Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Atta boy chuckbiscuits:
You are a Great Guy!
Old 08-25-2019, 02:07 AM
Iowa Fox
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew22 View Post
The ones I have done thus far have been very tight. I always heat the reciever and use antiseize when installing a barrel and even so it has taken some effort to get the barrel fully seated. Definitely tighter then any of the ruger recievers i have put barrels in. I have only worked with one tactical innovations reciever but it is about on par with that for what its worth.

The only issue I have had with mine is the same as most where you have to file down the bolt shelf ever so slightly (maybe 1/16 of an inch) to get the bolt to drop in easily. I have only tried JWH bolts though so maybe others fit better?

All in all i am very happy with them especially at the price they are. The machining is really nice and the finish is pretty smooth. When I switched out a ruger reciever for one of them I did see a distinctive improvment in accuracy with all the other components the same. I attribute the improvment to the much tighter barrel fit. I also had to use much less of my upward scope adjustment to get it zeroed in.

I will also add all of mine are from the past 2 months. They were backordered for a month or 2 there and they are from the batch after that. So very recent as far as the production goes. Another tip is google "brownells promo code". They always have some running for 10$ off of $100, $20 off of $200 etc. and free shipping to boot so a good way to get the cost even lower.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Thanks Andrew.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:23 PM
MannlicherFan
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
For me it just isn't worth the effort to advertise, manage offers, package and ship something with as little value as a carbine barrel.
So what do you do with your surplus barrels - throw 'em in the dumpster??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc. View Post
I've picked up a few barrel/stock combos in the past. I have everything I need to build a new 10/22 except the receiver I was contemplating a home made gun but California said I can't anymore..... May buy one of the aftermarket ones to build. rc
Will commiefornia allow an after market receiver? - If yes.. Kingston Armory Parkerized STEEL 10/22 Receiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
For the money, the Kingston Armory receivers at S&P are the best value going.

Factory barrels arenít worth the trouble once you pay for shipping.

That is why I build rifles with no Ruger parts whatsoever, except the 10 round magazines.
So what do you do with them - throw them in the dumpster??

What about the receiver & trigger group?? I use Ruger receivers, trigger groups (reworked by Clark Custom) & magazines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem-E View Post
Too many one GB and ebay are just stupid priced. I just ordered a 31145 from my local shop for $183. I can see buying a complete receiver for $165, + shipping and FFL when I can buy a complete rifle for less. Ill probably sell the barrel and stock off the 31145, since i already have a couple of good factory barrels.
Including those sold by S & P outfitters Paid $95 for a blued 16-1/2" factory barrel with standard sights Oct 2016

Are 16-1/2" factory barrels with fire-sights worth more than standard 18.5" carbine barrels??

What about factory stainless barrel, 18.5" with fire sights??

Quote:
Im in the same boat myself. If you are looking at aftermarket I recommend the brownells ones. On sale now for 55 bucks for the non railed version and that includeds a nice V-block and screws. Impossible to beat for the price! I have built on 3 of them and have 3 more waiting at my FFL for me to pick up. So far i have been super pleased with all of them.
Will commiefornia allow an after market receiver? - If yes.. Kingston Armory Parkerized STEEL 10/22 Receiver

Quote:
There are always a bunch on EBay as well. Though I often feel they are overpriced. S&P outfitters carrys new take offs along with a bunch of other parts.
Including those sold by S & P outfitters Paid $95 for a blued 16-1/2" factory barrel with standard sights Oct 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
Yep, a little to late though - Wish I would have checked them before I bought my TD Could have saved couple hundred $$ buying just the receiver.

Already had trigger pack, JWH bolt & buffer, Power Custom Bolt Handle + misc parts. Only needed Magpul X-22 + TacSol barrel combo.

