New CZ 527 6.5 Grendel Q's for those with Experience - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:21 PM
mauser22
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
New CZ 527 6.5 Grendel Q's for those with Experience

Caved in. Got one. Pretty nice wood. Brought home a box of Hornady black box 123 gr match (all the dealer had)

See where others were surprised by the amount of cleaning these take out of the box.

Yes, at least 25 patches.

That ammo shot pretty good trying to one hole at 50 and clovers at 100.

Today tried the Hornady 123 SST hunting factory ammo. Not quite so good or I was having a bad day.

Clean after 40 rounds of that still getting BLACK out of the bore. Is this gonna go away??

Have 40 rounds of Federal Fusion 120 grains on the way to try.

Rifle intended for wife to use on Whitetails (66 year old girl wants less kick) and does pick her shots.

Of the factory hunting ammo used on whitetails in these, who likes what?

As long as I can get it settled at 1 MOA or better (I would hope) my main focus is down range performance on heart/lung shots.

Love to hear some reports regarding the above from some of you guys who have already ate the learning curve. Please help, the freak in the last picture needs to die and be eaten.

I do not intend to acquire dies or load for the round.

Getting to senile to load, enough components and calibers already to keep straight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg g3.JPG (79.0 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg g5.JPG (66.3 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg freak4.JPG (94.9 KB, 142 views)
Old 08-15-2019, 11:25 PM
Randy99CL
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I can't be much help with any answers because:
1. the only factory ammo I've fired is the Hornady American Gunner
2. my only Grendel is an AR.

But go to www.65grendel.com/. Great forum, great people (including Bill Alexander, who helped develop the round), tons of info.

There is even a separate forum for bolt-actions: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/forum...p-Single-Shots

Edit: And congratulations! I think you made a perfect choice of rifle and cartridge! I'm sure you wife will love it and be sure and try some of the Federal 90g TNT Varmint loads for practice or varmints. Some even have success with them on whitetails and hogs.

Last edited by Randy99CL; 08-15-2019 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:25 AM
mauser22
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Thanks for the info. So far the Hornady 123 SST (40 rounds fired) is out performing the Federal Fusion 120 grain (30 rounds fired). Break in was with the Hornady 123 match (black box) and shot by the far the best with cloverleaf three shot groups at 100. Hard to hold the Federal inside 1 MOA.

Both are "minute of deer" but only the Hornady is shooting MOA. Partly the shooter. Seems I get 2 rounds touching and the third out but still inside an inch. I suppose my 527 .223 has me spoiled.

I changed the scope in the picture out to a 3x9x50 Burris though.

Cleaning again and thinking I will go back to Hornady 123 SST and stick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2019, 07:26 AM
lv2fish

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I want a 527 6.5 Grendel myself. Its on my short list these days.
I may be able to speak to the dirty patches in a CZ blued barrel.
The barrel is blued inside and out after being hydro lapped. If you are pushing tight patches through and they keep coming out dirty (black maybe slightly brownish) it could be the factory bluing that you are removing. If you keep pushing patches through, and you just cant get a clean one, this is likely your issue. You could run 300 patches and still have dirt showing in this case. I had a 452 Scout and was perplexed how i just couldn't get the barrel clean, until i realized my mistake. Over 150 patches and still "dirty". When i discovered why I felt bad, as i have prematurely aged my bore on a brand new rifle. Live and learn.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:51 AM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I prefer a short barrel with low weight scope for hunting. I guess I need to get in line behind the lefties waiting for 'my' gun. Or throw in the towel and get a 762x39. I would seriously consider the new 350 Legend if the velocity freaks dont set the demand on 26" barrels.

Hornady does list a 129 INTERLOCK. I dont know if they load that in Grendel. Maybe not fast enough for the american dreamers. I would look for some bullet around 130 grains. My shooting would be under 200 yards and bullet weight matters.

I think luv2fish got it right on the cleaning. Not a worry.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:14 AM
Olympus

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
I prefer a short barrel with low weight scope for hunting. I guess I need to get in line behind the lefties waiting for 'my' gun. Or throw in the towel and get a 762x39. I would seriously consider the new 350 Legend if the velocity freaks dont set the demand on 26" barrels.

Hornady does list a 129 INTERLOCK. I dont know if they load that in Grendel. Maybe not fast enough for the american dreamers. I would look for some bullet around 130 grains. My shooting would be under 200 yards and bullet weight matters.

I think luv2fish got it right on the cleaning. Not a worry.

Im with you! I came close o buying the 527 in 6.5 Grendel until I learned it came with a 24 barrel! A 24 barrel in a sporting rifle is ridiculous in my opinion. I refuse to buy any sporting rifle with a 24 barrel. Its absolutely pointless for hunting purposes and adds additional unnecessary length which can be cumbersome with hunting from a blind or enclosed tower and also for getting into and out of UTVs.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:03 PM
tickridger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Old school here, as I could live with the 24 inch barrel. I somewhat understand why they did this since the Grendel is a somewhat slow mover and they are trying to eek out the most fps with the long barrel. Since the gain is minimum though they would have been better off to stick to the 21 inch tube. CZ reasoning lately seems a bit confused to me since they seem to be putting shorter barrels on rifles that could actually benefit from a longer one and longer barrels on one like this. Must be a marketing ploy rather than performance driven.

John
Old 10-28-2019, 04:14 PM
FALPhil
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I saw a CZ527 in 6.5 Grendel in my local Cabela's Gun Library yesterday. It sported a stainless Obermeyer barrel, and they were asking $650 for it.
Old Yesterday, 07:59 PM
staggofdryvalley

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
got my grendel today

gun show today was pretty slow , I had a CZ 527 carbine on my shoulder it was my 3rd 527 in 223 and I guess the 223 was just getting boring .

So what the heck a CZ dealer was there with a 6.5 Grendel 527 American wood was pretty basic with a very light finish on it , but I handed my carbine and asked about a trade , and to my surprise he made me deal !

also bought some Hornady black ammo 60 rounds of it to break in and have some thing to reload , since I have a 260 rem also it just made sense to me .
shot about 50 rounds of it this afternoon .

my experience with hornady black was not what mauser22 got , not even close . brought it home to clean it , ahh what the heck dropped the action out of the stock and after 50 rounds the there was shiney spot like a ring on the barrel at the fore end tip. hummm ? yep there seems to be some upward pressure on it . pretty obvious when I tightened it back in the stock . I like to shoot them first to see what I got , hopefully when I get this fixed it will shoot well.