Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-30-2019, 06:41 PM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpx2rk View Post
Your translation/opinion is nowhere near being correct nor on topic. After reviewing some of your other posts, I can see you have a higher opinion of yourself than others do.
I appreciate the compliment. I would appreciate it even more if you took the time to tell me how you came to your conclusion. What part of what I said didn't you understand.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:34 PM
PO2Hammer
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpx2rk View Post
Your translation/opinion is nowhere near being correct nor on topic. After reviewing some of your other posts, I can see you have a higher opinion of yourself than others do.
Got that right!
Old 07-05-2019, 01:41 PM
PO2Hammer
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Back on topic, I think the 16's are ideal for ballistic uniformity, everything else (bedding, harmonics, balance, bull vs taper...) is random or personal preference.

I'm a big fan of tapered 16" barrels on compact (youth size) stocks.
My 10/22 is getting the Feddersen 16" taper.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:38 PM
mpolk
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
22 ammo (other than stingers, velocitor or 60 grain) reaches it's maximum stability and velocity in 16" to 16 1/2". Off hand shooting, anything longer is mostly in the eye of the beholder unless you are shooting iron sights. Then the sight radius is longer giving the shooter a better sight picture. If shooting off a bench the added weight of a longer barrel makes it a bit easier to stay on target longer, but 16" is pretty much all that 22 ammo needs to be stabilized.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:52 PM
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpolk View Post
22 ammo (other than stingers, velocitor or 60 grain) reaches it's maximum stability and velocity in 16" to 16 1/2". Off hand shooting, anything longer is mostly in the eye of the beholder unless you are shooting iron sights. Then the sight radius is longer giving the shooter a better sight picture. If shooting off a bench the added weight of a longer barrel makes it a bit easier to stay on target longer, but 16" is pretty much all that 22 ammo needs to be stabilized.
What would the optimum length for velocitors be? I like to keep one rig loaded with them for around the house.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:07 PM
mpolk
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
In the neighborhood of 18". Personally I would never shoot them because most of my barrels either Bentz of Match chambers and are not recommended.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:20 PM
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpolk View Post
In the neighborhood of 18". Personally I would never shoot them because most of my barrels either Bentz of Match chambers and are not recommended.
I know that stingers are not recommended but I thought velocitors are ok. Been shooting them in my KIDDS and not having a problem. Please let me know because if I am wrong I certainly don't want to shoot them.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:38 PM
mpolk

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The velocitors may be okay, but I just will not use them. Kidd barrels have a match chamber so I shoot match ammo thru them. JMHO
Old 07-09-2019, 09:29 AM
Stockcrafter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't think I have ever seen a competition (Olympic, NRA prone & position), .22 rifle from the major manufacturers (Anshutz, Walther, Winchester, Remington, etc.), with a barrel length under 24", and these folks are looking for accuracy bragging rights. You would think that if 16" gives max. accuracy they would offer it at least as an option.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:27 AM
Racer X

TPC Rating: 
96% (24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockcrafter View Post
I don't think I have ever seen a competition (Olympic, NRA prone & position), .22 rifle from the major manufacturers (Anshutz, Walther, Winchester, Remington, etc.), with a barrel length under 24", and these folks are looking for accuracy bragging rights. You would think that if 16" gives max. accuracy they would offer it at least as an option.
aren't they all using iron sights, thus the longer barrels
Old 07-09-2019, 11:13 AM
Darrell Davis

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Very good point Racer!

CDOC
Old 07-09-2019, 12:42 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockcrafter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
aren't they all using iron sights, thus the longer barrels
If it were just sight radius they were after, wouldn't they use a 16 inch barrel and a bloop tube? One of the more accurate 10/22s I shot was a Arcadia Machine & Tool rifle with only 12 inches of rifling and 4+ inches of hollowed out bull barrel.

If one of the great variables in 22lr ammunition is velocity, could a foot of drag and modest pressure have the effect of reducing velocity differences?

I've had a couple of CZ/BRNO long barreled rifles that provided good groups with ammunition people detest. I wonder if some of that was the reduction of MV differences and very little gas racing past the bullet as it leaves the barrel.

A few years ago I read a longish paper on barrel rigidty. These relationships aren't linear. A 12 inch barrel of a given diameter isn't twice as stiff, but four times as stiff as a 24 inch barrel and eight times stiffer than 36 inches. If those competition rifles were giving up rigidity for length, there must have been some benefit to the extra internal volume.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:46 PM
Wegger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Davis View Post
I have the 16.25" fluted .920" barrel and couldn't be happier.

this slightly tricked out 10/22 replaced a very accurate Clark Custom 77/22 with a longer .920" barrel that was very heavy.

Much prefer this barrel length and weight! And the accuracy is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

It out shoot the CRuger, and that is an accurate rifle.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Thatís a good looking rifle my friend. Love the stock.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:17 PM
Darrell Davis

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks!

A 10/22 is fun, but this rifle is the most accurate .22 rifle I've ever owned, while still loads of fun.

The Clark Custom 77/22 with the Walther barrel was accurate, very, but the 10/22 with the Feddersen barrel out does the Clark.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot