Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-07-2019, 02:27 PM
elh0102

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Kidd Ultra Lightweight

I have a current generation Supergrade with the longer barrel shank and quick change attaching system. Mine has the 20 inch heavy barrel and shoots great. I'm thinking of adding a lightweight aluminum sleeved barrel for hunting. Obviously, the most weight is saved with the shortest option, 16.5 inches. I would be interesting in hearing input from folks who have tried these barrels.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:01 PM
Teachu2
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I'm considering the same for mine. I have two Kidd ULW 16.5" barrels on Ruger receivers, both are excellent shooters. Both are more accurate than any competitors lightweight barrels I've ever shot, superb hunters and very versatile. Both have Axiom stocks, Kidd Trigger Job kits, and Nikon 3-9 EFR scopes. Just over 5 lbs.

My Supergrade shoots so well, I hate to mess with it. I doubt the longer shank is going to make much difference on the ULW barrel. Barrel droop has not been an issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181223_093403565.jpg (508.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 09-07-2019, 04:16 PM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have three 18” Kidd LW barrels - more midweight @ 2lb.
All three are great shooters (.3s-.4s @ 50 with SK Magazine, SK Std+, or Wolf)
one exceptional (.2-.3” groups @50, occasionally .1s) with same ammo.
My daughter has a 16.5” ULW that’s a great barrel. It easily holds MOA @ 50 with SK magazine, and can shoot .3s and very occasionally a .2” with good lots of SK RM or CenterX. It’s in a tiny youth stock, so not really suited for shooting groups.

FWIW, I prefer the balance of the 18” LW for offhand shooting. That’s what I’d use for hunting if I chose a semi auto.

I think you’ll find any Kidd barrel more than up to the task of shooting minute of tree rat cranium.

DrGunner
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2019, 10:00 PM
elh0102

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post
I have three 18” Kidd LW barrels - more midweight @ 2lb.
All three are great shooters (.3s-.4s @ 50 with SK Magazine, SK Std+, or Wolf)
one exceptional (.2-.3” groups @50, occasionally .1s) with same ammo.
My daughter has a 16.5” ULW that’s a great barrel. It easily holds MOA @ 50 with SK magazine, and can shoot .3s and very occasionally a .2” with good lots of SK RM or CenterX. It’s in a tiny youth stock, so not really suited for shooting groups.

FWIW, I prefer the balance of the 18” LW for offhand shooting. That’s what I’d use for hunting if I chose a semi auto.

I think you’ll find any Kidd barrel more than up to the task of shooting minute of tree rat cranium.

DrGunner
I understand the better balance of the slightly heavier barrel, but I'm more interested in the weight. I've hunted squirrels 50 years, and I can probably count on one hand the number I've shot at offhand, and I think I can count on two fingers the number I killed. I'm pitiful without some sort of support, so I always stop beside a tree suitable for a rest. But thanks for the response, and I'll look at the weight differences between the available barrels. Frankly, it is only a couple of times a year that I walk enough for the weight to matter, probably not worth the cost of the barrel, but it's something to do. Heck, I hunt some with my Anschutz 54.18 MSR, and I think it weighs close to 10 pounds.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:53 PM
Teachu2

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I really like the two I built like the one I pictured. My walking ability has been severely curtailed, so I am often in a Rhino, Jeep, or pickup. The Axiom stock allows me to change length of pull quickly and without tools, and the balance is perfect for me - which it would not be with the Victor Titan stock on my Supergrade. Grab a roll bar, edge of a door, rest off the truck - lots of ways to get on target, and the gun is light enough to make it easy. Scope is zeroed for 50 yards, just adjust the AO until it's sharp and adjust holdover/under for actual range.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:57 PM
Teachu2

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I guess that explains why I haven't put a ULW on my Supergrade....
Old 09-08-2019, 01:12 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Not Supergrades but I have 5 Ultra-Lt. rigs and they are sub-MOA from the bench out to 100... I have mounted up many more for friends/fam. and all are genuinely loved by their owners! I use most of mine as the others do as lt. wt. packing hunting rigs... if you want a lighter rifle I say go for it... EZ switch... that's the beauty of that platform.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:01 AM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elh0102 View Post
I understand the better balance of the slightly heavier barrel, but I'm more interested in the weight. I've hunted squirrels 50 years, and I can probably count on one hand the number I've shot at offhand, and I think I can count on two fingers the number I killed. I'm pitiful without some sort of support, so I always stop beside a tree suitable for a rest. But thanks for the response, and I'll look at the weight differences between the available barrels. Frankly, it is only a couple of times a year that I walk enough for the weight to matter, probably not worth the cost of the barrel, but it's something to do. Heck, I hunt some with my Anschutz 54.18 MSR, and I think it weighs close to 10 pounds.
Yeah- my response was more along the lines of my shooting habits- mostly NRA smallbore silhouette- my bad. If it’s a tote-thru-the-woods squirrel gun you’re wanting and shoot off of a tree 90+ % of the time, then the 16.5”
ULW is definitely the way to go at 1.25lb. IIRC, the actual steel barrel inside the .870” aluminum ULW sleeve is .500”, while the LW is .675”.

This is an excerpt from one of my posts going back to the introduction of the ULW in 2013:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post

That said, Kidd does NOT remove a bunch of material from the outside of this new Ultra Lightweight barrel. They start with a Lothar Walther blank that is .50 inches in diameter. Then they put stainless steel ring caps on both ends of the barrel to suspend a .870 inch aluminum sleeve over the .500 inch blank. The sleeve itself is fluted so the flute material is not removed from the steel blank itself.

They do, however remove material from the outside of their lightweight barrel, but I believe they turn them down prior to lapping. Maripat told me they turn a blank from .920 down to .6750", then put a sleeve on it made of aluminum that fits right up against the .675 inch steel barrel, taking the overall diameter back out to .870"

DrGunner

My 2011-2012 Kidd LWs measure .650” at the crown. Not sure if that spec changed from the .650” I measured to the .675 Kidd told me, but that’s irrelevant... all of my Kidd barrels shoot sub MOA, but the best are my older production Supergrade with 20” Nitride black stainless 20” fluted bull & one of my 18” LWs.
The 16.5” ULW is actually my daughters, and the goal there was a light enough rifle for her to shoot offhand. It fits the bill well @ 20oz and runs right up there with my other 2 18” LW-2 lb barrels.

For your stated purpose, the ULW should provide more than adequate accuracy and be light enough to carry comfortably all day-

DrGunner
Old 09-08-2019, 08:55 AM
mpolk
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
This one is a hair over 7 pounds with the Kidd ULW barrel. Older Ruger polished receiver and trigger housing with a Kidd trigger job kit. I could change scopes and get it lighter, but it shoots great and is light enough to carry for a long while.

P1010002.JPG
Old 09-15-2019, 11:55 PM
MacR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I built a Kidd ULW from components. Hogue stock, exactly like factory rifle. I use mine primarily for hunting and pest control. Spends a lot of time in my ATV rack. Accurate rig. With 36 gr mini mags, groups right at a half inch. It seems to shoot its best suppressed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CBFF0E91-742B-4302-B294-D6915A29D5C8_1568606118719.jpg (326.8 KB, 15 views)