Fedderson question - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-26-2019, 04:17 PM
Chopit

Join Date: 
Aug 2019
Posts: 
3
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fedderson question



Log in to see fewer ads
Anyone run a fedderson barrel on a factory reciever? Do you need to run a aftermarket reciever to get better accuracy than the factory barrel? My factory wood stock 10/22 shoots pretty good. I am kinda scared to mess with it but I want better.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-26-2019, 04:25 PM
zukiphile
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2002
Location: 
ohio
Posts: 
1,060
TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopit View Post
Anyone run a fedderson barrel on a factory reciever? Do you need to run a aftermarket reciever to get better accuracy than the factory barrel? My factory wood stock 10/22 shoots pretty good. I am kinda scared to mess with it but I want better.
No, you do not need an aftermarket receiver to get accuracy from a Fedderson barrel. If your factory barrel shoots groups smaller than two inch at 100 yards, I would leave it alone or ask Ruger if they want to buy for the company museum. However, a Fedderson barrel will likely still beat it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-26-2019, 04:32 PM
Chopit

Join Date: 
Aug 2019
Posts: 
3
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
RWS R100 averages 1.5" at 100 yds. 1" no wind and I am shooting good. I cant figure how to post pics from my phone. I believe this is a older model.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 08-26-2019, 04:37 PM
Nick7274's Avatar
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Dec 2016
Location: 
Central Ma.
Posts: 
3,083
TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I consistently get under 1" groups @100 yards with all 3 of my Feddersen barrels. Only one of them is in a Ruger receiver. The receiver doesn't really contribute anything as far as accuracy (assuming that it's in spec). I should mention that all my Feddersen barrels are .920's.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-26-2019, 04:41 PM
zukiphile
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2002
Location: 
ohio
Posts: 
1,060
TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopit View Post
RWS R100 averages 1.5" at 100 yds. 1" no wind and I am shooting good. I cant figure how to post pics from my phone. I believe this is a older model.
I wouldn't change anything but the magazine when it's empty.

Nick's results with a Fedderson are realistic, but you may have a unicorn.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-26-2019, 04:43 PM
Chopit

Join Date: 
Aug 2019
Posts: 
3
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wanted to try one of the fluted tapers in 17 or 18". The .920 bull is almost 3 lbs man that seems heavy. I am just getting into 22lr matches like nrl22.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-26-2019, 04:44 PM
n2omike's Avatar
n2omike
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

Join Date: 
Mar 2016
Location: 
Central West Virginia
Posts: 
895
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
I consistently get under 1" groups @100 yards with all 3 of my Feddersen barrels. Only one of them is in a Ruger receiver. The receiver doesn't really contribute anything as far as accuracy (assuming that it's in spec). I should mention that all my Feddersen barrels are .920's.
I'd have to call some BS on this... especially the CONSISTENTLY part. This would be really hard to accomplish with full fledged bolt action target rifles with 36+ power scopes, mechanical rests... and GOOD, lot tested ammo.

Last edited by n2omike; 08-26-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-26-2019, 04:44 PM
Nick7274's Avatar
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Dec 2016
Location: 
Central Ma.
Posts: 
3,083
TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Sorry I somehow misread your first sentence. If your getting 1"- 1 1/2" groups @100 yds with your OEM barrel I wouldn't change it either.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-26-2019, 04:51 PM
Nick7274's Avatar
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Dec 2016
Location: 
Central Ma.
Posts: 
3,083
TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2omike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
I consistently get under 1" groups @100 yards with all 3 of my Feddersen barrels. Only one of them is in a Ruger receiver. The receiver doesn't really contribute anything as far as accuracy (assuming that it's in spec). I should mention that all my Feddersen barrels are .920's.
I'd have to call some BS on this... especially the CONSISTENTLY part. This would be really hard to accomplish with full fledged target rifles with 36+ power scopes, mechanical rests... and GOOD, lot tested ammo.
You can call it whatever you want. All my builds are full benchrest builds. And I shoot almost exclusively @100 yards off the bench using bags and sometimes a bipod. By consistently I don't mean every group I shoot is under 1" @100 yds. But more often than not they are. Why is it hard to believe that someone can get 1" groups with an aftermarket barrel but not that someone can get 1"-1 1/2" groups an OEM barrel??? I've been shooting for a long time and almost all of my 10/22's are capable of that kind of accuracy. I've put alot of time and $ into them to get them to where they are. And I do use target scopes on them also with plenty of magnification.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-26-2019, 05:02 PM
n2omike's Avatar
n2omike
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

