Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-26-2019, 09:00 PM
Plinker22mag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger 10/17 It exists!

Came across this on Gunbroker last month and wouldve loved to shell out the 3k for it but don’t wanna tie up that much money in a gun I’ll never use. Just thought I’d throw it out there cuz I thought none left the prototype stage.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:45 AM
Ladykiller

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Very rare indeed. I remember one member here claiming he had one, but that was it. Nice to actually see proof.

Also worth noting, the receiver is stamped .17 Ruger, not .17 HMR. Could have been a prototype round? I wonder what was stamped on the barrel.

Last edited by Ladykiller; 09-27-2019 at 06:52 AM.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:39 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
WOW! That is so awesome! Did Ruger66 get it? He has all the good stuff!

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2019, 06:11 PM
DRob
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rare

Rare as hen's teeth, I'd say. I believe one of the original "Maggits", who posted as Chief Dave, did some consulting with Ruger reference the WMR and HMR versions. I think he had a prototype 10/17. If I had a documented Ruger-produced 10/17, it would take a lot more than $3K to pry it out of my hands.

Like Ladykiller, I am curious about ".17 Ruger". Never heard the term.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:53 AM
Sure_Shot

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
I have magazines with full page advertisement by Ruger for the 10/17. I know people that shot the prototype(s). There was never any doubt Ruger made them. There was concern of lawsuits so they didn't release them to the public. Remington saw an opportunity to be the only HMR auto other than Volquartsen. They suffered the consequences and ultimately recalled them.

Sure Shot
Old 10-01-2019, 09:00 AM
DRob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
10/17

It would've been cool to shoot a prototype. I wonder how many there were and how one would have ultimately gotten into private hands. Now that I think of it, the barrel from a 96/17 could fit a 10/22M receiver although I can't imagine why anybody would do that. Thinking along the lines of "cloned" muscle cars, here.

Remington "suffered the consequences" alright. Being the stand-up outfit (sarcasm) they are, they made sure their customers suffered along with them. There was a huge gnashing of teeth here when it was made known that Remington was recalling them and would "buy" your 597 .17 HMR back for about half what you paid for it. The reimbursement was in the form of a coupon good only for other Remington products. Their reputation took a hit for that generosity and I'm sure some owners simply refused to send them back.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:23 AM
jcloer1
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Savage A17 has worked beautifully from day 1. After shooting a thousand or so rounds in a day it will need cleaned. That requires a small punch and about five minutes in the field (typically on my tailgate), then I'm back in the action. My shooting buddy has spent much time, effort and money in the last couple of years trying to make a custom 10/17 work. The timing of the cycling is always the struggle. I've seen a round blow up in his face once. That would have ended the project for me, but he is still trying to make it work.

Considering the cost, reliability and frustration...I can't imagine why anyone still pursues this route. I paid around $350 for my A17 when it was new. A decent donor 10/22M seems to be about triple that these days!
Old 10-05-2019, 08:36 PM
DRob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A17

Glad to hear there's a factory HMR semi-auto running well. Seems like I heard there were some issues early on. I'm not surprised Savage figured the problems Ruger couldn't but I'm willing to bet Ruger's attorneys were more involved than their engineers. As for why we spent so much time and money modifying a 10/22M, well, I would submit that lots of 10/22 owners are tinkerers and the parts for the magnums used to be readily available. The 10/22 has always been the Barbie doll of rimfires!
Old 10-05-2019, 09:16 PM
jcloer1
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Agreed! My buddy is definitely a tinkerer. 🙂 I will likely inherit my dads 10/22M down the road. I have always wanted one but didn’t Spring for one while they were still in production and reasonably priced.