Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-25-2019, 11:21 AM
outdoorman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Center pin question?

First, I have no experience working on my guns but I'm interested in learning.
My concern is with the center pin on a NEF R92 I just bought.
With the cylinder swung open, there is too much 'play' or slop in the pin before it engages the extractor.
I can push and pull the pin in either direction before engaging the extractor spring.
The problem is that when I return the cylinder back into the frame, the center pin barely engages into it's hole in the frame. I'm concerned it could come loose when firing the revolver sometime.
I hope I'm explaining this clearly enough for someone to give me suggestions on how a true novice can fix this problem.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:17 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
Sounds like the ejector rod might have come loose, the rod should not turn when the cylinder is held and you try to turn it. If it is loose, screw it down and see if that corrects the issue. If it does, try to tighten a little more without inflicting damage. If you lack the tools, take it to your local gunsmith before you screw it up.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:02 PM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I highly recommend having a gunsmith give it the once over. I had one that spit lead soo bad I threw it in the river!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2019, 08:13 PM
outdoorman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
Sounds like the ejector rod might have come loose, the rod should not turn when the cylinder is held and you try to turn it. If it is loose, screw it down and see if that corrects the issue. If it does, try to tighten a little more without inflicting damage. If you lack the tools, take it to your local gunsmith before you screw it up.

The ejector rod spins freely when the cylinder is held in place.
It will not screw tighter but it seems like there is excessive forward/backward movement in the pin even when the cylinder is closed.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:54 PM
'ol shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
Parts diagrams and parts are pretty much non-existent based on a cursory search online. I was able to screen grab this off of an E-bay ad, showing the cylinder and ejector rod.

Notice the pin hole that looks to be holding the front half of the rod to the rear half. I suspect your pin is broken or missing altogether. Look with a flashlight and magnifier if you have one to see what is going on there. You can replace it with an appropriately sized roll pin if necessary.
Good luck.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:43 PM
outdoorman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
Parts diagrams and parts are pretty much non-existent based on a cursory search online. I was able to screen grab this off of an E-bay ad, showing the cylinder and ejector rod.

Notice the pin hole that looks to be holding the front half of the rod to the rear half. I suspect your pin is broken or missing altogether. Look with a flashlight and magnifier if you have one to see what is going on there. You can replace it with an appropriately sized roll pin if necessary.
Good luck.
Ok, just checked it and the pin you mentioned is visible so I don't think it's the problem. The front half and back half of the rods don't spin separately they are firmly attached to each other.
The problem is that the entire rod has give before the spring is felt so I'm wondering if the spring is the problem. Can the spring get stretched out over time so there is too much play in the rod?
Old 08-28-2019, 01:54 AM
'ol shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
Anything is possible, hard to diagnose without the gun in hand.