how loud is a .22 mag - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-22-2019, 12:52 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

A 22 mag rifle has tolerable noise without ear muffs. As stated it's quieter than a shotgun blast. It has less than half the noise of a 223 or larger centerfire. From pistols, a 22 LR is probably a bunch quieter.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:15 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
But a 22LR isnt 'quiet' from a pistol, so it only gets worse from there.
Something Ive noticed is people with tinnitus or needing/using hearing aids are the ones who often warn of protecting one's hearing.
Would think there has to be Db ratings 'out there' on this.

Last edited by gcrank1; 07-22-2019 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:30 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Something Ive noticed is people with tinnitus or needing/using hearing aids are the ones who often warn of protecting one's hearing.
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscogunguy View Post
I went target shooting the other day, forgot my ear protection when I left the house. Shot my .22 Heritage revolver with 4.25" barrel, Not too loud in .22 LR, I then shot my 9mm with a 4" barrel and while considerably louder than the .22 my ears were not ringing. I then swapped out my .22 LR cylinder in the Heritage for the. 22 Mag cylinder, loaded with 6 rounds of Hornady V-max and fired at the target. It was so much louder than my 9mm that after 6 rounds with no ear protection I felt like my ears were going to bleed, I never though any .22 caliber could be that loud. If I ever forget my hearing protection again I will not shoot it. I'm not sure exactly how much louder they are but the answer is significantly louder than the .22 LR.
I'd suggest that you already have significant hearing damage.

I've shot 22 magnum in open fields (significant because there isn't a lot of sound reflecting back at the shooter). It wasn't quite painful, but that doesn't mean it was safe. I've shot 22lr from a semi-automatic pistol in open fields. It also isn't safe.

I've shot 9mm from a five inch barrel without ear protection. It was painful.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:31 AM
whichfinger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have profound hearing loss and wear some very expensive hearing aids that only partially compensate. Hearing loss caused by being stupid and not wearing ear protection while shooting. Listening to a random keyboard expert on the interwebs is perhaps not in one's best interest. One might be better served by researching "noise induced hearing loss," or hearing loss due to gunfire" on the web to see what professionals in the field have to say.

The following links may sorely test the attention span of some, but no pain, no gain:

https://www.earq.com/blog/guide-to-n...d-hearing-loss

https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/noi...d-hearing-loss

http://dangerousdecibels.org/educati...-hearing-loss/

https://www.healthyhearing.com/repor...ts-and-hearing

https://www.outdoorlife.com/articles...ent-it/#page-2
Old 07-22-2019, 10:35 AM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Read post 28.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:49 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
On rifles?
Old 07-22-2019, 12:18 PM
Henry88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I didn't see anyone mention the WRF. A little quieter out of a long gun @ about 400 fps less

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/13...d-hollow-point
Old 07-22-2019, 02:02 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
22lr HV 18.5" 10-22 about 140db +/- 2db
In a rifle 22 magnum about 150 db depending on load and barrel length.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:38 PM
CamP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I have tinnitus pretty bad in my right ear. It started after I bought a 22 mag pistol a few years ago, and it didn't take too many shots to permanently mess up my ear.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:48 AM
buchkshot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I guess I'm just a pussy but with exceptions as noted below, I won't shoot any gun without muffs now, even while shooting doves with a shotgun. Exceptions: shotgun or centerfire rifle while hunting deer or a shotgun when hunting ducks. I've actively shot guns for 50 years now and it seems ear sensitivity is more pronounced, especially during a Southern opening day dove shoot - the kind where one limits out in 30 minutes. In such situations, without protection, I experience a painful wince to the point it affects the shot.
Old 08-24-2019, 03:22 PM
jcc273

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Angry

Teens-early 20s: Worked on military jets without earpro - very small loss.
Early 20s to early 40s: Shot often without earpro - no noticeable loss.
Early 40s: went to indoor range with just foam plugs - Ouch, but no lasting damage.
Mid 50's: Attended a Motley Crue concert with pyrotechnics at indoor arena - EEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeforever .

I won't shoot any gun without earpro. I tell everyone who will listen.

-Jim

...and I don't even -like- Motley Crue.

Last edited by jcc273; 08-24-2019 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:16 PM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As an old 81mm mortar crewman, I highly recommend wearing ear protection ALWAYS when shooting anything. In high school, I was a concert monger, too. After the Army, I spent 25 years or so shooting IPSC, with guys shooting really hot .38 Super loads in compensated pistols. Those suckers are LOUD.
I usually don't use hearing protection while hunting, but I've sure paid the price, when I popped a deer with a .44 Magnum, off to my left side. My left ear was pretty close to the revolver when it went off, and the tinnitus is no fun at all.
My hearing is still pretty good, thanks to always wearing protection at the range where I worked for awhile, but it's always worth it to wear protection. Always.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:56 PM
Jason375

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
...and I don't even -like- Motley Crue.[/QUOTE]

It's a shame you don't like Motley Crue, they are a great band. I enjoyed them in concert.
Motorhead was the loudest concert I have been too, people were running away it was so loud, me included.
22 Mag is loud, loud enough to do some damage, always wear ear protection when you can
Old 08-30-2019, 05:20 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
I like the noise, it's a healthy sounding report.
I like this description, I feel the same way. Having said that, after years of shooting rimfire guns without ear protection as well as other activities, I am now dealing with tinnitus and hearing loss and I now wear ear protection religiously.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:55 PM
BlackBat242

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My father (now retired railroad police) taught me at the age of 8, when he taught me to shoot, to ALWAYS wear at least foam earplugs - ear muffs if shooting centerfire!

I'm 57, shot competitive .22lr indoor for 3 years in high school, worked around aircraft in the USMC for 8 years (also ran a test bench with loud equipment and shot regularly), etc.

I always wore hearing protection when shooting and every time I was in an environment too loud to hear normal-volume conversations from 5'+. USMC instructor: "If you have to raise your voice to talk to someone, put on your &^%^$#&* earmuffs!"

The VA is still amazed at how GOOD my hearing is.

My father has moderate hearing loss - mainly from not wearing hearing protection around running diesel locomotives.

Still - it is NEVER TOO LATE to start wearing hearing protection - save what you have left!

Last edited by BlackBat242; 09-07-2019 at 02:02 PM.