What textured "spatter" spray paint over laminate? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:34 PM
Boomer...

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
What textured "spatter" spray paint over laminate?

I purchased a Ruger Charger laminate stock from an online seller for not much cost. As is often with laminate stocks, final pattern depends on where the wood blank was cut and how exposed laminate levels appears after being profiled to final shape before clear poly topcoating. This one is pretty boring and less appealing than the one that came installed on my new Talo 04919 (non-takedown model, stainless on brown laminate). I decided to give it a different look, so sprayed a light coat of Krylon Fusion semigloss yesterday (after wiping fully with iso alcohol and drying overnight), which didn't produce uniform fine mist since it was an older can I had on hand. Stopped and still letting it cure as-is before proceeding further.

What I'd like to achieve is a finish such as what Boyd's calls "texture" which is more like a spatter finish. Question being, what type of paint do they use and is it available in a rattle can for 1-step application? After using 3M Scotch-Brite in the receiver and barrel inletting, I "dusted" those areas lightly with the Krylon Fusion and will mask before applying textured/spatter finish. BTW, I did fully disassemble to the wood stock. I figure I have one more "shot" at the desired results by applying an aerosol product before this stock is a write-off. I've gone back 12+ subforum thread topic pages plus the stickies too without finding anything specifically related.

Images are; sample "texture" finish from Boyd's website and same finish on a CZ rifle (IIRC, sourced from Boyd's?) from the CZ site. TIA!

Last edited by Boomer...; 06-23-2019 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:46 AM
Danv
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I tried this on a CZ trainer stock that had no grain to the wood. Tried to stain it a couple of different ways and did not like it. Saw this at a Menards , $6.?? . It went on real easy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2736.JPG (481.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2739.jpg (499.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-24-2019, 11:07 AM
wjritchie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have had good results with doing an under coat for texture with natural sea sponge , cut a piece about 1 1/2 " square then put your spray paint of choice into a pie tin or similar , dab the sponge in the paint and transfer the pattern as needed to the stock when you get the pattern even and of your desired result , spray your top coat . Most of mine have been for camo effect and with 3 to 4 colors then a matte clear over the top several coats . No reason it wouldn't work with a mono tone as well with same color over the top . The splash effect can be felt as well as seen this way .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2019, 11:44 AM
TripleC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I did this

I finished three stocks with a "sandstone" texture paint I found at Walmart. I left it off the cheekpiece for obvious reasons. Been 5 years and still going strong. Used on my squirrel/varmint guns. I am pleased with the results.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:00 PM
Boomer...

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danv View Post
I tried this on a CZ trainer stock that had no grain to the wood. Tried to stain it a couple of different ways and did not like it. Saw this at a Menards , $6.?? . It went on real easy.
Great suggestion! I did consider conventional Rustoleum Textured paint, however that product application should be more tolerant of gun cleaning chemicals and oils. Was that picture with a single aerosol coat applied? Seems the spray nozzle would quickly clog (even after inverted to clear). Your results look great - doubtful I'd be willing to experiment with my own CZ 452 Trainer & Scout beechwood stocks! Think I'll try to duplicate your results. The local H-D store shows some in stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjritchie View Post
Have had good results with doing an under coat for texture with natural sea sponge , cut a piece about 1 1/2 " square then put your spray paint of choice into a pie tin or similar , dab the sponge in the paint and transfer the pattern as needed to the stock when you get the pattern even and of your desired result , spray your top coat . Most of mine have been for camo effect and with 3 to 4 colors then a matte clear over the top several coats . No reason it wouldn't work with a mono tone as well with same color over the top . The splash effect can be felt as well as seen this way .
Using your sponge method would likely allow better control on how much coating is applied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleC View Post
I finished three stocks with a "sandstone" texture paint I found at Walmart. I left it off the cheekpiece for obvious reasons. Been 5 years and still going strong. Used on my squirrel/varmint guns. I am pleased with the results.
I also saw the "sandstone" aerosol products, however figured the embedded grit might be problematic vs textured/splatter finish. Apparently not. Another good suggestion!
Old 06-24-2019, 02:38 PM
Danv

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
That's 4 coats. I taped the checkering off for the first two coats,I was afraid it would fill it in. Had no problem with the nozzle plugging up. I did not check to see what chemicals would effect it. If it is a true bed liner I would think it is some what resistant to chemicals given everything you might haul in a truck bed. Now you got me thinking, I'm going to spray a piece of scarp and see if hoppes and some other cleaners effect it.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:45 PM
Boomer...

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
^^^ Thanks also for that info. I considered what this type of product might do to a stock's checkering, however no issue with my Charger since it has a plastic A2 style grip (temporarily removed for this project). I had to do errands at the local WM, so checked there but no Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating in stock. They did have the similar Krylon product which I bought but just now read an online Krylon review that stated it went on well but was more of a charcoal grey than true black color. I want black to match other parts (yes, I'm anal), so I'll return that and get a can of Rustoleum as originally planned.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:58 AM
Danv

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I sprayed a piece of scrap wood yesterday and tried Hoppes No9 , Break free clp, kroll, even ED's Red and a few others. Nothing seemed to effect it. If you let any of this stuff sit on it for a long time you may have a problem. It seems to be pretty tough stuff.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:50 PM
Danv

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Boomer take some pic's when your done. Let us know how it turned out.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:29 PM
catbird

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danv View Post
BIG DITTO for truck bed liner spray. I recommend practicing on cardboard or scrap wood to get the texture the way you want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2019, 11:57 PM
double bogey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is my early 90's m700 with a krylon, and marbleizing paint, with matte clearcoat to finish. No bumps, but textured, and easy to do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190108_144601.jpg (218.3 KB, 43 views)