Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-06-2019, 08:19 AM
brucegodlesky
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
win 67 stock finish

several of the 67 stocks in the herd seem to have a deteriorating finish, kinda sticky /gummy residue. Any suggestions to restore them to original??
Old 10-06-2019, 09:11 AM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It may just be dirt and oil from years of handling. I use warm water with a little simple green in it and a soft cloth to clean. Be sure to dry good after.
Have a great day
Jay
Old 10-06-2019, 09:26 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Sticky/gummy came on a couple of mine that had too thick of a basically linseed oil finish. It would never harden up so I used gloves and mineral spirit rags to pull it off the surface with a quick finish wipe with lacquer thinner rags. The wood looks Lots Better without that junk on top!
I let the wood be like that for some months and it seemed to be dry and stable so once the humidity was low I used some TruOil finish. It has hardeners and done in a thin coat, hand rubbed in, let to dry well and repeat for about 1/2doz. worked well. They have been fine for about 30yrs now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2019, 02:31 PM
killerv

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Last couple I did was strip them with citristrip, run them through a hot water dishwasher (no detergent). This really helps get in small dings, scratches out. After it is dry of course, I hit with it with coats of formsbys low gloss tung oil til I get it where I like it. Factory finish, no...but it certainly comes close to looking the part. Just had to do a model 55 that was all jacked up, bet the stock was three different colors.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:58 PM
aqbill

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
The stocks were originally finished with lacquer which is wonderful to deal with as it's easy to strip off and easy to re-apply to. Check out the finishing discussions by noremf (George) down in the "Stocks: Making, Repairing, Refinishing, Modifying, and Bedding" section of this forum. George is no longer with us having passed away recently but he sure knew his way around wood finishing!