Watch WM... - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-08-2019, 07:02 PM
S1loki
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Watch WM...

I picked up a bunch of American Eagle 20gr on clearance today. It was down to $10 a box.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:47 PM
orkan
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Unbelievable. I'd have bought all they had.

I don't understand why this cartridge isn't catching on. Lack of decent rifles?

I hardly ever shoot my HMR's anymore, if ever.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:09 AM
SquirrelDown

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I love my wsm I sold 2 hmrs and a 22 mag cause they just got shoved in a corner some where and a couple friends were interesed in them. Ive shot everything from squirrels to a coyote with mine I just got the cheap thin barrel b mag but it shoots like a dream as long as I dont get the barrel too hot.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 07:42 PM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Same here, SD! I shoot 20gr and I can add a couple of feral cats to the list. DOA!
Old 09-09-2019, 11:21 PM
jpw062

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Are you sure this was because of the cartridge and not WM reducing their interest in ammunition sales?
Quote:
I don't understand why this cartridge isn't catching on. Lack of decent rifles?
22LR kills squirrels and feral cats real dead for real cheap. None of the HMRs are on my radar.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:22 PM
S1loki

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Orkan, the nine boxes they had left with me. Even with taxes, there was change from the C-Note.

SD, I picked up a skinny barrel on a whim from WallyLand on clearance. Hated the plastic stock, dropped it into a thumbhole Boyds and love it.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:26 PM
S1loki

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
JPW, not a WallyWorld lack of ammo desire here. They only carry one rifle in-store chambered in it. This store don't even have that one rifle to even sell.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:28 PM
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1loki View Post
I picked up a bunch of American Eagle 20gr on clearance today. It was down to $10 a box.

American eagle 20 gr..
Never heard of it.
Pro's and cons ?
Old 09-09-2019, 11:40 PM
S1loki

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckweet View Post
American eagle 20 gr..
Never heard of it.
Pro's and cons ?
Its the "other" Federal Cartridge" label. It looks just like the Hornady 20gr Varmint, except for the color of the polymer tip.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:57 AM
jpw062

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was referring to their new policy, which is not entirely clear.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/03/busin...les/index.html
Moving away from handguns and semi-auto rifles towards hunting. I suspect a BA at WM trying to decide which ammos would look at what ammunition brands sees sales spikes around the various hunting seasons. I am guessing 17 WSm is not a round which spikes at any time. I expect WM to really scale down the number of stores and variety at stores still offering ammunition.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:51 PM
S1loki

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw062 View Post
I was referring to their new policy, which is not entirely clear.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/03/busin...les/index.html
Moving away from handguns and semi-auto rifles towards hunting. I suspect a BA at WM trying to decide which ammos would look at what ammunition brands sees sales spikes around the various hunting seasons. I am guessing 17 WSm is not a round which spikes at any time. I expect WM to really scale down the number of stores and variety at stores still offering ammunition.

I pretty much knew the tact you were on. I talked to the counter guru the other night. At this point in time, the plan is to let current inventory dwindle and not restock the currently evil stuff. The 17 HMR and WSM, at least, around here seems to have a steady draw on the stock.

I see the more urban stores scaling back the most. Followed by the stores that already do not sell firearms. Of the local stores around me, two do not sell firearms. Not even black powder stuff. That ammo counters are kinda lean already. The trickle down effect might be what other gear is impacted. Who is going to walk into a Wally that does not sell firearms or even ammo and look for other associated accessories? One of them, the surrounding area grew up and fenced it in. The other is still a small rural town, yet has serious competition from an ag store down the street.

My take on this, is Wally Corporate is doing lip service on this. Letting the furor subside and see what the landscape looks like afterwards.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:56 PM
S1loki

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So I stopped at the same store again this afternoon. Inventory says they ought to have eight more boxes. Not in the ammo case, nor in the markdown case. It could still be there, but. The dept manager walked by, chit chat ensued. She is a good one, does not hide anything or hold it back. If its getting clearanced, she wants it gone. Less inventory headaches to deal with.