H&R m12 tune up - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:35 PM
thesandman
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
H&R m12 tune up

I bought a JNL tuner for my gun and was trying to get it tuned. I tried several brands of ammo from CCI sv, SK match, pistol Match, pistol match special, eley Wolf mx, several lots of lapua ctr-x, eley club, target and bb. Over $400 later nothing. While trying the black box i had two missfires so i decided to check some stuff out. Ctr-x rims all measure .041 while eley ran in 38,s and 39,s. Eley has a longer band so they were close on engraving. I pulled firing pin spring and it was very compressed, perhaps 25% shorter than new. Gun shot alittle better than before (no tuner). I put everything back to beginning length according to Purdy rx. Average group at best. Went in 1 click and it shot best it ever has since tuner arrived. Next group same. In 1 more click group opened up again. Back 1 click great again. 1068 and 1060 both shot great. Now waiting for more ammo. A chronograph would have saved me alot of headaches but I was always rushing to get testing in a low wind window just before dark. Now all that previous data is useless. $$$ down the tube.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:08 AM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesandman View Post
I bought a JNL tuner for my gun and was trying to get it tuned. I tried several brands of ammo from CCI sv, SK match, pistol Match, pistol match special, eley Wolf mx, several lots of lapua ctr-x, eley club, target and bb. Over $400 later nothing. While trying the black box i had two missfires so i decided to check some stuff out. Ctr-x rims all measure .041 while eley ran in 38,s and 39,s. Eley has a longer band so they were close on engraving. I pulled firing pin spring and it was very compressed, perhaps 25% shorter than new. Gun shot alittle better than before (no tuner). I put everything back to beginning length according to Purdy rx. Average group at best. Went in 1 click and it shot best it ever has since tuner arrived. Next group same. In 1 more click group opened up again. Back 1 click great again. 1068 and 1060 both shot great. Now waiting for more ammo. A chronograph would have saved me alot of headaches but I was always rushing to get testing in a low wind window just before dark. Now all that previous data is useless. $$$ down the tube.
IMO if you had used a regular Harrells and started at zero and gone out by 5-click adjustments and shooting 3-shot groups, you would have been better off.
for every 50 rds., you can have 16 3-shot groups and have a better chance of finding the setting you are looking for.

Lee
Old 05-11-2019, 11:09 AM
thesandman

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Well I have something to start with now. Picked up some ammo yesterday. Will know more next week. But I agree with that method for Harrell since the Purdy rx can be tricky with Harrell having two muzzle diameters.

Last edited by thesandman; 05-11-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2019, 11:17 AM
thesandman

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Brother Lee; I would like to try and find a lite weight setting with JNL and small weight to try and duplicate what you are doing. I will get a weight and let you know.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:37 AM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesandman View Post
Brother Lee; I would like to try and find a lite weight setting with JNL and small weight to try and duplicate what you are doing. I will get a weight and let you know.
I turned down a weight for a J&L turner for a friend and he reports it seemed to help. I am not saying a heavier tuner will not work, as I know it will, but I found out using tuners under 5-oz. really opened up the window for finding lots that shoot. prior to going with lite tuners my rifles liked 27 & 28 speed Lapua last testing at Lapua I found a 29 speed that shot real good, so now it can shoot 27,28,29 & 30 real good. still haven't done much with slower speeds.

I would offer a tuner for you to try, but I already have sent 2 out for testing, so I don't have any.

Lee

P.S the J & L weight was nearly 3-oz. if I remember correctly, after I turned it down I believe it was 1.5 oz.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:29 PM
1holeoholic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gentlemen...I am new here but extremely interested in the M12. Trying to wring the most out of one I purchased years ago from DCM. It's bone stock, been tweaking the action screw torque, trigger adjustments, and mounted a Vortex Viper HST 6x24x50 on it.
To get to the point....What's the best group sizes (50 yds?) you've heard of or experienced? Trying to figure out if I've achieved (5 shots inside 3/8 dia. @ 50 yds with lapua polar biathalon) the limits of a bone stock model...and/or where do I go from here.
Thanks in advance
Old 08-31-2019, 06:55 AM
thesandman

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Brother 1holeaholic; I really can't help you as I bed all of mine and work on triggers. You would be better starting a thread with that ?