Considering a P22 - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:18 AM
FrankW
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

My friend got his Ruger SR22 back from Ruger and it shoots good. Accuracy is good for the gun style. They replaced the barrel on this second gun. I wish they built the SR22 as well as they back up their products.

Frank
Old 10-03-2019, 07:05 PM
Black Knight
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I saw a Ruger SR22 today with a canted rear sight. Evidently Marlin is making the SR22 ;-)
Old 02-16-2020, 08:19 PM
GunDad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hello there new member here. Well I went ahead and bought my daughter a new P22 Can version after reading all the issues and hoping I bought a good one. Took her to the range and out of 250 rounds of CCI mini mags only had about 2 or 3 mags that didn't have issues with FTE. I read with CCI mini mags it runs smooth. I have read through the P22 Bible and not sure yet if I try and use different ammo, break it in more, send back for warranty, it just start modding a brand new gun. I did install the captured recoil spring and ordered the volq ejector. I hope that helps but not counting on it. Bummer it didn't go good out the box, not fun for a kid when it is jamming over and over.

And advice I would welcome, I read try ammo like CCI but heavier like 40 grain? I was using 36 grain since I have thousands of rounds of it.

Thanks
Old 02-16-2020, 08:55 PM
LeverGunFan
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunDad View Post
Hello there new member here. Well I went ahead and bought my daughter a new P22 Can version after reading all the issues and hoping I bought a good one. Took her to the range and out of 250 rounds of CCI mini mags only had about 2 or 3 mags that didn't have issues with FTE. I read with CCI mini mags it runs smooth. I have read through the P22 Bible and not sure yet if I try and use different ammo, break it in more, send back for warranty, it just start modding a brand new gun. I did install the captured recoil spring and ordered the volq ejector. I hope that helps but not counting on it. Bummer it didn't go good out the box, not fun for a kid when it is jamming over and over.

And advice I would welcome, I read try ammo like CCI but heavier like 40 grain? I was using 36 grain since I have thousands of rounds of it.

Thanks
Try different ammo, my older P22 used to run well on Mini Mags, but not so well with the latest batch of Mini Mags I bought. Curiously it likes Remington Golden Bullet hollow points.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:24 PM
GunDad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hmm, didn't see an option to reply with a quote. Thanks for the ammo suggestion. I will give the Remington a try as well as some stingers and probably some 40 grain as well. I was a little upset hearing people say it runs with minimags but people don't want to pay for minimags. I have a bunch and don't mind shooting them, so when I had issues with minimags I thought oh great lol. I will take it to the range without my daughter and see if I can find what it likes. If all else fails I guess I will send it back to see if they can make it reliable. However, from what I have read it seems as if I need to let it break all the way in or apply the mods to allow the slide to move more freely.

I have this logged into my Tapatalk app now so I figured out the quote issue.

Last edited by GunDad; 02-16-2020 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:27 PM
jamesp15

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I was teaching my niece and nephews to shoot a pistol I used my P22 QD. The gun was having issues with extraction/ejection, I watched them closely and they were "limp wristing" the gun when firing or jerking the trigger.
I had them tighten thier grip on the gun and hold thier wrist more rigid, also to slow thier squeeze of the triggers and MOST of the issues went away.

I had trouble with lower velocity ammo ("1200FPS" and below) in it when I first got it, I switched to Aguila Interceptors and CCI Velociraptors (both "1400FPS" advertised) and have had few issues since. Stingers work fine as well, and have an impressive fireball at twilight/dark lol.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:55 PM
GunDad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesp15 View Post
When I was teaching my niece and nephews to shoot a pistol I used my P22 QD. The gun was having issues with extraction/ejection, I watched them closely and they were "limp wristing" the gun when firing or jerking the trigger.
I had them tighten thier grip on the gun and hold thier wrist more rigid, also to slow thier squeeze of the triggers and MOST of the issues went away.

I had trouble with lower velocity ammo ("1200FPS" and below) in it when I first got it, I switched to Aguila Interceptors and CCI Velociraptors (both "1400FPS" advertised) and have had few issues since. Stingers work fine as well, and have an impressive fireball at twilight/dark lol.
Lol, fireballs are always fun to watch. One of my childhood memories is shooting my dad's S&W 44 mag in the evening when it was dark and watching that fireball.

