New single 6 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:04 PM
k in AR
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New single 6

just purchased a new production single 6, 22 LR/Mag (2019). Looks like Ruger did a good job in MFG. But I have 2 questions, is it normal for the 22 Mag to spit a small amount of brass plating? Gun seems to be accurate, and function is as expected. It is just the little flakes of brass that concern me. And one other issue, the rear sight pin wanted to walk out to the left during my first firing of 25 rounds. I'm trying a touch of blue Lock Tight on the end of the pin to stop that, but is there a better way to keep the pin where it belongs?
Old 08-26-2019, 06:21 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congratulations on your Super single-six. Blue lock tite will work, just don't get it into the part of the sight that should move up and down, it can lock it up. Another approach is to drive the round pin about 1/2 way out of the frame and then put a slight bend in the pin. When you drive it back in place it should stay.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:38 PM
k in AR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2019, 07:06 PM
Preston-CLB
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
...is it normal for the 22 Mag to spit a small amount of brass plating? Gun seems to be accurate, and function is as expected. It is just the little flakes of brass that concern me.
Congrats on the new 'Six'. You will love it!

Are you talking about the plating on the bullet, or something else? What ammo were you using?

Does this happen with the .22LR cylinder, too?

My Single Six will sometimes spit a little unburned powder from between the cylinder and the forcing cone, but I've never seen it spit any metal.
--P
Old 08-26-2019, 07:31 PM
k in AR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you for your reply. the "spit" is actually some of the copper plating. Haven't really nailed it down to one cylinder or a little from all cylinders. It does seem to be a little less quantity now I have fired over 150 22 Mag rounds thru it.

Only put about 20 or 30 rounds thru the 22 LR cylinder and never noticed any copper on the frame with these. BTW the new, in the box, gun from the gun store had a fair amount of copper specks on the frame from their test firing (I assume).

I just wonder why this gun is shaving a little plating off the rounds and if that is normal for this type of gun. Ammo note: only using CCI maxi-mag HP.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:23 PM
Preston-CLB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I suggest giving the barrel and forcing cone a good cleaning with a lead/copper solvent. There could be a buildup, especially on the forcing cone that is causing this.

After cleaning and test firing, if it still occurs with mag cylinder, the timing notches may be out of spec. In other words, the chambers are not lining up with the barrel as they should.

If that's the case, I think a call to Ruger would be warranted.

Hopefully, the RFC Single Six gurus will chime in.
-P
Old 08-26-2019, 09:22 PM
Bradical
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston-CLB View Post
After cleaning and test firing, if it still occurs with mag cylinder, the timing notches may be out of spec. In other words, the chambers are not lining up with the barrel as they should.

If that's the case, I think a call to Ruger would be warranted.
Agree.

I would expect Ruger to want you to send the pistol back to them. Their service is great. They'll make it right.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:55 AM
Preston-CLB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just curious K in AR, but were you able to get the issue with the spitting copper resolved?

If so, what was the fix?
-P
Old 09-10-2019, 11:29 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First the sight pin. The accepted solution is to remove the pin and give it a little bend. A common problem. Now a days anyway. I mean yet another strike against Ruger? It is getting real old.

Second the bullet shrapnel, that most likely is a slight mis align between cylinder and barrel. I am sad to report my No1 shooting buddy got a Lipsey Bearcat that was spitting lead out the side. The front sight was mounted cocked to the left. The gun would not zero. It was yet another QC disappointment. It got traded to a big place, I wont mention. We never able to confirm the cylinder. it looked to me like I could almost eyeball uneven spacing on the cylinder holes looking down on the thing. And the cylinder side was dragging on the frame so that the lettering was getting scraped down. It was too much to bear. Three seperate stupid problems.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:32 AM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just curious, how much do you plan to shoot the Magnum cylinder? My newly acquired LNIB Single-six fit is perfect with the .22 lr cylinder installed. Lockup is very tight and perfectly aligned. In my case, I haven't even fired the .22 magnum cylinder and probably never will.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:26 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
sounds like you guys should get together?
Old 09-10-2019, 05:33 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
sounds like you guys should get together?
That's an idea, but I want to keep mine.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:47 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Both a recent GP100 in .22 LR and a Single Six had to go back to Ruger because of spitting issues. This is a timing question, I believe -- the cylinders and the forcing cone are "off" by a couple of thousandths. So most of the bullet goes down the barrel, but some goes sideways. It is a safety problem (eyes) and indicative of a mechanical issue. Call Ruger. 1 (336) 949-5200 They will fix things up for you. In my case, the revolvers were new and they paid for shipping both ways.