Light strikes and domed cases - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-16-2019, 05:00 PM
Royb
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

As many times as I have taken the spring out of the rifle I always refer back to a reference photo to make sure that I have it positioned correctly. I have purposely reversed the trigger spring just to see what the strike results would be. I do have the spring positioned correctly. I was also concerned about the sear spring and checked specifically to make sure that it was in place. It is in place and I assume working properly. I haven’t tried removing the firing pin from the bolt. Most of the posts that I read made it appear to be difficult due to the peening around the retaining pin. But at this point, I’ll sure give it a try. I have no way of measuring the trigger pull but believe me it’s really light. And the audible snap is much softer now, not the snap that it used to have. Any thing else you think I could do?
Old 08-16-2019, 05:05 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
Does the hammer turn easily on the cross pin. Seems very odd that changing the hammer would have any affect on the power of the hammer strike?
Old 08-16-2019, 05:40 PM
Royb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The hammer moves without any friction. I have noticed that the hammer does have a detented position now that I didn’t observe with the original hammer. Now there is a distinct vertical position, similar to the photos in this post. Before it just went forward until it rested on the upper part of the mag well. My thoughts with the VK hammer is something has to be different from the factory hammer to reduce the force required to pull the trigger. I compared them but didn’t spend a lot of time trying to find any differences.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:31 PM
Royb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just tore the rifle down again to verify what I had posted was accurate. The hammer spring is installed correctly and the sear spring is still in place. It’s a little difficult to verify the sear spring without taking the hammer, spring and bushings out, but it’s there. I was wondering, if I purchase a used factory hammer spring will the aftermarket aluminum bushings work? The plastic ones are long gone. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:25 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have you tried hand cycling and shooting one round at a time?
Old 08-16-2019, 10:37 PM
Royb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm still concerned about the light case hits that I'm seeing now. But, the proof would be with actually firing the rifle. My plan is to go to the range tomorrow or Sunday and see what happens. If I start out with light strike misfires, I'll try to cycle one round at a time and see how that works out. I'll post the results after I test fire.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:31 AM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Might be worth buying just in case.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/746560

(says 'new')
Old 08-19-2019, 04:12 PM
Royb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I know that I have referred to the spring that was changed out as the trigger spring. But it is actually the hammer spring that I have been referring to, shown in the photo that is in this post. I still haven’t tried the rifles operation since I made the hammer and ejector changes but I will test fire it this week. I purchased some CCI 40 grain mini max bullets, just to see if there’s any difference in reliability.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:23 PM
Royb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well gang, I put 10 rounds through the rifle without any problems at all. The trigger pull was great and the new VK extractor threw the shell casings much better than the factory extractor. I checked all the casings that I could find and there was no doming on any of the shell bases. The pin strike is still lighter than I would like, but with no misfires I am not complaining. I didn’t think to try the Hornady 30 grain V-max ammo. But I will have other chances in the future. The CCI 40 grain maxi-mag worked great. I appreciate the help you all provided, it’s a great forum and I will remain a member.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:54 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glad it turned out well for you Roy.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:19 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
Glad you got it shooting and plan to stick around. Now you are ready to share trouble shooting knowledge with others!
Old 08-26-2019, 07:32 PM
Royb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thought I would give everyone an update on my 597. I went to the range this afternoon; I wanted to check the rifles operation and I had installed a scope and wanted to zero it in. Using the CCI maxi-mag 40 grain ammunition, I put around 40 rounds through the rifle with absolutely no malfunctions at all. The only thing that I observed that will require some attention, is the bolt release. The bolt locks open, as it should, after the last round is fired. The problem that I have now is the bolt will not close after a loaded magazine is inserted. Only once out of approximately 13 times did the bolt close correctly. When I removed the mag and manually released the bolt the rifle cycled normally through each shot until it locked open on the last shot. Any suggestions on correcting the bolt release would appreciated.
Now, the rest of the story. I had previously said that I wanted to check the functionality of the Hornady V-Max 30 grain ammunition. Loading the first 5 rounds into the magazine resulted in the following: 1st round, fired, did not eject, 2nd round, misfire, light pin strike, 3rd round, failure to feed, 4th round, fired and ejected but failed to feed last round and finally 5th round, failed to fire. I manually ejected and recycled all the failures and they eventually did fire. This was pretty much the overall operational results of all of the remaining Hornady ammunition. I also observed case doming on most of the cases that I could find. I did run another 20 rounds of the CCI 40 grain ammunition through the rifle without any problems at all.
IMO, I honestly think that there were two issues here: the first was the Hornady .22 WMR ammo rim measurements were below SAAMI standards, .043-044 was what I measured, with .050 being the minimum for .22 MAG. and secondly replacing the hammer and ejector surely did not hurt anything, I don’t think it was the absolute answer to the problem.
I am convinced now that the Hornady ammunition caused the majority of issues with my rifle. Minimum rim thickness on the V-Max 30 grain ammo, paired with my bolt headspace of .053 just adds up to way to much clearance. Just wanted to tell everyone, if you are having issues with your rifle try cycling some different ammunition and different bullet weights through the gun before you start going through the parts replacing. Let me know if you have any questions or comments.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:43 PM
Royb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just another postscript to my previous post. I had several spent CCI shell casings that I had gathered from the last range visit. I finally got around to measuring the rim thickness and found that everyone of the casings measured .050 in height. Which again makes me more convinced that the under minimum standard Hornady ammunition, was the root cause of most of my problems.
Just a couple of quick questions; how many of you have actually measured the headspace of your bolt? And has anyone actually measured or knows the length of the firing pin? Thanks again for your input.