Uberti Stallion vs Ruger Bisley SS - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:32 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

Did you research online how to remove a sticky base pin before giving it the pliers?
And that research should give you some really good ideas on just what/why/where a 'problem' might be. Many parts get modded in the wrong place.
Thing is that all these guns are put together on an assembly line, they are not finely hand fit by well experienced craftsmen. The bits and bobs that combine to make a firearm can have a few that need a little tweak. Most get lucky and the whole thing works but some are like you and me, something can need a tweak. Learning how to work on my own stuff was liberating (and challenging).
May I suggest that the next time you are tempted to use a pliers you stop, retreat from the project and rethink the approach.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:01 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Did you research online how to remove a sticky base pin before giving it the pliers?
And that research should give you some really good ideas on just what/why/where a 'problem' might be. Many parts get modded in the wrong place.
Thing is that all these guns are put together on an assembly line, they are not finely hand fit by well experienced craftsmen. The bits and bobs that combine to make a firearm can have a few that need a little tweak. Most get lucky and the whole thing works but some are like you and me, something can need a tweak. Learning how to work on my own stuff was liberating (and challenging).
May I suggest that the next time you are tempted to use a pliers you stop, retreat from the project and rethink the approach.
Yes I did , suggestions were to remove the hammer , and tap it out , or get a visegrip and pull it out after removing the push pin and the ejector assembly. I chose the pliers .
Thinking back on the reason I sold my black powder 1873 Uberti about 10-12 years ago was about the same reason , but I thought it was because of residue left from the Pyrodex I used .
If a revolver requires removing its cylinder, the manufacturer should make sure the consumer can remove the cylinder when needed . Kirby
Old 02-23-2019, 07:56 PM
bouddha
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I fixed my sticky pin today...took it out, 600 grit W/D over the smooth length, found a burr on the ring between the 'safe' & the ready grooves and used a jeweller's file, cleaned, relubed and installed. Now works as well as I hoped! That was my only gripe with this pistol.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:22 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Update on my Stallion .
A couple days ago I got idea that the best way to apply an even pressure on my front sight ( with hopes of not scratching it up) was to use a crescent wrench tightened down on the center of the blade so I could apply a light pressure to it and bend it slightly left . Good idea , bad results . With just a slight pressure the blade popped out of its groove thatís milled into the front of the barrel.
With lemons , make lemonade . I carefully filed the base of the blade to remove some of the rough edges to where I could tap (with a plastic hammer ) the sight back into the groove with a little JB Weld to hold it in place . I eyeball it hoping to get it straight .
This morning I sanded the finish off the top back of the blade so I could see it better outdoors .
Today I got a chance to try it out and was happy to find it now shoots dead on .
I also sanded the cylinder pin and got it to working smoother .
Iím learning to like the revolver, but still think itís over priced for what theyíre going for right now . Kirby
Old 03-06-2019, 05:32 AM
gr8guns

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Yep, that is true for me !

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby999 View Post
Update on my Stallion .
A couple days ago I got idea that the best way to apply an even pressure on my front sight ( with hopes of not scratching it up) was to use a crescent wrench tightened down on the center of the blade so I could apply a light pressure to it and bend it slightly left . Good idea , bad results . With just a slight pressure the blade popped out of its groove that’s milled into the front of the barrel.
With lemons , make lemonade . I carefully filed the base of the blade to remove some of the rough edges to where I could tap (with a plastic hammer ) the sight back into the groove with a little JB Weld to hold it in place . I eyeball it hoping to get it straight .
This morning I sanded the finish off the top back of the blade so I could see it better outdoors .
Today I got a chance to try it out and was happy to find it now shoots dead on .
I also sanded the cylinder pin and got it to working smoother .
I’m learning to like the revolver, but still think it’s over priced for what they’re going for right now . Kirby
Yes, I think the price is too high now. You can get a stainless Ruger for about

the same. When the Ruger was available at 379.00, that was a super deal !!

I only paid 250 for my Uberti revolvers. Tanner Sports Center in Pennsylvania

sold a couple of hundred of them at that price, three of them to me.

The Ruger has lifetime support . I looked at the three Uberti revolvers

I have, and the cylinder pin is smooth in all three. Good shooting !

It looks like you are getting your Uberti to shoot well. I also have the

Uberti full size cattleman, it looks edzachary like the Colt Single Action

Army revolver, I had them side by side. The only visible difference was

the Colt symbol beside the patent date. It is a handful ! A 7.5 inch barrel

in a full size revolver is heavy.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:36 AM
gr8guns

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Good shooting !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouddha View Post
Mine is a Cattleman, not a Stallion...10 yards, very slight left favor.

I have a full size Cattleman with the 7.5 inch barrel. I can shoot it better

than the smaller Stallion. It is a heavy revolver !
Old 09-08-2019, 02:13 PM
bs812

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guns View Post
Yes, I think the price is too high now. You can get a stainless Ruger for about

the same. When the Ruger was available at 379.00, that was a super deal !!

I only paid 250 for my Uberti revolvers. Tanner Sports Center in Pennsylvania

sold a couple of hundred of them at that price, three of them to me.

The Ruger has lifetime support . I looked at the three Uberti revolvers

I have, and the cylinder pin is smooth in all three. Good shooting !

It looks like you are getting your Uberti to shoot well. I also have the

Uberti full size cattleman, it looks edzachary like the Colt Single Action

Army revolver, I had them side by side. The only visible difference was

the Colt symbol beside the patent date. It is a handful ! A 7.5 inch barrel

in a full size revolver is heavy.

At the risk of reviving an older thread I wanted to say I have one of the Uberti revolvers from Tanner that I picked up when they were blowing them out at $249. The cylinder pin on mine required the Emory cloth sandpaper treatment before it could be removed easily. I was able to get mine out by cocking hammer and using a very long stiff remnant of a Tipton .22 rod that I broke a few years ago. That’s another story. Regardless, after a little polishing all is well. Great pistol and I feel it was a steal at that price