Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-01-2019, 04:10 PM
Plainsman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The lust has been fulfilled!

I’ve been lusting after a TD since they came out! As I walked past the rack at Walmart today, I saw a CLEARANCE sign on one! I asked and found outthey had two stainless synthetics in stock and they were not going to carrying them anymore!

Needless to say my CCW couldn’t come out fast enough! LOL!

So now is the time to get it set up!

Ill be perusing old threads on accuracy, scopes and accessories.

In the meantime, if you have any pointers, they’d be appreciated!

And if you are looking for one or another one, I recommend checking your local Walmart(s) today!

Thank you!
Old 08-01-2019, 04:31 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First of congratulations! TDs are a lot of fun.

The big secret, and itís in the manual, is after assembly pull the charging handle back an release so ithe bolt slams into the breach a couple of times. This seats the barrel.

The second secret is the magpul backpacker stock. Really a nice up grade,

The third secret is it, like othe 1022s needs a better trigger. The choice is yours, from Bx, diy, Brimstone, to Kidd.

I like to put highviz sights on mine, and a red dot, like a trs 25. But lots of people scope them with bug busters or other small compact scopes.for me These are true plinkers not bench rest guns, so more accuracy better barrel hasnít crossed my mind. I guess you could cut a shorter chamber , but then the whole thing would have to be reworked to get it forward enough. Not worth it to me. But I have other choices.

Mine lives in the car , part of a get home bag, but in the winter, when I shoot indoors, it goes to range every Monday. And in the summer , if someone says letís go shooting Iím always ready! I run hv bulk ammo thru it and it likes everything. I use Bx 25 magazines, and they work great,

Really fun gun, youíre gonna be so happy
Old 08-01-2019, 05:29 PM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Congrats!

I upgraded my TDSS as follows

Magpul backpacker ODG

KIDD trigger kit

Tech Sights (some prefer a rail and optics)

Here is how mine sits today

It's a fun shooter. Make sure to adjust the barrel nut per the manual and then find which ammo it runs best

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2019, 06:07 PM
linux_author
US Coast Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
congrats! and just yesterday i acquired a stainless TD Charger... i thought they had been discontinued (no longer on Ruger's web site), but some popped up via a LGS and after some internal debate, i decided that my stainless TD 10/22 deserved a little brother...

first thing i did on getting it home was to take it apart for a fitment check and to do a slingshot mod on the trigger group... then today i ran a 200-round mix of CCI SV, CCI minimags, Rem Goldens, and Aguila SV - not a single hiccup!

quite pleased with accuracy @ 25 yds using a cheap, no-name red dot... here's one target of 15 rounds from the included Ruger mag (one round is centered in the bull under the bipod):

enjoy your TD - i love mine... wish i had these when i was much younger, but i'm running lots of range time to catch up!

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

p.s. VQ is running another clearance.. snagged a stainless target trigger for $23!!!
Old 08-01-2019, 06:07 PM
mpolk
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
TacSol SB-X barrel, Kidd Bolt and charging handle, Brimstone trigger, UTG BugBuster 3-9-32 scope, Hogue stock, and of course my Pilot 2 suppressor. Fits is the Ruger bag.

1022TD.jpg
Old 08-18-2019, 11:19 PM
MannlicherFan
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Here's one that's free & easy..

Page 16 of this manual 10/22 Instruction Manual... has instructions for adjusting the knurled adjustment knob.

Lock the bolt open, turn the knob all the way clockwise, install an empty magazine, then turn counterclockwise a notch at a time.

Keep turning the knob, constantly checking as you go until installing / locking the front end into place is snug as possible.

I've got mine set so the front end is tight as possible when locking it into place.

Seems to me that should result in improved accuracy.

Hope that helps, happy shooting
Old 08-19-2019, 01:56 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
And donít forget , run the charging Handel a couple of times to let the bolt slap seat the barrel!
Old 08-19-2019, 08:30 PM
S1loki
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Running an optic with the backpacker? Might I suggest you add the MAGPUL optic mount to the forearm. Keeps the optic aligned to the barrel, no matter how many times you takedown and reassemble the rifle.

The only drawback is just how little real estate is there to use. Might have to modify one to give it some more. In a cantilevered fashion.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:33 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I could not get mine to shoot well until I put it in a Backpacker stock. I have a Skinner barrel mounted peep and a Leupold Freedom 1.5-4x20 in the lowest rings I could find. It still fits in the bag.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:03 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1loki View Post
Running an optic with the backpacker? Might I suggest you add the MAGPUL optic mount to the forearm. Keeps the optic aligned to the barrel, no matter how many times you takedown and reassemble the rifle.

The only drawback is just how little real estate is there to use. Might have to modify one to give it some more. In a cantilevered fashion.
Never lost zero with my trs 25 on the receiver. But it’s 3moa, that’s a lot to loose . Maybe with a scope, but then you’d need a scout scope, this gun doesn’t warrant a Target scope , it’s definitely a field grade plinker, not a bench rider. Although that bug buster intrigues me, at 9 x I could see the pop cans explode better, but minute of pop can is all I want on my TD. I got a have something to burn up all the hv ammo I bought during the drought.

Ps mine shot fine in the stock stock, I shot it better in the magpul stock.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:59 PM
S1loki
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Never lost zero with my trs 25 on the receiver. But itís 3moa, thatís a lot to loose . Maybe with a scope, but then youíd need a scout scope, this gun doesnít warrant a Target scope , itís definitely a field grade plinker, not a bench rider. Although that bug buster intrigues me, at 9 x I could see the pop cans explode better, but minute of pop can is all I want on my TD. I got a have something to burn up all the hv ammo I bought during the drought.

Ps mine shot fine in the stock stock, I shot it better in the magpul stock.

I have mine set up to run different front halves. So I keep the primary sighting option with the front half. Retaining the factory barrel in one and a Tac-Sol X-Ring in another.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:39 PM
Plainsman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by octanejunkie View Post
Congrats!

I upgraded my TDSS as follows

Magpul backpacker ODG

KIDD trigger kit

Tech Sights (some prefer a rail and optics)
Im looking at getting the Magpul backpacker for one for sure!
Im considering the Tech Sights for one and a UTG Bugbuster for the other.

How well do the Tech Sights work with the TD feature? Any issues with maintaining zero?

Thanks!
Old 10-07-2019, 10:46 PM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plainsman View Post
How well do the Tech Sights work with the TD feature? Any issues with maintaining zero?
No problems

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk