Old 10-02-2019, 04:16 PM
1911nut
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anyone sorting ammo by concentricity?

Here’s some info:

http://nielsonbrothersarms.com/22%20Concentricity.htm

Loose bullets and a 2” diameter barrel ! Wow! I found this pretty cool.

Here’s the full website:

http://nielsonbrothersarms.com/Rimfire.htm
Old 10-02-2019, 06:23 PM
MKnarr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have no first hand experience with concentricity but here are two stories.

Bill Calfee maintains if you have a tight chamber it will straighten out any round that is not concentric. He even made a challenge. Find a round that is out of concentricity Chamber it and measure it again. "it will now concentric. " As I remember no one took up the challenge.

Second is secondhand info. The smith that replaced my barrel does some work for an olympic shooter. One of the shooters claims that the coaches tried the Nelson Brothers tool and found no difference. Of course they weren't using bulk ammo either so maybe that's why it made on difference plus they are also using carefully selected lots of the highest quality ammo.

I once bought a rim thickness device. After many experiments, I sold it so you can guess my success with that.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:46 PM
1911nut
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mr. Nielson put a lot of effort in his testing, it caught my interest.

My first thoughts were I needed a die to straighten bullets or a device to loosen bullets.

Over the last couple of months I sorted two bricks (different lots) of Center X by rim to ogive using the Neco G3 tool. Ammo in Both bricks varied in length by 0.004”.
Many 5 shot groups comparing unsorted and sorted ammo resulted in noticeably smaller groups shooting the sorted ammo due to fewer fliers. I did not see a difference between shorter vs longer ammo in my rifle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2019, 11:32 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I used a rim thickness sorter long ago, no joy.
I began using an easy sorting method for less expensive ammo and proved its worth to me. Ymmv
Dump a box, check each visually for gross defects. Bad stuff becomes plinkers or foulers.
If it passes visual give each bullet a light twist test in the case. Tight go in one cup, sorta in another, loose in a third.
Test em at least at 50yd.
I found the tight and sorta tight were pretty much the same. I also found if I gave the sorta tight a bit more twist they often tightened up. Testing showed they were as good as the tight so now all get the 'extra twist', if they tighten up they go into the tight cup, the others in with the loose.
So it came down to an easy sort in my easy chair (fitting, that ), visual cull, two cups of 'crimp sort'.
Still no control over the innards, same as always, but Ive done what/all I could.
And I agree, chambering an out of concentric cartridge will straighten it out, same as a 'guide die', and once the slap in the pants happens it all becomes rocket science.

Last edited by gcrank1; 11-08-2019 at 11:34 AM.