Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:54 PM
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Getting into BR Shooting More with My Martini

I've always just played at the bench to see what my rifles will do and last month got invited to shoot a fun match at another club. It was the first time ever watching an ARA shoot so I had no idea of what it would be like, lot of fun and great people. I shot my Cooper which is a very good shooter but a pain to try to keep positioned in the front rest consistent. The other problem I had was the rests were not good for consistency need so I made some changes there as well.

I decided to shoot my Martini International mkii in the Vintage class so have played around with some ammo and have settled on Center X. It actually shoots SK pretty well but just not as consistent. On the rests I took my good top off my other rest, made an adapter so I could mount it on my heavy Ransom bottom. Now I have a rest with the weight which will hold it and a top that adjust horizontally. My other big thing is the the rear bag, not sure there.

I have a Protector bag with fairly tall rabbit ears but I'm not sure if I should have a wider distance or what at the bottom. I will add that at the shoot I should be able to put my solid risers back on my rear rest and not have to use the bag underneath. There are several accomplished shooters at this club and I may have one of them really look at what I have. He really took the time to talk with me and show as well as explain his equipment and what he does, great guy. As you can see in my pictures our range is a downhill slope whereas the one I will be shooting is pretty level.

Overall I got things working well, as long as I remember to return the rifle to battery. I forgot to do it the last 2 shots as well as a couple of times while I was doing sighters and adjusting the scope. If anyone can give me suggestions on the rest setup I would appreciate it. I'm not planning on shooting anything but the fun matches but I still want to do well. This Martini really shoots well and with the changes I have made things are already looking better.

Here are a couple of pictures with my rests as well as targets with my 25 shots in a row but it is on 2 targets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190911_102751.jpg (525.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20190911_105952.jpg (532.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20190911_110121.jpg (515.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 09-11-2019, 11:19 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Nice bit o' kit there
I was shooting my MkIII last week on 3 consecutive days.
I got best results from my Protector rear bag on more solid footing, and it is firmly packed. I have a selection of various scrounged and repurposed stuff to jack it up. I dont want to have 'give' in the rear. And I do not squeeze the bag, the line up on bull is all in the set up.
I use as little elev. as possible on the front, and to clear the under-lever to bench, then set the rear. If shooting a card you should probably set up for the lowest run of bulls so you can jack elev. for the higher runs.
Long ago a wise man told me,"ya steer the gun from the back". The more I play around with benching (like you, for fun and pers. edification, or is it frustration?) the more it seems like he was right. The recent attention to my rear bag has resulted in improvement.
I set the rear bag pretty much in the middle between the pistol grip and buttplate, this keeps a consistent surface, you dont want the pistol grip hitting the bag on recoil or forcing the position in set up.
I line it all up keeping myself off the gun, then carefully move in, get my shoulder up to gently firm on the buttplate, light palm touch to grip, trigger squeeze, shot gone, gun has recoiled.
Now return the gun to battery (the set up you had) and it should be pointed at the same spot on the bull, and your poi should be right where you were looking when it went off. You shouldnt have to change the set up, though you will have to move the gun back into the set up, to get back on that bull.
And you will have to do it all over for the next bull on the card (which is why I tend to shoot groups).
I like root beer too.

Last edited by gcrank1; 09-12-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:02 AM
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Thanks for the advice, out of curiosity what ammo does your MKIII like? The rear bag and risers will go directly on the bench at the other range so that will eliminate any bounce. Are your rabbit ears like mine or do they have some seperation?
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2019, 11:21 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Mine is the Protektor 13A with Slick Silver ears that are closer together so the bottom of the stock rides the ears not the bag. I cant tell you if your style bag or mine works better for me because this is what I got after my cheaper (almost worthless?) little Caldwell rear. Ive found after getting into nice equipment that each change of kit requires back to back serious trials, and/or a good amount of time and results, to determine if really better or placebo effect..... With the cheap stuff to nice stuff it is pretty soon obvious.
As to ammo, what shoots well in mine really has no meaning, every gun and barrel is different. Id like to think that British guns like Eley and German guns like RWS, etc., but lot to lot variations of any decent quality ammo nullify past experience. Pretty much like the disclaimer investment companies use,"past results are no guarantee of future performance". Use what you can get that works to your purposes in your gun. Fwiw, Ive seen quite a bit through the years of a shooter with 'lesser equipment who pays attention to the details/fundamentals beat someone who doesnt that has 'higher grade' equipment.
And keep it fun!