rifle + Winchester ammo accuracy - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:46 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
rifle + Winchester ammo accuracy

Apparently there's been some disagreement of what's acceptable accuracy of the B.Mag...and/or...the ammo.
I live and hunt in the bush of upper Upper Michigan, no prairie dogs, and a long shot on most varmints here is over 50 yds.. 1/2-3/4" with factory hunting ammo @ 50yd and I'm golden.
Whats good enough for you where your particular, any brand rifle, and ammo don't gather dust or gotten sold in frustration?
Venting is allowed, nay, encouraged. 1/2" @ 100yd bragging target pix aren't necessary, we'll take your word for it.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:59 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, here in SE Iowa my hunting grounds are greatly varied. We have plenty of under 100 yard shots and have plenty of open areas where we can stretch shots as far as you can imagine.

I shoot mostly 20gr for small game and shooting is between close shots and beyond 200 yards. The main goals are tree squirrels and an occasional rabbit, coyote, groundhog, and feral cats. I also carry a box of 25gr for larger than squirrels and rabbits. I kill squirrels as far as I can see them.

Topping my rifle is a 6.5X-20X scope and almost all my shots are on the 6.5X setting.

I enjoy great accuracy with my skinny barreled Savage BMAG and no longer have to sneak to within .22 range. I kill game easily at 200+ yards.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:12 AM
Ponyroper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The main use of my BMag is for prairie dogs and on a good day with a good lot of ammo I can reach out to 200+ yards which to me is amazing. On a shaky day or with a bad lot 150 yards is stretching it. The annoying part is how I don't know what kind of day I will have until I start shooting and the inconsistency of the ammo is frustrating. Still it's a fun gun to shoot and I wouldn't give it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2019, 03:03 PM
ricky9x22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Apparently there's been some disagreement of what's acceptable accuracy of the B.Mag...and/or...the ammo.
I live and hunt in the bush of upper Upper Michigan, no prairie dogs, and a long shot on most varmints here is over 50 yds.. 1/2-3/4" with factory hunting ammo @ 50yd and I'm golden.
Whats good enough for you where your particular, any brand rifle, and ammo don't gather dust or gotten sold in frustration?
Venting is allowed, nay, encouraged. 1/2" @ 100yd bragging target pix aren't necessary, we'll take your word for it.
Here are my 2 little B-mags, like you, our hunting is 50 yards to a max of 200 in open fields. The gray one is for hunting, while I have fun on the bench with the red one in the Pro Varmint stock, both will shoot good 1/2" groups at 50 yards/ angle of squirrel head and will, if I do my part 1" groups at 100 yards. There have been better groups before, but the average is 7/8" to 1 1/4".... sometimes larger due to ammo choices! But no benchrest/target guns by no means, but good ole fun guns to have and shoot!
Rick
pair of 17's.jpg
Old 08-13-2019, 07:13 PM
wonderdog1
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
As to the accuracy of the 17 wsm. ammo, l have found it to be fine. The only time l have shot paper with my Volquartsen is to sight it in for PDs and ground squirrel shooting. I now have a B mag and waiting for my Boyd’s stock and rings to come in. Haven’t even shot it yet.

I did have ammo issues my first time out. I thought it was the gun and sent it back to Volquartsen. It wasn’t ejecting the spent brass. My next shoot it was fine for maybe forty rounds and started having the same problem. By this time l was getting a little upset and decided to use a different gun. I had been using some Winchester brand 17 wsm. ammo. (I know they’re are all made by Win.) l had some Federal 17 wsm. ammo also and started using it, problems went away! So yes the 17 wsm ammo could use some better quality control, but I’m sold on the cal.

Sorry it took me so long to say I like the 17 WSM cal.

Wonderdog1

Last edited by wonderdog1; 08-13-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:09 PM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I live in South Central Pa. and my shots are usually 100 yards or less. My Bmag has a pencil barrel and boyds laminate stock. Actually ,come to think of it my shots are usually 75 yards or less. Anyway I just love the weight of the rifle and the way it handles. It shoots 1 to 1.5" at 100 yards off the bench which suits me. Some ammo a little better but this girl will not shoot with a fouled barrel. I can live with that though as she is first shot accurate. Also my 1 to 1.5" groups are only three shot as the barrel heats up fast. I have to take a cleaning kit along to the range and scrub the barrel every thirty to forty shots. Then I shoot 2 or 3 foulers and she is ready to hunt.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:10 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For a rimfire round, the 17 WSM, IMO, is the King at killing stuff. I, personally, think it's a little light for coyote size critters, but inside of a 150yds and with good shot placement, it should be fine. Unless I was in a rimfire only area, a 17 WSM would never be my choice for shooting coyotes. Not sure I'd pick the 17 WSM for groundhogs or their smaller cousins, rockchucks, like we have out west, either. Maybe if I was shooting them no further than 150 yds but I've got numerous other options in the safe that are just a better choice, but for PD's and all the different varieties of ground squirrels, in a rimfire cartridge, the 17 WSM is King.

