First .22 pistol purchase in 50 years :-) - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-01-2019, 12:31 PM
TDplinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First .22 pistol purchase in 50 years :-)

I'm a center-fire pistol shooter and haven't had a .22lr pistol for a very long time. I also shoot a 10/22 TD regularly and a .22lr bench-rest gun regularly.

I want to purchase a .22 lr pistol and I'm considering a Buckmark/Mark IV/Victory; in no particular order.

I'd like your input and I have a mixed bag of requirements:

1) I'm 75 years old - a 2-3 times weekly shooter in the winter months.
2) I'd like this pistol to be a red-dot trainer as well as iron-sight range gun
3) This will be an exclusively range gun
4) I'm hopeful that my wife (totally inexperienced in any form of firearms) would like to shoot this on RARE occasions.
5) I would like this to be a way to introduce others to shooting. I have a mixed bag of friends, some of whom are more concerned about how frightening a firearm looks than what it does. - Yes, I know, but the "mixed bag" thing keeps things lively.
6) Since we are an older crowd, the 22/45 grip angle makes the most sense.
7) I have a left-over Vortex Crossfire red-dot from my 10/22 that I'd like to use for starters
8) I hopefully will be moving to a larger MOA low profile sight, that could also transition to one of my Sig P320's (9mm).
9) I burn whatever ammo I have and clean my guns regularly - with every range trip mostly. If I'm going to use it as a trainer, I don't want any gummy-gun stoppages. I'll have to admit that the shooters who use their dirty pre-Mark IV's on our range drive me nuts with all the stoppages. I'm pretty easy to get along with, but this one perterbs me - I've actually seen potential shooters get tired of waiting and give up before they get started.

So, what in your experience would you recommend for a balanced, red-dot mounted, .22lr pistol that has the most ergonomic of controls, that can be operated by people with senior-aged grip strength and gives the most easily picked up sight pattern for (covered, outdoor, desert) range use. Eats anything, cleans quickly and requires the least operator intervention.

I'm sure there are red-dot characteristics that would facilitate this.

Any and all recommendations considered. I've spent a lot of time watching videos and forming opinions, but I've learned for experience that forum experience beats education by screen emersion.

Thanks,
Roger
Old 09-01-2019, 02:15 PM
jstanfield103
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Buckmark is a fine firearm. They have great triggers and are accurate. But what you are wanting I would go with a Ruger Mark IV 22/45, either in the light version or the Tactical. I have the heavier tactical. The Ruger's can be made to do just about anything you require. They seem to cover everything you are looking for in a pistol. Take down to clean there is no gun out there any easier than the Mark IV. I like the Tactical because receiver and barrel are all steel.

Good Luck you will Love a 22lr. pistol again.

After rereading your comments I will also say I clean my Ruger's after every use most of the time. I shoot at least three times a week. I have my own 25 yard steel plate range consisting of two 6 plate tree's and 12 steel plates running from 1' to 2". I have three Marks. Mark III Competition, Mark IV 22/45 Tactical, and Mark IV Hunter. I am trying to remember if I have ever had a problem shooting any three. Funny thing I can not remember having one time that they did not fire when shooting. So mine are very reliable in that fact.

Last edited by jstanfield103; 09-01-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:42 PM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Second for a Ruger, I have a 22/45 target. The irons sights were great out of the box, the trigger needed work. Put a Volquartsen Mk II trigger kit in mine. My GF loves shooting it, it is by far her favorite handgun. Easy to put optics on with a rail kit too.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2019, 03:34 PM
mparker
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Any of the three will serve you well.

Ruger has a lot of third party support. tactical Solutions and Volquartsen are probably the front runners. I prefer Volquartsen.

S&W went to Volquartsen for advice when designing the Victory. Smart move in my book. Still, the Victory does not yet have the support Ruger products enjoy.
Old 09-01-2019, 03:47 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
S&W Model 41 or Buck Mark.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:23 PM
TDplinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the information everyone. It's started me rethinking my plan of course :-) . The difficulty is trying to sort out what I want and what I think would be best for the larger-goal of trying to introduce others to shooting.

