Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-05-2019, 05:54 AM
Vicko

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signalman1 View Post
Glenn sir you are so right...but none of mine are there yet...but my time is coming and I will be ready when that time comes.

Vicko sir all magnums

Signalman
Nice - love the stocks on the bottom two. Bottom one in particular - is that a Boyds?
Old 08-05-2019, 05:58 AM
Vicko

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oh - and I've confirmed today that I'll be picking up the WMR barrel when I pick it up this weekend
Old 08-05-2019, 06:42 AM
Nerostarr
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Vicko I have the 455 American in 22 wmr and I'm very happy with it. It took a bit of time to break it in and find the ammo it likes, but it's accuracy is impressive. The only upgrade I made was a DIP rail and a Mcarbo trigger spring, but both made a big difference. My rifle likes the lighter bullets 30-35 gr, it shoots those real nice. I'm sure your going to really enjoy that .17 as it has a lot of potential and give the 22 wmr barrel a chance when you get the chance.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:10 AM
Signalman1

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicko View Post
Nice - love the stocks on the bottom two. Bottom one in particular - is that a Boyds?
Vicko sir that is factory Marlin 917 VSF (Varmint Stainless Fluted) and that is the newest Marlin rifle I bought. And it shoots like a laser.

Out gopher shooting and the very first shot of the day was out at 140 yards...boy was I smiling that morning. I got this rifle from Wonderdog1 here on RFC.

Signalman
Old 08-10-2019, 11:59 PM
Vicko

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Signalman that Marlin looks very nice.

So I picked up the 457 yesterday and ran it through its paces. I'm a happy camper. Took a few pics here before, but the build is terrific, feed and action is perfect.

Sighted it in, in what was quite gusty conditions (probably 30-40km/hr winds) and straight off the bat at around 100 yards its grouping at around half to 3/4 an inch vertically (that'll be the rifle) and around an inch horizontally (that'll be me wobbling about and the wind). Only had a chance to try one round through it in between rain showers - the 17gn Hornady Vmax. Seemed to like them well enough, so with the weather closing in we headed back inside for a cuppa.

So we went back out later with the light for a look, and nailed our first fox with it at around the 100 yard mark. Hopefully the one that took some chickens last week... One shot from front 3/4 as it was working a plantation looking for rats I'd imagine. I picked him up about 3 yards from where I shot him. Saw a bunch more foxes but couldn't get a shot at any of them last night. Next time.

So its currently sitting at 100% success rate
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5890.jpg (502.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5888.jpg (498.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5889.jpg (517.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 08-11-2019, 09:11 AM
Nerostarr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Very nice Vicko, that's one beautiful rifle and glad your enjoying it.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:02 PM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I imagine you may have settled on a mfr. by now, but if not, take a look at the Zastava MP22 WMR.
The stocks are not the fanciest in the world, but good and solid. The metal work will be on equal to the finest out there.

I have had mine for about a year and a half now. It is as accurate as any of the models discussed and cussed so far. I get ragged holes at 60 yards and at or below MOA at 100. The Hornady V-Max 30 grain and the Aquila Silver Eagle 40 gr give equal groups for me. I don't have any ground hogs here in N. GA to speak of, but I have busted crows and pigeons out to 100 yd.s.

I have 2 Zastava .22s [Zastava CZ99 and a Remington Mdl Five], and both of them are very accurate. I have shot starlings and pigeons out to 120 yd.s with both of those. I haven't tried starlings past 100 yd.s with the WMR, but I think I will next time I get out in the country again.

VH
Old 09-21-2019, 07:32 PM
Vicko

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bit of an update here. Took it to the range for a play the other week to try some more ammo out and generally check out long range stuff. (Had a shot of a club members 308 out to 500 too which was ace fun). Even though there was a hefty side wind I figured out that it very much prefers the 17 grn rounds. Not so much the hollow point 20 grn ones..

So I thought I might have another go at home today and glad I did as I'd messed up re-centreing the scope.. was about 6 inches out! Moron. Anyway. As you can see from the pics the first 5 shot group was off the page, but measured 17mm (17/29mm=.58MOA at 100m - by my maths - remember thats metres not yards). Thats with CCI 17grn VNTs. Seems to like them...

I then shot the middle with the same CCIs - I obviously cocked up with one flyer - the rest of the group was similar to the first, adjusted down an MOA, shot the left group with Hornady 20 grn (thats twice now its thrown them around - it did at the range too and worth noting that they're about an MOA lower at 100 than the 17 grn rounds), and then the right group with Hornady 17grn VMax. On the last group I experimented mid group moving my cheek forward and back a bit on the stock to see if it makes any difference.. it obviously did... You can see I repositioned twice. I might have to work on that and find a way to keep my cheek in one spot for consistency.

So anyway, I'm more than happy with that. Its only had probably 60 rounds through it so far, but its an impressive little jigger and should only get better with some more rounds through it.

Also worth mentioning that on the board I was using behind my target (a 30mm MDF sheet) that the hollow points punched a tighter hole. The plastic tipped 17grn slugs fairly tore it up on exit by comparison. Those suckers must expand fairly dramatically.

I'm now looking for a bigger brother for it that can do a bit of long range stuff. Think I've settled on an LA102 in 308.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image from iOS (2).jpg (487.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Image from iOS (3).jpg (514.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Image from iOS (4).jpg (501.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 09-22-2019, 10:46 PM
Cronkytonk

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwclay View Post
Mossberg 640 Chuckster. Best ever made. Get one manufactured in the early 70's.
Fiberglass the action and barrel. 1/4" groups at 100 yds. with 40 grain W-W HP.
(Gray Box)
Really? Hmmm, I guess somebody had to say it.
And Winchester ammo no less.