Could the ammo be better, definitely. Could the guns that are chambered in 17 WSM be better as well as more choices, absolutely, but as long as my Bmag keeps hitting what I aim at, with the ammo that's available, I'll just keep shooting it and try to keep my complaints to a minimum.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:42 PM
Schultz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I live in eastern Oregon where ground squirrels are the primary target.For several years the 17hmr was the preferred caliber for numerous reasons price,availability, etc. When ruger came out with the 17/17wsm I purchased one online after reading negative reviews of the savage b-mag. The price point was high for a rimfire rifle including adding a hard trigger but I justified my purchase since I live in the heart of sagerat country. I immediately fell in love with the cartridge and rifle when first shooting rats in Burns,Oregon,that I saved up for a franklin armory 17wsm the following year although that rifle had piston issues that have since been repaired.Most of my shooting has been 200 yards or less but I rarely break out my 17hmrs anymore.I try to purchase 17wsm ammo when it goes on sale and sometimes it's close to 17hmr ammo prices.For shooting ground squirrels I have found the 17wsm plenty accurate since most shots are center mass.I am using vortex viper glass 6.5x20 and 4x16 on both rifles.While I have found that the 17hmr may be a little more accurate on paper it pales in comparison with the 17wsm with destructive effects and the 17hmr tends to get blown off target easily as our eastern oregon winds typically increase as the day progresses.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:17 PM
mtiehen

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I use my BMag during the early prairie dog “season”, but by this time of the year on our hunting spots, the shots are stretching out to mostly 275 yds or more. Last weeks hunt found us taking most shots in the 350-450+ range. That’s when the 17wsm stays home, and the .204 and 22-250 really shine. My son plunked a few at around 225 with the BMag early on, but the gymnastics of the center fire guns later in the year keeps me loading for them and saving the 17s for next year.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:21 AM

TPC Rating: 
50% (1)
I can vouch for the effectiveness of the .17 WSM on coyotes out to 150 yds. Killed one at a laser 148 on Jan 2.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:15 AM
RimShot1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A couple years back, bought my honey a B-mag " Lady Hunter" from Cabelas!! A package deal! Bushnell Banner 17wsm specific scope and a Boyds lady hunter stock! Oh and the "slim" bbl.! Pretty to look at but lacking in accuracy!! Tried ALL the different ammo! Still lacking, then seen vid on YouTube about bedding the action! Preston chango !! Recently put 4 rounds in 1 hole at 40yds! Could cover the hole with a dime!!
Old 09-19-2019, 05:27 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RimShot1 View Post
A couple years back, bought my honey a B-mag " Lady Hunter" from Cabelas!! A package deal! Bushnell Banner 17wsm specific scope and a Boyds lady hunter stock! Oh and the "slim" bbl.! Pretty to look at but lacking in accuracy!! Tried ALL the different ammo! Still lacking, then seen vid on YouTube about bedding the action! Preston chango !! Recently put 4 rounds in 1 hole at 40yds! Could cover the hole with a dime!!
Glad you got it worked out and shooting RimShot. Welcome to RFC, the greatest rf site in the universe!
Old 09-24-2019, 01:07 PM
Tuck2
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger 17 WSM Tune Up

I glass bedded the action with two inches of the barrel and free floated the barrel to the muzzle. Installed a target sear and spring resulting in three pound trigger pull. A washer was installed between the two piece bolt to reduce head space . The rifle now shoots one inch 100 Yd groups most of time. I live in prairie dog country .I stopped using a 17 HMR rifle since tuning up the 17 WSM rifle. It's a 250 Yd PD shooter when it's not windy. I also use a accurate 204 Ruger , 17 Fireball , 223Rem , and 22-250 rifles . All 17 WSM is made by Winchester . Jest have to try out different brands to find what your rifle likes.

Last edited by Tuck2; 09-24-2019 at 01:12 PM.