Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:58 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Good work. If you can get the 3.4" barrel model to cycle you would certainly have no problems with the 5" barrel. The slide is the same on both pistols but the longer barrel provides more blowback energy, is more accurate. How about another picture or two of exactly what you did? I expect there are many around who would like to add the right red dot to their P22....I know I'd be interested in adding one. Never did follow through.

I will have to ask Crete if these are legal in 25M rapid fire competition. 1917
Old 11-25-2017, 01:30 PM
Brother In Arms

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think I have mentioned and/or pictured all details (did you notice the text embedded in the pics in post #18? Perhaps you missed the thumbnails to that post), but I can give some comments to the process.

BTW with your documented skills 1917-1911M, this will be a walk in the park :-)

As Norwegian I'm all metric, and I choose M3 threads. Drill holes for M3 are 2.5mm. As the max hold strength for any given thread is reached at screw size x 1.5 (and nothing is gained with added length beyond this), I choose the fattest areas of the breech block to reach those ideal 4.5mm (3x1.5). Because of this, the holes are offset and not parallell.

I used a picatinny mounting plate that came with my FF3. If doing this from scratch with a free choise of optics, I think I would go for the JPOINT or Shield RMS, as it got a lower profile and is lighter in weight. Weight is a consideration, and I shaved of metal not needed, and I can lighten the plate even further by drilling a big hole in the front of the plate (see previous pictures).

When establishing the position of the mounting plate, you have to consider the pre-threaded holes for the optics and avoid conflict with those. As you can see, I came close to one of those after my mounting holes had been countersunk.

In my hobby grade drill press I drilled the hole "B" (post #18) from the side with the "ears" pictured, as that made it more easy for me to center. I then put the breech block back in the slide and fastened it with both the roll pin through the slide and also put the extractor and pin back, to make the setup exactly as normal. I then drilled through hole B and through the slide with a 2.5mm drill, and drilled hole A all the way though in one operation.

The hardest part was aligning the mounting plate in the right position and find the drilling points. I used super glue that did not hold up that well at all, and positioned it atop the slide. I then put the slide with mounting plate in a vice (avoid crushing the corner pins for the optic - I chrushed one and had to file it down) and through the breech block holes I drilled tiny marks in the mounting plate. I then took the mounting plate off again, and drilled 3mm holes through it (3mm to give some slack to allow for some adjustment when tightening the screws), and countersunk those from the top. Then the slide was tapped M3.

I think that pretty much sums it up. :-)

As for competition legal I don't care as I have retired myself from competitive shooting now, and I shoot just for recreational purposes. I might attend a competition now and then just for the fun of it, but I then shoot outside off the formal match as I do not comply with my optics. I think the polymer sights still can be used over the mounting plate if I only remove the optic. If you also remove the plate, you can blind the holes in the slide with some stop screws and use the pistol as an ordinary P22. You will have to sight in the optics again, but it should not be off by much.

The P22 with red dot sight is a pretty amazing thing. I'm having a great time with this "reborn" P22, and my only regret is that I did not do this modification a long time ago.

Have fun!

:-)

Last edited by Brother In Arms; 11-26-2017 at 08:56 AM. Reason: typos
Old 11-26-2017, 11:54 AM
guymalloc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
https://www.stackingbodies.com/produ...SABEgLRrPD_BwE

Why modify your slide? I prefer bolt-on mods that can be easily removed....
Old 11-26-2017, 04:53 PM
Brother In Arms

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have one of those stacked away. Won't let you holster the gun, and makes for a very high line of sight above the barrel.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:04 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymalloc View Post
https://www.stackingbodies.com/produ...SABEgLRrPD_BwE

Why modify your slide? I prefer bolt-on mods that can be easily removed....
The bridge mount works well enough but you have to remove it to field strip the pistol and then re-zero. Had one, gave it to someone. 1917
Old 11-28-2017, 09:32 PM
aubie515
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I would love to have a red dot for my P22.

Has anyone tried the EGW dovetail mount? EGW is a local company for me, so I know I could get the mount from them.

Some folks have brought up the thought that the dovetail mount will be too high and the dot will be tough to locate. I don't know how true this would be, but it's gotten me to think about using this mount.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:29 AM
Brother In Arms

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
I would love to have a red dot for my P22.

Has anyone tried the EGW dovetail mount? EGW is a local company for me, so I know I could get the mount from them.

Some folks have brought up the thought that the dovetail mount will be too high and the dot will be tough to locate. I don't know how true this would be, but it's gotten me to think about using this mount.
The EGW Mount is not for the P22. I had to return mine. They just say "Walther 22" in the description, so the text is misleading. Perhaps it is for the PPQ, I don't know. The P22 has no dovetail, the polymer sight is attached to a loop.

Last edited by Brother In Arms; 11-29-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:34 AM
guymalloc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
The bridge mount works well enough but you have to remove it to field strip the pistol and then re-zero. Had one, gave it to someone. 1917
Ahh, you're right about that, and no holster would suck. I thought a reflex sight or full scope would be cool, but impractical...
Old 12-02-2017, 12:16 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is all Walther's fault....they could easily modify the slide and offer their own line of fancy money making sights for their most popular pistol. 1917
Old 09-23-2019, 08:55 AM
Glocksucker66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey everyone! My friend and I were extremely interested in the EXCELLENT work Brother In Arms and 1911 did on their P22. We did our own optic mount using the guidance that you put fourth and they turned out great!

Used a #43 bit to drill the holes using a mill. Tapped for 4-40 threads. We went a step further and milled a channel down the middle of the optic mount so it could “nest” on the center rib on the slide. Thinking this would mitigate any axial movement. I don’t know if it helps or not but it was more mill practice which is never a bad thing.

We made the holes a little more forward than Brother In Arms did to accommodate for the optic plate existing screw holes.

After the drilling on the slide was complete, we back drilled into the optic and then countersunk the holes. The countersink on the screws was a little bit different that the countersink we had so that’s why it doesn’t look very good. But it works and will be covered up.

Put the screws in with 222 purple light duty loctite since they are small screws.

The project turned out good. Can’t wait to get an optic on it and go shoot it.
IMG_9047.JPG
Old 09-25-2019, 09:55 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome Glock....got any pictures? Many of us use Imgur, a free hosting site. I'm sure this can be done but you need to right equipment for accurate drilling and threading. The lightweight bases and lightweight reflex red dots. It might be possible to even cut a slot in the rear of the mounting base that fits securely over the threaded sight loop. If clamping the breech block to the top of the slide/mount...a slight amount of material might have to be removed from the top of the firing pin...say 5/1,000". The top of the firing pin runs very close to the underside of the slide.

I've cycled weights in excess of what these small red dots/base weigh. Not necessarily Docter with real glass. Too bad Walther doesn't accommodate these. A small change to the slide would accomplish this and these little sight look good on the pistol. Have shot with them they are certainly easier for me to aim and aim quickly vs open sights. Put up some pictures if you can. Yes, every time you do something you can do it better the next time. 1917