Feddersen 16.25 Bull BBL install, 1983 10/22 Sporter - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-26-2019, 11:31 PM
Wegger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Feddersen 16.25 Bull BBL install, 1983 10/22 Sporter

Hey all, new guy here. Wanted to say thanks for all the good info. Looking forward to seeing and hearing about your rifles and shoots. Also want to catch up on all the trick stuff Iíve been missing over the years. This is my old 1983 10/22 sportier, with same vintage Leupold 3x9x40. Itís been on a bunch of midnight frog leg hunts over the years. It generally shoots about 1Ē at 50yds, but Iíve always wanted a tack driver, so after my last trip to the range where I shot my friendís Ruger Precision Rimfire (one ragged hole at 50yds), I pulled the trigger on some upgrades. Did a bunch of googling and reading here on RFC, decided on the Feddersen 16.25Ē threaded bull bbl, the Ruger drop-in BX trigger group, a Hogue stock, and a bipod, to keep it pretty budget friendly. Just received my goodies a few days ago and I gotta tell you, Feddersen was a pleasure to deal with. Great service over the phone, and fast shipping. Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 612DBFE1-0C87-4330-9936-9F76C9CB6556.jpg (497.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 09-26-2019, 11:40 PM
Wegger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, I was *planning* to go to the range and do some good before/after groups and comparos, with pics and such, but I got impatient and just went ahead and did the install.

- F.J.Feddersen 16.25 threaded bull bbl.
- Hogue overmold stock
- Ruger BX trigger group

It was pretty simple, casual hour and a half at the workbench with a cocktail.

Disassembly was easy. Remove scope, trigger group, bolt. The original bbl came out very easy, just a slip fit.

Cleaned the receiver and bbl mating surfaces with a brass brush and carb cleaner.

Applied some moly anti-seize to receiver and bbl mating surfaces.

The new Feddersen bbl was a slightly tighter interference fit, and wasnít able to seat all the way by hand, so used an automotive heat gun to heat the receiver to uncomfortably hot without gloves, and the bbl slipped right in. While it was still movable by hand, I lined up he bbl notches by eye, and used the v-block and just snug bbl screws to get the notches completely square. Made sure the extractor mated up to the bbl notch, and cinched the bolts down by hand to a ďhand calibrated 1 foot poundĒ, alternating side to side like lug nuts.

The BX trigger group dropped right in, and I had to use some new Weaver medium scope rings vs the low rings to get the scope bell to clear the bbl.

Hogue stock bolted right up.

Looking forward to finally getting to the range! It always shot best with CCI SV, and maybe marginally better with Federal Target. Iíll try an assortment of ammo thru it this weekend and experiment with the stock screw tension. If youíve got any suggestions, Iím glad to hear them. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6E4998EC-9A81-4574-97EE-957367EA6DEA.jpg (530.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 1CCFA758-AE0B-49A1-A7BD-8B1A2B64A403.jpg (349.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 09-27-2019, 01:42 PM
mpolk
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2019, 03:13 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
You should have a great shooting 10/22 now. I have 3 10/22's with Feddersen .920 barrels and they are all tack drivers. A little advice on the V-block you only want to tighten the screws to about 10 in/lbs. As far as the TD screw every one of my 10/22's seems to shoot best between 18 - 22 in/lbs. Good luck.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:55 PM
ammohog
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
WARNING!! .......... Shooting your upgraded rifle may cause involuntary smiling and grinning, and perhaps you may be seen giggling or drooling. Be careful! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!! Good job! ........ AH
Old 09-28-2019, 12:48 AM
Bird-Dog

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Good choices.

Personally though, I hate to see an older Deluxe Sporter broken up. I know 10/22's of that era aren't considered particularly collectible (yet?), but it's still a nice old rifle the way it was.

Wouldn't take much to complete the upgraded rifle with all new parts and put the DSP back in original order.

All you'd need is a receiver, bolt, and a few odds and ends like pins, a V-block, and action screw. If you shop hard all that can be had for about $125, maybe less (assuming comparable parts such as a Ruger factory receiver).

Last edited by Bird-Dog; 09-28-2019 at 12:51 AM.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:57 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That’s a real nice first build! Congratulations! It’s similar to my first build . Hogue overmold KSA barrel and a Hornet Black Max, no bx triggers then, latter upgraded with a Jwh bolt and charging handle.

As for the sporter stock, Now that you’ve got the build bug, there is no cure, mine now Sports a 20 inch GM sporter barrel, Brimstone tier 2 and Jwh bolt and charging handle. S&P out fitters for the receiver and pins and v block, code RFC gets you 5% off, send the old Trigger to Brimstone, Rimfire Sports for the GM barrel about $300 bucks in parts and it will amaze you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E6CD0951-F912-4F8D-A22D-FFF9E7F856A1.jpg (498.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 6CC3BEF6-2FB5-4799-80B8-E99A2FABD605.jpg (496.2 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Toomany22s; 09-28-2019 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:36 AM
stevebla
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice clean looking rifle, hope it exceeds your expectations. I have more shooting and tinkering fun with 10/22 than everything else. Bird Dog has a point! I changed one part at a time until I had three rifles and five barrels.

Last edited by stevebla; 09-28-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:28 AM
Wegger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird-Dog View Post
Good choices.

Personally though, I hate to see an older Deluxe Sporter broken up. I know 10/22's of that era aren't considered particularly collectible (yet?), but it's still a nice old rifle the way it was.

Wouldn't take much to complete the upgraded rifle with all new parts and put the DSP back in original order... snip ...
Thanks Bird Dog. I had the same thought, and depending on how this one goes and how much I actually use it, I may take your suggestion and put it back to stock. The tinkerer in me has already been pricing the bits Iíll need.

Planning to take it out to the range tomorrow for its first shoot. 👍
Old 09-30-2019, 10:32 AM
Wegger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Thatís a real nice first build! Congratulations! Itís similar to my first build . Hogue overmold KSA barrel and a Hornet Black Max, no bx triggers then, latter upgraded with a Jwh bolt and charging handle.

As for the sporter stock, Now that youíve got the build bug, there is no cure, mine now Sports a 20 inch GM sporter barrel, Brimstone tier 2 and Jwh bolt and charging handle. S&P out fitters for the receiver and pins and v block, code RFC gets you 5% off, send the old Trigger to Brimstone, Rimfire Sports for the GM barrel about $300 bucks in parts and it will amaze you!
That 20Ē GM Sporter bbl looks great! Thanks for the input.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:26 PM
calinb
GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegger View Post
<snip>

Planning to take it out to the range tomorrow for its first shoot. 👍
Without photos, it didn't happen!

Seriously, I've been thinking about duplicating your build (my first semi-serious 10/22 mod/build) and following your thread. Happy with it?
Old 10-28-2019, 05:05 PM
SteveinAK
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Looks good! If it shoots anything like my Kidd, it should be an accurate SOB. The first time I went to the range with my Kidd barrel and some SK standard I was pissed because I fired a 5 shot group and only saw one hole through my scope. I thought somehow I had missed with the rest, like my reticle in the scope crapped out. Until I went down range and found they all went through the same ragged hole. Incredible what a 10/22 can do with a quality barrel, trigger and ammo.