Will Silicone Gun Socks Harm The Paint On the Receiver - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:24 AM
Andyd
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post
There was a picture on a thread somewhere. The stock had a pattern (white) that matched the weave of the gun sock
This is why I had worded my last response carefully :
Quote:
George has never given scientific proof of his opinion, kind of a clinical research and shown effects under controlled conditions, excluding other factors.
One photo of damage to a stock, not under controlled conditions, where other contributing factors - interaction to other chemicals that had been applied, for instance- are unknown, is no proof that will stack up to the countless testimonies of gun owners that had only positive experience with silicone treated gun socks.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:45 AM
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
My take on silicone impregnated socks or sprays with silicone, offers great protection from rust. One thing I took from George and what I believe he tried to get across is that if you need to refinish a stock that has been exposed to silicone extensively you may have some major issues. I agree with him wholeheartedly, but I also use G96 and have for 30+ years to wipe my guns down including the wood. I have never had an issue with rust or the wood but have never had to refinish these guns. The guns I refinish are ones I get new to me or from others and may have had silicone exposure but its hard to tell. I will also say I have had maybe 2 guns that were a struggle to refinish and definately looked like they had some bare areas that maybe silicone or oils had soaked into extensively. If you have a old gun with thin finish or bare areas it may be something to think about.

The one thing I think is important to stay away from is storing guns in hard cases with the egg crate type foam. I have actually seen guns with damage that you can actually see the imprint of the foam as a shadowing, I think it can actually draw moisture as well. I woukd take a silicone stock over this any day and especially if you are only going to pull the gun out once or twice a year to service. Hope I didn't stray. Just my opinion so take it for what it's worth.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:21 AM
NoSecondBest
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
+1 on the egg crate foam. It will leave permanent marks on the wood finish. I've been using G96 for over forty years on all my guns, wood included. I have some very high end guns that I use the silicon on. Turnbull did two guns for me and advised using silicon on the entire gun (I already had been for years). My guns look like new, have no rust, and the wood is fantastic. I have no bones to pick with George, and I think he really knew his stuff. I just don't agree with him on this, and my evidence shows it doesn't hurt to use silicon.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:23 PM
BartM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I mainly asked the question to be sure the paint on the receiver would not be affected. I'm sure cerakote4 would not but since we don't know the composition of Henry's paint, I was apprehensive about silicone peeling the paint. Like most, I want to use a sock to protect against scratches.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:17 AM
Joemiami

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I live in the hottest, most humid city in the USA. 10 months of eternal summer.
In my experience, gun socks attract moisture & that is the last thing I need.
I wipe them down with plenty of Ballistol and put them away in the safe.
Never a problem in over 35 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2019, 11:44 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartM View Post
I mainly asked the question to be sure the paint on the receiver would not be affected. I'm sure cerakote4 would not but since we don't know the composition of Henry's paint, I was apprehensive about silicone peeling the paint. Like most, I want to use a sock to protect against scratches.
Welcome to RFC Bart and to answer your specific question, no a silicone gun sock will not in any way hurt the coating on your receiver.

Cheers,

Frank