Total would have been about $200 less for the rifle than I have in it now. AND, I wouldn't have to try & sell off the left overs

Last edited by MannlicherFan; 09-08-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:10 AM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
Tomato stakes.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:11 PM
Four52 shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I picked up a 16" factory barrel a few weeks ago and it looks to be fairly accurate , at least compared the 18" factory 10/22 barrels I have owned. This is the one I may eventually send to CPC.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:22 PM
MannlicherFan

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Cool

Tomato stakes..
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
LOL

Not in commiefornia - barrels contain lead, which cause's cancer & reproductive harm, if you believe Prop 65
Old 09-09-2019, 03:31 PM
MannlicherFan

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four52 shooter View Post
I picked up a 16" factory barrel a few weeks ago and it looks to be fairly accurate , at least compared the 18" factory 10/22 barrels I have owned. This is the one I may eventually send to CPC.
Threaded - yes / no

standard or fire-sights

How much $$ did you pay - if you don't mind me asking

Thx

FYI: I have a 16-inch threaded TD barrel in the classifieds.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:02 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Fwiw, I have it on good authority that a number of threaded muzzle barrels (not just 10-22s) suffer from squish at the threaded portion. Apparently it is relatively easy to over tighten the caps or devices screwed on and the effect is not the same as a properly 'choke lapped' muzzle.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:33 PM
Four52 shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannlicherFan View Post

Threaded - yes / no

standard or fire-sights

How much $$ did you pay - if you don't mind me asking

Thx

Mine is not threaded but does have the fire sights. Was just over $60 with $11 shipping. It was an unfired take off and the last one he had.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:16 PM
MannlicherFan

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Fwiw, I have it on good authority that a number of threaded muzzle barrels (not just 10-22s) suffer from squish at the threaded portion. Apparently it is relatively easy to over tighten the caps or devices screwed on and the effect is not the same as a properly 'choke lapped' muzzle.
Most of my Tactical Solutions barrels are threaded - no choice for the past coupe years much to my chagrin.

Newest of my TS barrels is on my 10/22 TD, screwed a Pike Arms flash hider on it hand tight only. Put at least 200rds down range this past weekend & it didn't come loose. I've run it on one of my other TS barrels with the same result.

Put one of these.. Spiral gloss black compensator for Ruger factory barrels on my SR22P with factory threaded barrel. Put a punch through a couple holes & snugged it down. No probs with it this past weekend either.

I'm guessing the issue has more to do with steel compensators / muzzle brakes like this one.. Turbo 308 Muzzle Brake Compensator being screwed onto steel barrels; be it Ruger, GM, Kidd, etc. with an open end / crescent wrench to tighten (or over tighten) it down. Notice that device has two flat spots for a wrench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four52 shooter View Post
Mine is not threaded but does have the fire sights. Was just over $60 with $11 shipping. It was an unfired take off and the last one he had.
Thank you for the info

Getting ready to list factory SS barrel (unfired) with fire sights in the classifieds.

Now have a better idea of where to start price wise.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:55 PM
CD2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have a pre warning bbl that doesn't shoot well.
Have not closely inspected the crown.
Was orig bbl on '70 sporter,
Rifling appears decent.

like the looks of the factory bbl on a fingergroove.
Should I send it in to CPC?

I did buy a smooth 18.5" Ruger from SAP. It is matte.
Brownells is out of matte black Gunkote (plan is to paint that bbl to better matchy factory receiver color).

But the gun looks "too thin" with the SAP bbl. Think it would help the lines if a front sight added. Purely cosmetic.

I have a GM heavy taper 19" that shoots good. But inletting the fingergroove for it would have the front of the stock kinda thin on the sides.

Anybody mod a fingergroove for the GM HT 19"? If so got pics?

Do have another pre warning bbl w newer Ruger sights, needs reblued or cerakoted or whatever.

Anybody need one just PM. Too late in season to use as tomato stake.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:21 PM
stevebla
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc. View Post
I've picked up a few barrel/stock combos in the past. I have everything I need to build a new 10/22 except the receiver I was contemplating a home made gun but California said I can't anymore..... May buy one of the aftermarket ones to build. rc
You can build guns in Kalifornia. 80% receiver is complicated and beyond the scope of my first statement. I had a Brownell's receiver sent to a FFL it is no problem.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:36 PM
SteveinAK
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'd just like to find one of the 22" factory sporter barrels. The added sight radius with a set of Tech Sights would be nice for Appleseeds.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:37 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The reports Ive read of their accuracy is 'not so good'.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:45 PM
Rod Blackburn
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I sold the factory barrel from my 10/22 Target model.

I got $85.00 & put the amount toward a Green Mountain barrel.