Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:55 PM
hebes405
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Need a barrel

Help! I need a replacement barrel my 552 speedmaster.
Thanks
Old 01-21-2019, 08:36 PM
czarsuperstar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just recieved a 552 I had no idea my family had. My parents were not gun owners and I had no idea my grandfather had one. I visited my parents last weekend and my dad asked if I owned a .22. I said yes, and he said he wanted to get one out of his house. Mom has Alzheimer’s and she has delusions. I want to shoot it as me and my son belong to a gun club. It’s old but better shape than mostof my guns. What would be a good safe round to shoot? I usually use cci mini mags. Barrel stamp puts it as a May, 1960. Looks like original weaver B4 scope. I can post pics tomorrow.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:50 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Talking any ammo you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by czarsuperstar View Post
I just recieved a 552 I had no idea my family had. My parents were not gun owners and I had no idea my grandfather had one. I visited my parents last weekend and my dad asked if I owned a .22. I said yes, and he said he wanted to get one out of his house. Mom has Alzheimerís and she has delusions. I want to shoot it as me and my son belong to a gun club. Itís old but better shape than mostof my guns. What would be a good safe round to shoot? I usually use cci mini mags. Barrel stamp puts it as a May, 1960. Looks like original weaver B4 scope. I can post pics tomorrow.
mine likes mini mags, federal bulk, blazers, ETC ETC.! enjoy it.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:49 PM
David17HMR
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Count me in
My 552 is a P F
Which is a June of 1959
Will shoot everything, but will not cycle CB shorts … oh well
Old 01-30-2019, 04:05 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
i wouldn`t worry about shorts !

Quote:
Originally Posted by David17HMR View Post
Count me in
My 552 is a P F
Which is a June of 1959
Will shoot everything, but will not cycle CB shorts Ö oh well
LR is the way to go. I don't believe I have ever shot a short in my life in any of my guns! I recently bought a 1960`s savage 29b pump that had nothing but shorts fired in it, took me many hard hours of cleaning/polishing the chamber to make it extract LR spent cases !! it really messes up the chamber ! I did shoot a friends 1941 Winchester 74 shorts only, it was very quiet out of the long barrel. I see no need for shorts, they cost more than LR and are hard to find. just my opinion.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:23 AM
David17HMR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't shoot shorts all the time, I like em cuz they are quiet … BTW my 550-1 will shoot anything, even cycles CB shorts
Old 02-02-2019, 02:04 PM
Auguie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
552 Date of production

I have acquired a 552 speedmaster, trying to date this gun. The only marking on the side of the barrel is the numbers 49, no letters. I have looked at the remington year of production sheet but am unable to figure out what year this speedmaster was built. Thanks
Old 02-07-2019, 01:49 PM
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelhunter View Post
Very solid and man-sized - not cheap feeling in any way. Mine was made, I believe, in either '72 or '74; it had the shark-fin front sight and fancy slide adjustable rear. Never had any issues with mine, but sold it to my best friend b/c it wasn't left-shoulder friendly - got a lot of hot powder and gas on my forearm when shooting, though the issue is not severe when wearing something with longer sleeves.

I picked the gun up, used, but in very good shape a few years back for, IIRC, $175, which I consider a steal for the quality and versatility of this big rimfire The gun runs well, even when pretty dirty, and the ability to cycle and fire all types of .22 rimfire shells south of LR is a neat trick in an autoloader. Mine had a good trigger, and was accurate out to a hundred yards, maybe more, on clay pigeons with a 3-9x scope attached

These Speedmasters are great rifles, particularly the older ones with their superior ergonomics (the news ones are nicely finished, but have Remington's dreaded 'knife comb' stock which prohibits comfortable shooting, particularly with iron sights). The only thing I'd change is to add the Fieldmaster pump to our collection....and maybe a Nylon 66 too

Kind Regards,

~SH~

Oh yes !!
You must get all three !! 👍👍👍

I do.. and love em all. 😍😍😍
Old 03-02-2019, 09:03 AM
kamml

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I want to Join the 552 Club

Just got my used 552 ADL Speedmaster, it has a Dec 69 born date and is in good condition. The bluing is NRA 98% and the furniture has a few minor scrapes and dents you would expect after 49 years. The rear blade is missing, but it has a 4 power Golden Antler TV style scope mounted today. I will be shooting it later on this morning and will report back on my results. Back in the early 90s I bought a new BDL on sale, I think it was $289. retail back then. I sold it a couple of months later for one reason or another. Times have changed, my dealer's wholesale price was for new one $509. yesterday. This ADL was picked up for $225 out the door.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:51 PM
DarkWolf
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New 552 club member....

I just acquired a late 80s Speedmaster in serious need of love.....but after a quick clean...not a full cleaning (I don't think it's ever been cleaned)...it shoots beautifully. I think I'm gonna refinish her and see how the tree rats like her this winter...
Old 04-20-2019, 05:44 PM
farscott

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Rescued a 552 made in April of 1968 from my local shop. Came with a 3-8X Banner by Bushnell "Made in Japan" scope. Total cost out the door was $275. Condition is very good for more than fifty years old. I do need to strip the wood and refinish it.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:40 PM
FALPhil
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farscott View Post
Condition is very good for more than fifty years old. I do need to strip the wood and refinish it.
Normally, I use pure tung oil for wood stocks. Expensive, but it has served me well and is very easy to do touch ups with after hard use. However, I am interested in a new product I recently found called Fusion Mineral Hemp Oil. I have used Fusion Mineral paint to refinish kids furniture, and I like it as it goes on easy, and it holds up well to abuse. The local dealer tells me that the hemp oil produces a finish that is hard as nails, and it goes on just as easy as the paint.

I don't have any stock projects going on right now, but after deer season, I am probably going to refinish the stock on my Husqvarna. I'll let you know how it turns out.