Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:31 AM
Thomasconnor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (76)
Threading the Muzzle?

Threading the muzzle on a benchrest rifle? Sacrilege I tell you! Nonetheless, I've done a couple of them. Why you should ask?

1) Obviously the number one use is for a Suppressor.

2) Not wanting to feel left out, I adapted my tuners and bloop tube to also fit by clamping them to a thread protector of the appropriate size or turned down to the appropriate size. They install or are removed in seconds.

The stainless Fudd tuner shows the black thread protector/adapter. The other devices also have one each. The thread protector/adapter can be had on ebay for about $12 shipped if I remember correctly.

Notes:

1) The bloop tube really softens the report and on a long barreled rifle it is remarkably quiet.

2) With calibrations noted, the tuners can be switched easily between rifles. I have a light (black Harrell) and a heavy (Stainless Fudd) tuner...Tom

Last edited by Thomasconnor; 09-10-2019 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:19 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's sounds like a good idea. It sure would allow for easy and quick removal and changes of muzzle devices.

Is there any reason to be concerned that threading a previously unmodified muzzle might cause any changes to the bore diameter at the muzzle?
Old 09-13-2019, 11:32 AM
Thomasconnor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (76)
As we know, Anschutz claims that to be the case so you buy their counter-bored threaded barrels as if they are special. Let me tell you how special....

I have one of these Anschutz counter-bored threaded factory barrels (1416 18" AV) and it had POOR accuracy; since replaced with a good shooting 1416HB 23" barrel for which I will be having the muzzle threaded.

I have no doubt the 23" barrel I will have threaded (and not counter-bored) will shoot better than the factory threaded (and counter-bored) barrel.

In practice I have noticed only an improvement in accuracy after threading when a muzzle device is attached, and no difference when a device is not attached after threading. I probably have a dozen threaded rifles.

So while Anschutz claims that threading opens up the bore at the muzzle, in practice I have not found this to be noticeable regarding accuracy...Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2019, 11:40 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
It may be that careful machining, not hogging as in production, relieves the barrel stresses in a way that does not negatively affect the bore? After roughing if the barrel is left to cool before doing the final, finish work you have much better dimensional control. Figure your machinist time in this process at the going rate, how much more would the factory have to charge to make that barrel?
Old 10-04-2019, 09:50 PM
earnest

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Tom, think about counter sinking the crown, threading short of the crown, then a tuner shaped similar to a reverse tapered barrel, only slightly larger weighing no more than 5oz. marty
Old 10-08-2019, 10:11 PM
earnest

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thomas, everyone today pretty much understands that a bloop properly proportioned can act as a recessed crown, different than a noodle or slide which we think supercharge the higher frequencies. about 11 years ago Don Stith sent me a 6" bloop with a locking light weight that could be moved . by far it was the neatest and by far the best tool to get a gun to shoot regardless of pressure or fps variation. so those of us fooling around with tuning realized fairly quickly that there was a difference between getting a gun to shoot and actually tuning a rifle. marty