Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:36 PM
GuitarmanNick

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question Marlin 795 Ammunition and Accuracy

First, I will say that my hands shake and my eyesight is not the best so my days of shooting one hole groups with any rifle are long past. That being said, if I take my time and really focus, I can still shoot fairly well with a scope.

Last weekend, I decided to see just how well I could shoot my 795 @ 50 yards using a Simmons 3-9x32 scope. Mine has McCarbo springs and I have done some work on the trigger to eliminate the pre-travel and reduce the pull to 3.5 pounds. This should give me decent results overall without sacrificing reliability.

With CCI Mini-Mags I was able to put 5 rounds in less ~3/4" consistently starting with a cool barrel. Every round was accounted for and near the point of aim. Overall, I was pleased with this.

Next I tried some Federal Premium Champion ammunition that came in a 525 round bulk pack. I expected a difference, but was shocked at the change in performance. The first 5 shots all hit but the group was around 3". I figured the next would be better but it was not. Only 4 rounds hit the target and the group of 4 was again about 3". This was repeated two more times, and yes one shot was not on the target each time. Each group was fired beginning with a cool barrel so heat was not a factor. This result frustrated me, so I packed up for the day.

I checked the scope mounts and all was found to be in good order with the rifle so I can only conclude that the Federal ammunition does not play well with my 795. Gladly, I only purchased the one box of Federal.

I was wondering if any others have had similar or contrasting results in their experiences. What other ammunition gives results as consistent as Mini-Mags?
Old 09-09-2019, 08:43 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In my model 795's (and 70) I use CCI Standard Velocity. For me it's very accurate

Last edited by Jammer22; 09-10-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:09 PM
Marlin567994
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I gave away all my Federal 22LR ammo. I had the same performance in my Marlins, some looked like shot gun patterning. I have CCI standard velocity to shoot that exclusively and I'm happy with the performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 10:56 PM
vinco
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I've had good luck with Federal AutoMatch, but not too much other Federal rimfire ammo. To me, it's just bulk ammo to do a lot of shooting with.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:16 AM
GuitarmanNick

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the input gents. It makes me feel better knowing it was the ammunition.

Not sure I will ever use it, but it should be okay to store in case the supply of good stuff dries up. It would probably be fine for plincking with an AR conversion which I do not own since they are not known for accuracy, anyway.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:03 PM
Fasteddie01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ammo Accuracy

Hi Nick - Saw your posts about your 795 and wanted to share this info I've collected. I slugged the barrels of my M-60 and Savage 64 then measured much of the ammo I have on hand. Lots of variations in diameter and also OAL. Both have effects of accuracy I think, and the length is involved if you have measured your leade from base of the chamber to the forcing throat. I haven't done that yet but the diameter measurements have so far supported comparing slugs with bullets. I find that the M-60 has about 0.224" at the grooves and shoots CCI-MM and CCI-SV and Fed BlackPak 36gHV the best. Those all measure about 0.224-5". The Savage is a bit tighter at ca. 0.2175-223" and shoots the CCI-MM 40g & CCI-HP 36g best.
I found the Fed Champion pretty inconsistent (due to size variations?) but the Fed A-M is OK in the Savage. I've attached the chart I made so far - still need some more measurements to finish it. And I haven't shot all the brands in both guns. I've only had the M-60 for a few weeks.
Ed
Attached Images
File Type: png Ammo Stats 9-24-19.png (102.9 KB, 18 views)