what I expected, but wanted to confirm.

Bore is flawless....zero pitting.

I'm going to try and enter a 22 match in a couple of weeks near me (Richmond, Va). I bought some CCI standard velocity, and will try several other flavors before jumping into the more expensive match grade.

A couple more pics:

http://www.winslowrifles.com/wp-cont...0/IMG_7947.jpg

http://www.winslowrifles.com/wp-cont...0/IMG_7946.jpg

Last edited by SevenT6Vet; 10-09-2019 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:55 AM
SevenT6Vet

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by christine View Post
..only thing I noticed from your original pics at the top..rear sight had a lot of rust and the accessory rail wasn't correct..as far as the checkering and engraving..that's a personal touch...in any event..enjoy your 37..one of my favorite REMS..[/B]
"a lot of rust"....maybe we are looking at two different pics? I don't see it.

The rail appears correct and consistent with the Remington long base mount for rear sight in the sticky thread above.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:57 AM
christine
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)

[B]on the original pics at the top..show the rear sight from the other side..the elevation slide has rust and the adjusting knob appears to have a good bit[...from the condition of the rest of the metal..the sight seems out of place..just an opinion..not a cut../B]
Old 10-09-2019, 08:59 AM
404tbang
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuffington View Post
I like that theory ...

Enjoy!
Dave
Sorta thought you might like that theory. Sorta thought you might post a target, too! And to my knowledge, we have never communicated before!

Take care,

Greg
Old 10-09-2019, 09:08 AM
404tbang
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenT6Vet View Post
I wrote Remington and sent them pics, they responded with "the engraving is not consistent with what our custom shop did during that period". Which was what I expected, but wanted to confirm.

Bore is flawless....zero pitting.

I'm going to try and enter a 22 match in a couple of weeks near me (Richmond, Va). I bought some CCI standard velocity, and will try several other flavors before jumping into the more expensive match grade.

A couple more pics:

http://www.winslowrifles.com/wp-cont...0/IMG_7947.jpg

http://www.winslowrifles.com/wp-cont...0/IMG_7946.jpg
That's a good looking rifle. The purists and collectors will gasp in horror about the engraving. But like I said before, I have a theory that nobody would go to the time and expense of having something checkered or engraved if it didn't shoot well.

I don't think the CCI Standard Velocity is gonna get you where you wanna go. But by all means try it. SK Standard Plus is a decent mid priced ammo to play around with, but there will be flyers in every box. Eley Black is good stuff, but a lot pricier. A lot of benchrest guys test lots in it before trying Eley Tenex. Lapua Center-X is supposed to be good. Just bought some to try in my 37 when I can.

Experiment around with a bunch of different ammo. And enjoy your 37!

Take care,

Greg