Thanks for the input! I thought about if she was limp writings as I have seen that often with people and their Glock 26's. So I %%%% a mag through with a solid grip and it did the same.

I am going back Thursday and will take stingers, some CCI minimags in 40 gr, some Remington Golden bullets, and Aguila. All those seem to have the best results from people shooting them. I was using mini mags but 36 grain. I have read to use 40 gr and up. I hope that fixes the issue. Thanks again!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2020, 10:20 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First, make sure the chamber is clean. A round should simply drop into the chamber with a plunk. If it does, the chamber is clean enough. Again, recently we have been running into a few complaints of weaker ammo working but mini mags not extracting. What appears to be happening in these cases is that there is a problem with the machining of the chamber. With the more powerful ammo the case is expanding against some irregularity in the chamber wall. This is not something that will go away with a few hundred rounds through the pistol. If mini mags pass the plunk test, you aren't dragging a hand on the slide, the pistol is being held firmly but not extracting and ejecting the spent case....you likely have a chamber problem. Until recently this was never heard of. A quick trip back to Walther on their dime should resolve the issue.

I've never had a P22 do this but we have discussed this at length several times and it is the only thing that makes sense. A couple of pistols went home and returned after a chamber polishing and then functioned fine. Rem Goldens should run about 100% also. The P22 requires a snappy round. I'm shooting CCI Quiets suppressed at present and some of them just don't have enough blow back energy....but they are quiet. If I really want to be quiet with them I add water to the suppressor and hold the slide shut with my left thumb. 1917
Old 02-17-2020, 10:37 PM
GunDad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
First, make sure the chamber is clean. A round should simply drop into the chamber with a plunk. If it does, the chamber is clean enough. Again, recently we have been running into a few complaints of weaker ammo working but mini mags not extracting. What appears to be happening in these cases is that there is a problem with the machining of the chamber. With the more powerful ammo the case is expanding against some irregularity in the chamber wall. This is not something that will go away with a few hundred rounds through the pistol. If mini mags pass the plunk test, you aren't dragging a hand on the slide, the pistol is being held firmly but not extracting and ejecting the spent case....you likely have a chamber problem. Until recently this was never heard of. A quick trip back to Walther on their dime should resolve the issue.

I've never had a P22 do this but we have discussed this at length several times and it is the only thing that makes sense. A couple of pistols went home and returned after a chamber polishing and then functioned fine. Rem Goldens should run about 100% also. The P22 requires a snappy round. I'm shooting CCI Quiets suppressed at present and some of them just don't have enough blow back energy....but they are quiet. If I really want to be quiet with them I add water to the suppressor and hold the slide shut with my left thumb. 1917
Thanks again, I will try Remington gold ammo also this Thursday. I did check the chamber and the bullet drops in and falls out with no issues. I did notice that the mini mags I was using seemed to have a good amount of wax and was wondering if that could have been and issue. However, the issue started on the 2nd mag of a brand new P22. I did break it down and clean and only applied a small amount of oil to barrel and then a clean patch after like normal cleaning.

Thursday I am going to just test function with different ammo. If problem continues I will send it back to Walthers. I will document what issues I am having if any and take pictures. I will be by myself this time and will have the time to really look into it. When I went over the weekend I had my daughter shooting it for her first time and just wanted her to enjoy it so just kept seeing it was the same issue and clearing it for her. I did install a Galloway captured recoil spring before going to the range. Half way through installed the stock recoil spring and had the same issue so that ruled out the recoil spring.

Oh and you make me so jealous. Being able to use a suppressor is not an option for me . Being in California I have the CA model and stupid barrel nut that is on with some type of adhesive. Even getting new ammo to try out I will have to break down and do the background check and dros for ammo. I haven't had to buy ammo since they passed the stupid law.

Last edited by GunDad; 02-17-2020 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:40 AM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
From what I read you are having an extraction issue (only), not a feeding or firing or ejection. Extraction, the spent case is sticking in the chamber. This of course can sometimes lead to ejection issues. If the case is sticking in the chamber what would likely happen is that the slide is blown back a bit, case still in the chamber and stuck or, the case can be barely blown out when overcoming whatever is causing to stick. In this situation the case might not eject and simply be shoved back into the chamber. Weak ammo, dirty pistol, hand on the slide can cause the same issue. But with a clean pistol and good ammo, firm grip this should not be happening.

