Need Advice - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:00 PM
Mike Michalski
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Need Advice

New to building 10/22s and struck out big time trying to use Azimuth Technology barreled action and bolt (they finally just gave the money back $600+). Not knowing where else to look I ordered an barreled action and bolt from Browning (Ruger). While I'm seeking some accuracy (my Cooper does 0.300" 10 shot groups at 50 yards), I would like to approach that with a 10/22. What parts and techniques would be a good place to begin again? I'm not talented or in the trades so skill is in short supply. Ideas please!
Old 09-22-2019, 06:44 PM
Bird-Dog
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Kidd
Old 09-22-2019, 07:48 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird-Dog View Post
Kidd

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2019, 08:07 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
I am in the minority, I have had as many bad kidd barrels as i have had great ones. that being said, i would probably just use a cheap 10/22 as a base and build it into what i wanted. if i was really serious I would use a shilen or lilja barrel.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:42 PM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kidd Supergrade. They guarantee accuracy but only 1/2 at 50 yards...
Old 09-23-2019, 08:54 PM
Teachu2

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Michalski View Post
New to building 10/22s and struck out big time trying to use Azimuth Technology barreled action and bolt (they finally just gave the money back $600+). Not knowing where else to look I ordered an barreled action and bolt from Browning (Ruger). While I'm seeking some accuracy (my Cooper does 0.300" 10 shot groups at 50 yards), I would like to approach that with a 10/22. What parts and techniques would be a good place to begin again? I'm not talented or in the trades so skill is in short supply. Ideas please!
I think you mean Brownell's. I have half a dozen 10/22s, from nearly stock to completely non-Ruger. My best from a bench is a Kidd Supergrade barreled action with a 20" Kidd Match heavy stainless barrel, Kidd two-stage trigger, mounted in a Victor Titan stock with the Victor rear mount that is specific to the Kidd receiver. Next is my first build, a Ruger receiver and bolt with a E.R.Shaw 18" heavy stainless, Kidd two-stage, in an older Archangel sniper stock. My third best is a Ruger 10/22Target model, all original except for a Kidd two-stage trigger. On any particular day, #2 and 3 may beat each other.
The other three are walking guns. Two are virtually identical: Ruger receivers and bolts, Kidd UltraLightWeight barrels, Axiom stocks, Kidd Trigger Job kits in Ruger ploymer housings, Kidd extended scope bases, Nikon 3-9x33 EFR rimfire scopes. If the stocks weren't different colors, I couldn't tell them apart. They actually shoot MiniMags extremely well. The squirrels hate them. I ended up with a Kidd complete single stage trigger group with nowhere to put it, so it went in #6 - a Ruger Compact. Surprisingly accurate, short and light, and I don't freak out if a grandkid drops or scratches it.
As you might have figured out, I'm really happy with Kidd. All six of these triggers are delightful to shoot. The three Kidd barrels are superb, with the Supergrade being in a class by itself.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:05 PM
Teachu2

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem-E View Post
I am in the minority, I have had as many bad kidd barrels as i have had great ones. that being said, i would probably just use a cheap 10/22 as a base and build it into what i wanted. if i was really serious I would use a shilen or lilja barrel.
Clem-E isn't kidding - he's in a very elite group of people who have had bad luck with Kidd. That can happen with any brand, but in seems to be extremely rare with Kidd. There are lots of very experienced folks here who recommend Kidd.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:15 PM
Teachu2

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
BTW, YouTube is your friend for lots of first-hand videos on 10/22 mods. I'd recommend watching several, then keep them handy. The 10/22 is the most popular rimfire to modify, much like the AR-15 is in centerfire. Lots of aftermarket accessories all the way to complete guns based on the original design. Ruger left lots of room for improvements in order to hit the price point.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:01 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lots of choices, a barreled brownells, might not do the trick of .3 10 Shot groups at 50:yards. But it might. So if I were you you , Iíd get the magpul hunter stock. eBay $106 , plus the high cheek piece, eBay, 15. The Kidd single stage trigger , charging handle and bolt, Kidd $350. Put it all together, youll have to buy some pins and screws , oversized stainless from eBay $20. Get a plastic buffer. A decent scope,and rings and if you got the railed receiver , your fine, otherwise an Amazon utg Rail $8 And put it all together, and go shoot it . 10 round mags, Sv ammo. And see what you got. If itís good itís good, if not now you got to get a role of aluminum tape and tape bed the action. Thatís a few strips of the tape on the side of the receiver and on the back end. Just enough to make it fit snugly into the stock. , shoot again.

If it doesnít shoot as well as you want it too. Thatís the time to think about a replacement barrel. Kidd is the obvious choice. But there are many others. I personally like Green Mountain Barrels. They shoot very well and come in a wider variety of options from 18 inch bull barrels to 22 inch Running boars, fluted or non, suppressor ready or not, stainless or not heavy tapered barrels, tapered barrel etc... I have a KSA barrel, itís microgroved, and itís a great shooter. And I have a Shilen barrel, a fantastic barrel indeed.

The choices are myriad. So good luck, have fun, and donít worry!
Old 09-24-2019, 12:20 AM
ILIKE1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teachu2 View Post
Clem-E isn't kidding - he's in a very elite group of people who have had bad luck with Kidd. That can happen with any brand, but in seems to be extremely rare with Kidd. There are lots of very experienced folks here who recommend Kidd.
I recommend Kidd 20" stainless barrels. I have 5. All shoot excellent. They shoot even better with a tuner.

You mentioned Cooper and 10 shot groups. A few to show that are 10 shots with a tuner. Now before someone accuses me of cherry picking these are 10 shots. Kind of hard to cherry when you shoot that many. Can I shoot them all like that? Nope. But it shows accuracy potential of Kidd barrels.

Last edited by ILIKE1022; 09-24-2019 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:46 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
I would not touch a chromoly kidd barrel ever again. my 2 older stainless barrels shoot really well. the 20" bull is 1/2 MOA at 50y barrel, the 16.5 stainless I have has been good for sub 1/3 MOA at 50y. the replacement chromoly 16.5" they sent me stuggled to shoot MOA at 50 with lapua. the first one was shooting 1.5" at 25y. I dont know if they had a bad batch of chromoly or not, but they didnt seem to concerned about the second barrel being junk too.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:04 PM
Mike Michalski
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Need Advice

Thanks for the responses. Good advice all. Gives me the direction I was looking for. I'm not new to RimfireCentral (mostly use A/R) but this thread is most satisfying. THANKS AGAIN