Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:17 PM
johnt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Marlin pump .22 at auction

At a recent local auction, a Marlin Model 38 pump .22 in good condition sold for just over $1,200. Are these that valuable or was this a case of auction fever getting out of hand?
Old 12-23-2017, 08:00 AM
pump .22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnt View Post
At a recent local auction, a Marlin Model 38 pump .22 in good condition sold for just over $1,200. Are these that valuable or was this a case of auction fever getting out of hand?

Unless there was something really special about it.....it sounds like a case of folks raising their hands when they shouldn't have...... I have sold several of these in the last year or so and got nowhere near that price. Wish I had been at that auction with them.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:38 AM
vepr762

TPC Rating: 
91% (10)
I've never seen a "good" condition one sell for more than $500 if it had a good bore.

$1200 + the buyers premium.....2 guys were drinking heavily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2017, 02:19 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was thinking in the $450 - $550 range if in good condition. Maybe a bit more if really, really nice and depending on the buying audience. No way $1200 unless engraved with gold inlay or something really special.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:46 PM
Sav22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I stopped bidding at $1100 and lost it to an absentee bidder for $1200, my next bid would have had to be $1300. High, but not way out of line IMO, the auctioneer asked me about it later and said the absentee bidder and I were the only two bidders... and the absentee bid was originally left for $2000 and then raised to $2500... so I never had a chance. If anyone can find me another comparable one, I still have the $1100. ... barrel must be stamped "MARLIN ROCKWELL" and still have the Swibelius rear sight and early Marlin logo butt plate. If you want a Marlin Rockwell to complete a collection, I don't think you get many chances. I have had 2 Model 32's, but never one of these.

If either one of us were not bidding it would have brought under $400, if it were a standard 38 I wouldn't have even bid that - I'm sure the winner will be happy with what he paid and for what it went for I'm kind of happy I didn't win at $1100 - that was my 'not real happy either way bid', I had thought it might get near that if a collector saw the barrel stamp. Some other Marlin collectors thought that might be a little high but they can't find any for sale for less. I know of one Marlin Rockwell 38 that's been reblued with an asking price more than that.

Last edited by Sav22; 12-23-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:20 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav22 View Post
I stopped bidding at $1100 and lost it to an absentee bidder for $1200, my next bid would have had to be $1300. High, but not way out of line IMO, the auctioneer asked me about it later and said the absentee bidder and I were the only two bidders... and the absentee bid was originally left for $2000 and then raised to $2500... so I never had a chance. If anyone can find me another comparable one, I still have the $1100. ... barrel must be stamped "MARLIN ROCKWELL" and still have the Swibelius rear sight and early Marlin logo butt plate. If you want a Marlin Rockwell to complete a collection, I don't think you get many chances. I have had 2 Model 32's, but never one of these.

If either one of us were not bidding it would have brought under $400, if it were a standard 38 I wouldn't have even bid that - I'm sure the winner will be happy with what he paid and for what it went for I'm kind of happy I didn't win at $1100 - that was my 'not real happy either way bid', I had thought it might get near that if a collector saw the barrel stamp. Some other Marlin collectors thought that might be a little high but they can't find any for sale for less. I know of one Marlin Rockwell 38 that's been reblued with an asking price more than that.
Ok, that makes it something very much out of the ordinary at which point all bets are off when it comes to bidding prices. Collectible items are hard to predict. OP didn't indicate that the gun was anything special other than in good condition.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:26 PM
vepr762

TPC Rating: 
91% (10)
A "Marlin-Rockwell" roll stamp does make a HUGE difference. Heck, anything stamped M-R is going to bring a HUGE premium.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:11 PM
Sav22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The gun was not free of issues, there were some rust spots on the receiver, a couple of edge dings on the rear edge of the upper receiver that must have occurred when the gun was taken down. The stock had some scratches and the finish on the lower rear had a wrinkled appearance - but most of the original finish was there. The front sight was missing the white bead and the Swebelius rear was missing the locking piece and had a dent in the ring where it was missing...

... but it was still the best original Marlin Rockwell Corporation 38 I had ever had a chance at, I just wish the 'other guy' hadn't seen it, I might have got it for under $400, the internet bid was only at $275. The other guns at the auction were going very low. I did not hesitate driving it to $1000, and didn't pause very long when I bid $1100 - I sure saw a lot of confused looks on people after this one!

These do not have external serial numbers, this one had a three digit number stamped inside the receiver which I think was the serial number, if I remember right it was 720.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:02 PM
johnt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Guess I didn't take a close look at it. Don't know much about Marlins so I wouldn't have known it was a collector item anyway. Good luck next time Sav22. It's nice to know there's another RC member around here. :-)
Old 10-20-2018, 09:12 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
86% (9)

My Model 38 isn't a Marlin Rockwell Corp gun, it's a later ca.1927 round barrel with the buttstock numbered to the receiver.

Last edited by Pete44ru; 10-20-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:59 PM
redmist

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
That's a beauty. I hope it shoots as good as it looks for you.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:12 PM
NHcollector

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This morning I paid $600 for a Model 20. I haven't done much research on it yet but it is in pretty good condition, 90% blueing, quite nice wood. It is marred by having wrench marks on the barrel flats at the receiver, not horrible but unfortunate. The shop owner and I looked in the book, they start around $500, go up to $1,200 or so. Not Rockwell marked, just a sweet little pump .22 I had not been aware of. I have Winchester 1890s in all four calibers, a pre-12 Model of Remington in C configuration, a Colt Lightning in .22 Long, very nice little thing. Today I also bought a Stevens Model 70 Visible Loader, mostly in patina but functional. $260 for that. A Winchester Model 60 singe shot with a Lyman 55R peep mounted on the receiver rounds out today's .22 haul, with a beautiful Savage model 1899 in Savage 300 thrown in. It is in 95% condition and has a Bausch and Lomb scope on a no-drill mount. I'm gonna have to sell a few guns... Oh, going back tomorrow for a Winchester Model 69A, 95+%, very interesting specification, has a Sears scope mounted in side attached rings, a notch is in the left side of the stock for a peep, receiver is drilled but no peep included. The front sight blade is unlike those I've seen on 69s. $300 seems like a good price, the magazine is perfect, none of the usual corrosion.

A major Savage collector sold twelve Savage 99s, some very nice Winchester lever guns, a beautiful Savage Model 1907 .22 ACP pistol, 99%, with a sealed box of period Savage ammo. $600 got it, but not my $600. It's Ramen noodles for the rest of the year.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:13 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a model 20 in very nice condition with excellent bore with a Lyman tang sight. It is one of my favorite carry guns and has taken a few squirrels. Very light and handy....quiet petite.