What is it about .22 Magnums - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-30-2019, 02:57 PM
deltaT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Only one negative with the .22 wmr, cost of ammo.

LCR in wmr anyone ?, it is a very viable choice for civilian cc; especially for recoil sensitive people and at the distances 'we' can expect to use a handgun in this cartridge will make anyone as dead as can be.

About 900 fps, energy pushing 100 ft lbs and attention getting flash/bang from a snub; whats not to like??
Old 08-30-2019, 07:41 PM
DRob
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaT View Post
Only one negative with the .22 wmr, cost of ammo.

LCR in wmr anyone ?, it is a very viable choice for civilian cc; especially for recoil sensitive people and at the distances 'we' can expect to use a handgun in this cartridge will make anyone as dead as can be.

About 900 fps, energy pushing 100 ft lbs and attention getting flash/bang from a snub; whats not to like??
The ammo is spendy but you can find it on sale now and then.

I read an article about self defense cartridges a while back. The .22 WMR was included and, while it packed considerably less punch than more common carry gun calibers, it was not counted out by any means. Shot placement is paramount of course which does make it a good choice for those recoil sensitive folks. It should be noted that Hornady does load a Critical Defense round for the WMR. It's a 45 gr FTX bullet...and not cheap.

On a related note, the author pointed out that one of the more important aspects of self defense shooting is the psychology involved (Oh $#!t factor) when a person realizes they've been shot. I think the WMR would make one take notice!
Old 09-05-2019, 06:13 PM
deltaT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The least expensive wmr I see is at target sports (ct.) at .18 a pop add in the tax and it usually adds another penny but shipping is what kills the deal-locally the cost is hideous, in the end 9mm costs an awful lot less, trouble is the wmr is such a hoot to shoot...

Plus a snub revolver in wmr just may be the perfect cc handgun for us civilians.

The quest for the perfect wmr rifle continues-looking real close at the T bolt.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:35 PM
DRob
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
$$$

I just checked Midsouth Shooters Supply. They have Hornady 30 gr VMax WMR ammo on sale for $9.99. I buy both it and .17 HMR by the brick and shipping has always been less than the cost of one box.

The overwhelming majority of the "bad press" given to 10/22M rifles and particularly to HMR conversions comes from guys who have never owned one but they heard something from somebody who heard something from a guy who read something online. Most is pure BS. My opinion, is the issue is not with the ammo but with the shooter. Not counting, of course, the butcher job Ruger did on the 10/22M bolt trying to fix a problem which didn't exist. Speaking from personal experience, here.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:59 PM
Ruger1300

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I never thought 22 mag was that expensive. I shop the deals and can usually find it for under $10 a box. Heck last Christmas PSA had CCI with the black tip for $4.99 a box.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:14 PM
Marlin Fan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Marlin 883ss and a CZ455 varmint and both are absolute tack drivers with Winchester super X jacketed hollow points.