Is it worth selling a savage fvsr for a ruger RPR 22lr? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-12-2019, 05:03 PM
teddy12b

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is it worth selling a savage fvsr for a ruger RPR 22lr?

I've got a savage FV-SR in a boyds tacticool stock. I like the gun, but have given some thought to the Ruger RPR. If the RPR had some kind of a folding stock like the regular RPR rifles do I don't think I'd even be asking, but I'm still curious how the RPR holds up versus what I already have and figured that certainly someone here would be familiar with both.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:29 PM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have both. The Savage may be capable of shooting as well as the RPR but so far I haven't been able to get it to do so. I'm about ready to throw in the towel on it. It would do fine for a jackrabbbit gun and that's what it may become because it will ride well in my jeep. The bolt is easier to close than the RPR and that is the only + I can give it over the Ruger.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:01 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had both , now I just have the Savage. Ruger destroyed mine the third time it went back.Maybe they are better now, but mine made me miserable. Itís one heck of an idea. Adjustable LOP adjustable cheek riser, stiff chassis. .... But ask yourself this. Why would anyone design a special compartment for an Allen wrench? Every one of the owners is going to set the trigger as light as it goes and never touch it again. Why does it come with a 30 MOA rail? If all you do is shoot at 300 yards plus, fine, but itís a 22, and there will be a lot of 50 yard or les shooting.

So if you Savage is a good shooter, mine is. Then keep it! Then buy the Ruger anyways and see what you get. Some people swear by them , I swear at them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2019, 08:16 AM
teddy12b

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use my fv-sr for the longer than normal distances for a 22lr type of shooting. I have a 300 yard range setup in the backyard with plates that I currently use my fv-sr as my plinker.

I really like the concept of the RPR as a copy to a larger rifle, but I'm reading a surprising amount of people having problems with them too.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:25 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Out of the box my rpr was somewhat less than a stellar example of an accurate rifle. I have to agree with the statement about the Allen wrench compartment. It is just something that is in the way anytime you break the gun down. It would have made more sense to not even have it. The good thing about the gun is that it has responded to my efforts to improve itís accuracy where the Savage hasnít.

I wonít go into detail about the Ruger but I like that Ruger saw fit to put this rifle on the market. What really annoys me is that what I did to get it to shoot well would have been very simple to have included in the manufacturing process. Leaving off the useless allen wrench compartment would have covered most of the cost of better quality control.

I own one of the early MK II rifles made shortly after the accu-trigger became available. It shot very well right out of the box even using the tinker toy plastic stock that Savage equips these rifles with. The newer rifles have been changed some from the older ones. It was probably to cut manufacturing expenses and the accuracy has suffered as a result is the way I see it.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:12 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy12b View Post
Is it worth selling a savage fvsr for a ruger RPR 22lr?

I've got a savage FV-SR in a boyds tacticool stock. I like the gun, but have given some thought to the Ruger RPR. If the RPR had some kind of a folding stock like the regular RPR rifles do I don't think I'd even be asking, but I'm still curious how the RPR holds up versus what I already have and figured that certainly someone here would be familiar with both.
I dont own either. I maybe just boored here. My gut feel based on the reviews and your current level of satisfaction is NO. You have a signification investment as 22's go in the FV, keep it an enjoy it. I have a lifetime of regret around sold firearms. Do not be like me. The ones I miss the most are back when I was young and struggling.

While, I "just say no" to selling a good gun to chase a maybe better. I would say, if you like the Ruger, then buy one. There is no rush, if cash is short, start a fund. After a year with both, come back and post your impressions.

Last edited by fourbore; 09-13-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:55 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
For some years now I have pretty much got a notion, bought the notion while keeping the 'old gun' and learned if the new one is really a better mouse trap or not.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:02 PM
45Man

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy12b View Post
You already have more money invested in the Savage than the Ruger costs.
Makes no sense to trade one for the other.
I'm still using the toy stock, modified. I think it can be made to shoot as well as the Ruger. It probably already does with the right ammo.
This is how it shoots now with CCI Std Velocity at 50 yds.
The top hole was sight-in with higher rings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Savage FV-SR, CCI-Std Vel, 50 yds.jpg (409.7 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by 45Man; 10-15-2019 at 08:37 AM.