The Mark IV certainly has a lot of plusses, especially cleaning and the lightweight option. I prefer a heavier gun, but this is not just for me.

I've also been taking a long look at the SW22 Victory. In reading all the reviews I can get my hands on - especially Bud's - there seems to be some leanings that the trigger on the S&W is just a bit better than that on the Ruger (out of the box). The Browning is also highly regarded in that area, but I don't like the takedown on the Buckmark.

Aftermarket kits are available on both the S&W and Ruger, but the install procedures (Tandemkross videos) on the S&W make that gun look more difficult to work on, and especially requiring better small motor skills and finger strength.

Just me thinking out loud, but comments always welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,
Roger
Old 09-02-2019, 12:48 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have never had the S&W they just do not interest me, but that being said the S&W and the Browning will have the better trigger out of the box. But if you realize the Ruger will need about $100 worth of Volquartsen Kit parts to make the Ruger better than them all.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:49 PM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
A Smith model 41 would be a fine first 22LR handgun if you can find one, otherwise a Browning buck Mark is a great platform to consider.

My 22/45 Mark III with 5" bull barrel target model has decent weight, albeit top heavy with the polymer frame, but not too heavy and very easy to work on. As you know there is a ton of aftermarket support for this pistol.

As an aside, SW makes a model 617, 10 shot 22LR revolver that's considerably heavier than most semi-autos and is reviewed very well, albeit pricey. It would be a good beginner gun with the same features as the 22LR Ruger GP100, if you wanted a wheel gun to consider.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2019, 02:45 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I agree that any of the three will serve. It sounds like though, for your needs, the S&W Victory is the way to go. I say this mainly because the Ruger triggers can be a bit gritty out of the box. I have several Rugers and no Victorys, but I am comfortable taking the Rugers down and tinkering with them myself. I think as a platform for future projects, the Ruger is hard to beat. But for the "out of the box" experience you are looking for, I think the S&W would be the way to go.

Actually, the aiming system is probably more important in these entry level pistols than anything else about them, assuming that they are all comfortable in your hand. I recommend an AT3 Tactical red dot. It is a reasonably priced tube-style with a 2 MOA dot. One of these on a Victory would put a smile on anyone's face, I think.

I also recommend getting your hands on physical examples of all three, rather than going off third-party reviews at a place like Bud's. Choosing a pistol based on someone else's review is like choosing boots that way. Something simple will bite you about the set up of one or the other pistols. . .

Good luck! And let us know what follows you home. . . .

Last edited by flangster; 09-02-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:55 PM
gr8guns

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Triggers ? Browning?

I have two Buckmarks purchased new by me, and a couple of the Smith & Wesson Victory pistols. I don’t have a MK Ruger, at this time, because I traded them all off. The triggers on them were a little gritty and had take up....just not smooth. I would have kept them, but a chance to buy a couple of super nice made in Hamden ,Connecticut High Standards came around.

The Buckmark triggers are not in the same league as the Victory triggers I have. The model 41 pistols I own have a much better trigger than either of the other pistols mentioned here. It is hard for me to recommend anything other than the Smith & Wesson Victory pistols based on the criteria the OP mentioned.

My Buckmark pistol triggers are ok because I switched the trigger springs out. Out of the box, the Buckmark triggers were terrible . The model 41 is terribly expensive these days, and the latest examples are a little rough based on what
you have to pay for them. It is very hard to beat the value received in the Victory pistol, in my book. They are about 150 to 175 less than the stainless MKIV Ruger, and there are after market goodies to upgrade the trigger, grips, and other parts just like the Rugers.

The Ruger has been around forever.....the Victory is newer, but a great pistol, and people are still trying to get great triggers for the Buckmarks. And yes, put hands on them ! One may fit you better than the other. Flangster hit the nail on the head !

I like my old High Standards when it comes to great shooters with a great trigger, I simply cleaned them and starting shooting them. Some of the old High Standards out there have cracked frames.

Last edited by gr8guns; 09-02-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:13 PM
Tennc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The standard Victory was significantly less expensive than the Rugers when I purchased my S&W. It also comes with an optional rail to make mounting a red dot easy. If cost is not a concern, then take a look at the Performance Center Victorys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk