Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-11-2005, 12:10 PM
G22SP2340

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
G22 lost spring

As I was cleaning the G22, I manage to lose the magazine safety spring, even with a conscious effort to keep the spring in place. Those darn springs are so small and so easy to fall out its almost mission impossible to not lose them.

I was just wondering if anyone had any success in ordering replacement springs from Walther. Do they have spare parts in stock?
Old 04-11-2005, 07:51 PM
jpd22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've lost the mag safety spring while cleaning my g22 if you call S/W walther they will send you a new one.I used a little crazy glue on top and bottom of the spring to keep it in place and so far it has worked well.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:34 AM
G22SP2340

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd22
I've lost the mag safety spring while cleaning my g22 if you call S/W walther they will send you a new one.I used a little crazy glue on top and bottom of the spring to keep it in place and so far it has worked well.
Thanks for the info. I called S&W and they are sending me out a new one. I got greedy and ask for two just in case, but they said no they are in low supply . I tried. I do that glue trick once I get the spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2005, 06:37 PM
Abwehr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Hello All,

This is my first post here and this looks like a great Forum. I just purchased a G22 and got to the range today. This little rifle is a real tackdriver! Shooting at 50 yds, I could keep the rounds in Silver Dollar diameter. I shot several different brands of ammo, different age ammo and it digested everything without one failure. The only problem I had was 3 rounds out of 200 did not fire and this was the ammo (at least 30 year old Winchester Wildcat lead bullet). The primer was hit well enough, but the round would not fire.

WOW, this rifle is a PITA to clean. I finally got everything back together again, but I have one problem. The Bolt Hold Open does not work now. I took it apart again and I think I have the Spring installed incorrectly. Can someone tell me exaclty where and how the Spring is installed? The manual is ZERO help as you can't see the location of the Spring. Your help is appreciated.

Oh yea, I also own a P22 and P99, plus about 15 other Walther firearms. I have never had any major problems with Walther firearms and the G22 follow suite. I do hate the way the two springs in the action fall out so easy though.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:59 PM
chips1443

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abwehr

WOW, this rifle is a PITA to clean.
yes it is! that's the one thing i really dislike about this rifle.

Quote:
I finally got everything back together again, but I have one problem. The Bolt Hold Open does not work now. I took it apart again and I think I have the Spring installed incorrectly. Can someone tell me exaclty where and how the Spring is installed? The manual is ZERO help as you can't see the location of the Spring. Your help is appreciated.
it's hard to remember how it goes right off the top of my head. i'd grab my rifle, take it apart, and let you know, but i'm leaving in about 2 minutes to go to the weekly car show down here.

when i get back, i'll check for you, and even take a picture so you can see where it goes. you can expect a post from me if not tonight, tommorow morning
Old 04-15-2005, 07:08 PM
Abwehr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Spring Location

Chips1433,

Many thanks for helping me! No hurry, just when you can get to it. I do love this little rifle, and I will take the advice about gluing the Magazine Safety Spring in too. Thanks again!!
Old 04-15-2005, 10:52 PM
jpd22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Abwehr,Look at pictures 17,18,19,and 20 in the manual this will give you some idea on how to reasemble it.Also look at prowlers post on the g22 he has some good photo's showing the"V" spring asembley and the ejector plate.
Old 04-16-2005, 02:42 PM
chips1443

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
here ya go Abwehr!

i figured i'd let the pictures speak for themselves - they'd do a better job of explaining it then i ever could

Last edited by chips1443; 04-16-2005 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:58 PM
Abwehr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hold Open Spring

chips1433,

Great photos!!! I sure wish Walther had decent photos in their instuction manual and I would not have had the problem.

Son of a gun, I had it installed correctly, but the bolt holdopen still does not work. I will have to check this out, but at least the rifle works without the holdopen working.

I sure do appreciate the time you have taken to help me out!!!! Other than the aggrevation factor of the two springs, this is a fantastic .22 rifle. I have a 2.5 - 10 power, 30mm ring with a 50mm objective lens scope, and a vertical pistol grip mounted on this bad boy. It sure is "mean" looking with the vertical grip on front. Now to get a laser as a decent price from E-Bay.

Thanks Again!
Old 04-17-2005, 05:43 AM
Abwehr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Spring Saga Continues

After I saw the photos "chips1433" posted, I disassembled my G22 and found the problem with the Bolt Holdopen not working. The Spring was in a bind and moving it to clear the bind point did the trick!

Now I have lost the Magazine Disconnect Spring!!!, LOL, LOL. It is not funny, but I was trying to be Soooooo carefull not to lose it that I did. I was working on the kitchen counter with a pad underneath so if it fell out it would not roll or bounce off the counter......wrong, it went somewhere.

I guess I will be calling S&W for a replacement and some spares tomorrow! I think I will buy several springs just in case I do this again.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:55 PM
G22SP2340

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
After I saw the photos "chips1433" posted, I disassembled my G22 and found the problem with the Bolt Holdopen not working. The Spring was in a bind and moving it to clear the bind point did the trick!

Now I have lost the Magazine Disconnect Spring!!!, LOL, LOL. It is not funny, but I was trying to be Soooooo carefull not to lose it that I did. I was working on the kitchen counter with a pad underneath so if it fell out it would not roll or bounce off the counter......wrong, it went somewhere.

I guess I will be calling S&W for a replacement and some spares tomorrow! I think I will buy several springs just in case I do this again.
They sent 2 for free. I think the best thing to do in the future is just to remove the springs on both side and place them in a safe place. I would put it on a magnetic tray. That way you can also clean the bolt plate and other parts around that area.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:03 PM
JLT32964

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
G-22 springs

It seems we all have had some fun with the little springs in our G-22s I stuck mine in some bacitracin ointment and they stayed put...the ointment takes the legs off the springs so they can't bounce and hide.....
Old 04-23-2005, 06:31 AM
Abwehr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Springs, andd More Springs

I ordered two each of the elusive little springs for my G22 and received them in the mail yesterday from S&W. I installed the little coil spring last night and the G22 is back in top condition. Man, thos little springs are difficult to see when you know where you lay it, LOL

Anyway, when I ordered the springs, I ordered two each of the pins that hold the hammer assembly in place and the one large pin that holds the buttstock in place (the one next to the safety). The large pin that I received is the wrong pin, but I did not have a parts breakdown with part number to give the parts rep at S&W so he guessed wrong. This is not problem as I will order some on my next order for Springs, LOL, LOL. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the parts breakdown with part numbers? There is not one with the Instruction Manual. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:28 PM
ArmedFamilyMan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I came across this thread while searching for replacement springs. I have a Carbon Fiber one but after a friend shot mine, he had to have one himself. He found one but the mag catch spring and bolt catch spring were missing. I disassembled it and made my own. I cut down a safety detent spring for an AR for the mag catch and straighten a larger spring and shaped it to use for the bit catch. Now it works perfectly and only cost me some used springs.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:29 PM
ArmedFamilyMan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I came across this thread while searching for replacement springs. I have a Carbon Fiber one but after a friend shot mine, he had to have one himself. He found one but the mag catch spring and bolt catch spring were missing. I disassembled it and made my own. I cut down a safety detent spring for an AR for the mag catch and straighten a larger spring and shaped it to use for the bolt catch. Now it works perfectly and only cost me some used springs.