Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-28-2019, 05:37 PM
GTOBOSS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New Vudoo Squirrel getter!!

Got me a new squirrel gun! Wanted to keep the weight down so I went with the new Manners MCS-UC. The stock weighed in at 17.0oz. Scope is a March 2.5-25x42 with seekins rings. Bottom metal is Hawkins. Could have made it lighter but I stuck with the 18" Specter barrel. Total weight as seen is 7lbs 15oz. Not too bad! I think a sub 7lb Vudoo is possible with the right scope and barrel combo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic 1.jpg (510.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg pic 2.jpg (512.4 KB, 43 views)
Old 09-28-2019, 06:53 PM
Sagittarius

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's a cool looking rifle and should be great for squirrel hunting.
Lots of good ideas for cutting the weight down to a reasonable level.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:41 PM
J Scott
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Now that is the ticket! Congrats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2019, 08:46 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Finally, I've been trying to find a thread or review where someone is using the Vudoo for squirrel hunting! I know the rifle is designed for target shooting or long range stuff with bipods, etc. That's not what I want mine for.

I really like that stock.

Mine will pretty stock, all from Vudoo Gun Works. It is the crow in the Grayboe (olive stock and vudoo green crekote) stock with 18" ranch contour barrel. It is supposed to weight 6.5 pounds. I'll be putting an older Leopold AO scope, the 3x9 or the VXII 4x12.

I think that stock your rifle has on it would lighten up mine by another half pound.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:34 PM
GTOBOSS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowwild View Post
Finally, I've been trying to find a thread or review where someone is using the Vudoo for squirrel hunting! I know the rifle is designed for target shooting or long range stuff with bipods, etc. That's not what I want mine for.

I really like that stock.

Mine will pretty stock, all from Vudoo Gun Works. It is the crow in the Grayboe (olive stock and vudoo green crekote) stock with 18" ranch contour barrel. It is supposed to weight 6.5 pounds. I'll be putting an older Leopold AO scope, the 3x9 or the VXII 4x12.

I think that stock your rifle has on it would lighten up mine by another half pound.
I really struggled with the specter over the ranch contour due to weight but ended up with the heavier of the two. I think the proof barrel would lighten it up even more but for what I'm using it for it will be fine. I imagine both of those scopes will be lighter than my March so yours should be pretty light. I ordered mine as a full gun, I have a Greyboe renegade stock which is HEAVY....I think it going to get used only for bench work. Vudoo is supposed to be producing some 5 round mags (shorter) which will be what I use for hunting whenever they release. Post pics when you get yours.

Last edited by GTOBOSS; 09-28-2019 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:33 AM
J Scott

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
deleted

Last edited by J Scott; 09-29-2019 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Too much about my rifle, I felt distracted us from the OP's thread :)
Old 09-29-2019, 08:39 AM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm very interested in this Manners stock (MCS UC) you have on your rifle. The light weight is very attractive to me.

If you don't mind me asking:

The only thing I'm uncertain about is the "bottom metal". Will the bottom metal that comes with my full build Crow fit this manners stock?

Do I need only to get the stock?

Will it be 100% drop-in.

I'm not much interested in hacking on such expensive equipment.

How long does it take to get a stock like that from Manners?

Thanks
Old 09-29-2019, 10:10 AM
Utjeep

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks like I might have to get a second Vudoo. I really like your rifle, great job!
Old 09-29-2019, 02:39 PM
wolfshoon
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowwild View Post
I'm very interested in this Manners stock (MCS UC)

The only thing I'm uncertain about is the "bottom metal". Will the bottom metal that comes with my full build Crow fit this manners stock?

Thanks
Probably not. I'm having AG composites build up a similar carbon fiber privateer stock and there was a difference when selecting bottom metal for Badger vs Hawkins Precision DBM, even though both are an M5 standard. When I picked up the DBM at Mile High SA I compared the Hawkins and Badger DBMs and it looked like just flange thickness differences and the weights were almost equal, but I didn't have a caliper handy to absolutely check.

I'll look at my HP metal and compare it to the stock grayboe DBM later today and see if I can spot any differences. I do know the grayboe DBM is a little more than 6 oz and the HP barely breaks 3 oz.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:56 PM
GTOBOSS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Vudoo bottom metal will NOT work on this stock. The metal is too wide at the bolt flanges. Any regular M5 inlet style DBM will work though they range from ($130-stupid). It took Manners exactly 6 months from order to ship for mine. The only thing that was needed was the pilars needed to be installed which is a matter of epoxying them in (holes are already drilled) and any bedding you want to do.

Last edited by GTOBOSS; 09-29-2019 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:04 PM
SDWhirlwind

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
What is SOOOOO great about the Vudoo is shown here. It is expensive and many won't purchase one but then again of all I have read how many shooters change their mind after either shooting one or seeing all the different builds on this forum and others.

Probably biggest winner for the Vudoo barreled action is its design by Mike to fit into anything a 700 will. With colors, design,materials you probably have 1000 choices or more from McMillan to Manners and all the others made of composite/fiberglass/plastic to the chassis types, any kind of wood your heart desires if you choose etc. Then to the barreled action with whatever color you want, choice from several high end brands, length, contour. Then your choice of trigger brand, single or two stage from $100 to $400 ish. Then comes several choices on how much cant for scope rails. Scopes, look at all the pics posted with different optic choices from probably a couple hundred to $5K. Other option choices for bipods etc.

With all of this I have yet to see a Vudoo built that looks awkward and/or out of place. Try to do this with other barreled actions. Probably the only one with much aftermarket support would be a CZ????? So much of what makes building the Vudoo to what you want is being based on the 700 receiver wise? So much that isn't custom per say and you don't have to wait months for. Speaking of which is how proficient and timely Vudoo has been with putting these 'masterpieces' together. There is no well send me your money and I might have it done in 6 months....or maybe 12.....or maybe more etc.

Just so cool to see all the different options and configurations customers choose and then reading what they have accomplished with their rifle whether basic build or full blown $10K nothing held back bells and whistles.

Well, enough of a ramble, I am out of breath!
Old 09-29-2019, 04:52 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for this information.

I'll wait for the Grayboe stocked one and see how I like it. I think the Manners illustrated in this thread is a good 1 pound lighter than the Grayboe. However, I wonder if I mess up the balance of the rifle by going too light? Probably not, yours feels good with the heavier barrel, right?

Then, if I want to go lighter I can do the Manners later. Waiting 6 months for the build is a bummer but I've waited 1.5 years for a custom recurve bow before -- 3-4 times.