Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:27 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Blue Wonder (RB-17?)/ Lead Removal PDF

I stumbled on this PDF in my searches, and thought I would give it a try:

https://www.pistoleer.com/bluewonder...(04-22-02).pdf

The instructions for an overnight soak got my attention. I have a GM 28" bull barrel and a GM 18" fluted bull, and my Lyman Borescope shows a great deal of lead buildup in the barrels. First the 28" barrel got the "overnight treatment". I didn't realize the lead buildup was so bad. The first look the grooves were missing (full of lead) from the 4 o'clock and the 6 o'clock grooves in the leade area (about 1/2"). Then I noticed I had used up all of my Blue Wonder, but did have an ample supply of RB-17. So the story goes, they are the same product, so here we go. One overnight treatment and I could see a faint outline of the grooves. It did take 2 overnight treatments for me to clearly see the grooves, but it works. Yes, I did follow instructions (using a bronze brush), and I would suggest letting set for 8 to 9 hours. Filling the bore with RB-17 was a problem because of the thick viscosity, so I hawked it for a few hours adding a drop at a time. This was the only drawback. Using a cork to plug the chamber, the rest was easy. After the two overnight treatments, there were still smears and spots of lead in the barrel. The grooves were much cleaner with only a few spots of buildup in the edges of the grooves. Another application with RB-17 and let set for 30 minutes didn't do too much for that. I went with the JB Paste for 15 laps, scoped, and a few laps with 50/50 #9 and Kroil. Much better. Same experience with the 18" fluted barrel. Yes, this works and I will use it again. Will finish this report after a range trip scheduled for Friday to check the 5 shot group size with the 18" bull barrel. As of now, I do believe this has merit. ......... AH
Old 09-13-2019, 10:44 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
I guess I did something right for a change. The 18" fluted GM shoots CCI SV nearly as well as it does SK+ at 50 yards. Using a rest with 6-18 Vari X II Leupold at one of those dern USBR targets. Burned up about 150 rounds, 5 shot groups, pulled a dry patch after each 50. There were a few tight groups, but most were in the 3/8 to 1/2". There is a full moon. After all, it's a GM, and it's old. Fun day at the range! ......... AH
Old 11-11-2019, 12:32 PM
gunsmither
RFC Sponsor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Caution on RB-17

It's great for lead removal and as a general bore cleaner and rust remover.
However, if left in a barrel too long, or on the surface, RB-17 will cause rust. Overnight is fine, but I wouldn't leave it any longer.

Years ago a fellow overheard myself and a buddy talking about RB-17 for bore and rust cleaning/lead removal. The poor guy thought all you had to do was dump the RB down the bore and in the innards of a gun and it would do all the work by itself.

The moron poured RB-17 down the bore and inside the action of a Browning Miroku reproduction Winchester 1886, and left it for a month. He brought it to me to clean and implied that it was my fault that it was all rusted up because he overheard us talking about how great RB-17 worked!

UNIQUE gunsmithing tools and accessories for 10/22's, MkII's, S&W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2019, 01:20 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammohog View Post
I would suggest letting set for 8 to 9 hours.
Yep. By the time you scope a barrel and find a groove full of lead, it just might take a few (as in several) "overnight" treatments. Even then, it might not be all out. It's just a cold hard fact that lead buildup in a .22 rifle is inevitable. Even Lilja mentions using bronze brush / solvent for removing lead buildup in their high dollar super finished rimfire barrels. If it happens to them, the rest of us just need to get ready! :

https://riflebarrels.com/support/22-...e-maintenance/

Several benchrest shooters at the range have told me: "Just don't let it get that bad". They didn't mention exactly how to do that............ AH

Last edited by ammohog; 11-11-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:18 PM
gunsmither
RFC Sponsor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First time I ever used RB-17 was in the bore of a 92 Winchester .32-20 that appeared to have no rifling at all. So I tried the RB, and all this grey crap was coming out after bronze brushing, and wiping out with many patches.

After two days of soaking, brushing, and wiping many times, the rifling began to appear. Eventually most of the lead was gone, and nasty pitting showed it's ugly head, which had caused the barrel to lead up with lead bullets I'm sure.

I've used RB for at least 20 years. It works great for surface rust removal with 4/0
steel wool also.

Glad to hear you gave it a try, and had great success. All the best to you! Joe

UNIQUE gunsmithing tools and accessories for 10/22's, MkII's, S&W