Join Date: 
Mar 2016
Location: 
Central West Virginia
Posts: 
895
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Okay... Wasn't aware it was a full fledged benchrest build... with all the fixin's. My apologies there. Many read similar statements, and wonder why their mostly stock rifle with a Feddersen barrel won't shoot under 1" groups at 100 yards.
Would also like to hear to details involving 100 yard 1-1/2" groups with an old factory barrel.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-26-2019, 05:56 PM
GH41

Join Date: 
Feb 2015
Location: 
SEUS
Posts: 
2,083
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopit View Post
I wanted to try one of the fluted tapers in 17 or 18". The .920 bull is almost 3 lbs man that seems heavy. I am just getting into 22lr matches like nrl22.
To my knowledge FJF doesn't make a fluted tapered barrel.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-26-2019, 07:23 PM
gcrank1's Avatar
gcrank1 is online now

Join Date: 
Apr 2018
Location: 
south central WI, USA
Posts: 
3,434
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Imagine what that stocker might do with a full CPC job!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-26-2019, 07:38 PM
Nick7274's Avatar
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Dec 2016
Location: 
Central Ma.
Posts: 
3,083
TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2omike View Post
Okay... Wasn't aware it was a full fledged benchrest build... with all the fixin's. My apologies there. Many read similar statements, and wonder why their mostly stock rifle with a Feddersen barrel won't shoot under 1" groups at 100 yards.
Would also like to hear to details involving 100 yard 1-1/2" groups with an old factory barrel.
I probably should have mentioned that in my post. But most of the accuracy in a 10/22 comes from the barrel and Feddersen barrels are extremely accurate IME. I'm not sure who the op is mad at. I don't think anyone questioned what he said his rifle will do.....
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-26-2019, 10:16 PM
n2omike's Avatar
n2omike
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

Join Date: 
Mar 2016
Location: 
Central West Virginia
Posts: 
895
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
I probably should have mentioned that in my post. But most of the accuracy in a 10/22 comes from the barrel and Feddersen barrels are extremely accurate IME. I'm not sure who the op is mad at. I don't think anyone questioned what he said his rifle will do.....
I have a couple of the Feddersen tapered 16" barrels... and they are 'okay', but nothing to write home about. From what I gather, you're more likely to get a good one if you order the bull barrel.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-26-2019, 10:24 PM
Empe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Mar 2008
Location: 
Pennsylvania
Posts: 
2,803
TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I have a Fedderson 16.25" fluted Bull Barrel in a Ruger OEM receiver and it gives very good accuracy . If I had a stock Ruger barrel that was printing 1.0" -1.5" at 100 yds. I wouldn't change or touch anything...that's pretty good . Is your Ruger a carbine or the heavy barreled target model ?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question regarding WWII Rifle beachguy43 RFC Community Forum 31 08-31-2019 05:47 PM
CZ 455 Ultra Lux sight question 22Funzies CZ / Brno 0 10-30-2018 04:23 PM
A target scoring question huffmanite Rimfire Benchrest Shooting 4 03-20-2017 10:22 AM
Not meant to start an online war ... Just a sincere question rjtmac Open Rimfire 64 01-17-2017 08:10 AM
Subsonic to Supersonic Question Ironwill .22 Ammunition (S-L-LR) 19 11-01-2016 12:17 AM



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x