Next, if the spent case has really expanded against some irregularity inside the chamber then even then trying to pull the case out with the extractor might not work. When firing the extractor plays no part in pulling the case out. It is used for pulling live rounds out. It does play a part in ejection direction but not extraction.

Remember, the case only goes into the chamber the length of the case...1/2" or so, no further unless you are shooting CCI Stingers or CCI shot which both have a bit longer case. So if there is a chamber problem it is at the rear of the chamber. You might not be able to determine this with a new round. The cases do expand though when fired and I find that fired cases do not always fit back into the chamber easily, particularly more powerful CCI ammo. Is the brass thinner and expands more than other brands. I don't know. I find it to be excellent ammo. You should not have to purchase Stingers or Velocitors. Mini Mags and Rem Goldens should run 100% (dud rounds excepted).

Limp wristing causes all manner of problems and is easy to do with this very light and short barrel pistol. Longer barrel pistols allow more blow back energy to be developed and generally function better with regard to weaker ammo. They are also more accurate.

What exactly are the issues you are having. example; We fire a round and the case remains in the chamber and the next round in the magazine remains there. Or, we fire a round and sometimes the spent case jams the slide open, or, we fire a round, the case remains in the chamber while the next round feeds into the rear of it jamming the slide. Those all tell me a different story. Do you see any odd marks on the case of spent rounds once they have been pulled from the chamber? 1917
Old 02-18-2020, 09:39 PM
doublechaz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think it might help to put a single round in the mag and then work the slide and shoot. This will help eliminate drag from the rounds in the mag, but more than that you can focus on recovering that one spent case and examine it for marks such as 1917 has described. I'd do this a whole bunch of times to collect a good sample to examine. If you have a dial caliper you could also check the cases for odd shaped expansion, but I doubt you'll need to do that.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:45 PM
Bigborgel
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had all 3 guns, the S&W,Ruger and P22. I currently have the Ruger only.

S&W-nice gun but it stovepipes like crazy, and S&W is doing nothing about it.

Walther- liked it's looks the best, but it's the least reliable of the 3, FTF FTE, etc,etc. It has a pot metal slide.
I think a big part of it's issues come from the magazines, it went bbye-bye.

Ruger- this gun has given me zero issues, feeds well, reliability is excellent, it will shoot bulk ammo all day. This is the clear winner, S&W #2, Walther way last.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:44 PM
guymalloc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The CA (California) model P22 Q doesn't have the captured recoil spring, or the removeable barrel cap to allow for a threaded barrel end. I have a QD model (non-CA) and still had to replace the extractor with an aftermarket one to make it function reliably. Needed reshaping of the head of the new extractor to make it catch the rim of the shell better. Kept the original in case I need to send it in to Walther ever. So far it cycles perfect, and empty cases positively exit to the right, not overhead and down my neck. Make sure any additional magazines are the Q model ones, otherwise you may have issues.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:34 AM
GunDad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well just got my daughter's P22 back from Walthers. Took almost 4 weeks, they replaced the barrel. Says it was tested and passed. I look forward to testing it again, although I have to wait since they have the state shutdown at the moment.

Will give an update as soon as I get to run some mags through it. Hope everyone is staying safe during this crazy time.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:01 AM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A new barrel is a good indication that you might have had a badly machined chamber. Until recently this was never heard of. We have run into this recently. CCI Mini Mags firing but not extracting and obviously not ejecting. Owners report that lower velocity ammo sometimes works but not CCI Mini Mags. If so, the first thing to do is thoroughly clean the chamber with a brass brush. Do the plunk test by dropping in a round.

The chamber/ammo passed that but after firing the case was difficult to remove from the chamber. That is either a chamber problem or an ammo problem. With proven ammo such as CCI there is a strong case for a bad chamber, especially if you don't see any split cases or other problems that might indicate an ammo problem. I have made the head of customer service aware of what we are seeing on a few pistols and the efforts we have taken to assess it. Two members got the chamber re-honed which cured the issue and GunDad got a new barrel. I don't know of issues that don't show up here or at Walther Forums.

Walther needs to figure out what is causing this and correct it pronto. 1917