Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-25-2019, 04:01 PM
rolltide
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Which Rear Bag?

I asked this in another forum and was directed here.

It's not a pure Benchrest question, but I hope to find some help.

I shoot in several local long range matches, which are shot primarily from a bench. While I don't normally shoot from a bench and would much rather shoot prone, but that's not going to happen here.

While many of the shooters are using 1 or 2 piece rests, I prefer shooting from bipods.

For the last year or so, I've shot these matches with a variety of my rifles, everything from Anschutz and KIDD to Kimber and Vudoo.

I've used a cheap set of Caldwell rear bags, and fortunately, have had a fair amount of success with them.

My problem with them though, and the reason for this post, is that I do believe using a better rear bag, could make a big difference.

What rear bag would you recommend for use with a variety of stock designs? Ideally, the bag will be used for shooting my Vudoo's, Anschutz, Coopers, Sako's etc...which all have different stocks.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Chris
Old 08-25-2019, 05:18 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide View Post
I asked this in another forum and was directed here.

It's not a pure Benchrest question, but I hope to find some help.

I shoot in several local long range matches, which are shot primarily from a bench. While I don't normally shoot from a bench and would much rather shoot prone, but that's not going to happen here.

While many of the shooters are using 1 or 2 piece rests, I prefer shooting from bipods.

For the last year or so, I've shot these matches with a variety of my rifles, everything from Anschutz and KIDD to Kimber and Vudoo.

I've used a cheap set of Caldwell rear bags, and fortunately, have had a fair amount of success with them.

My problem with them though, and the reason for this post, is that I do believe using a better rear bag, could make a big difference.

What rear bag would you recommend for use with a variety of stock designs? Ideally, the bag will be used for shooting my Vudoo's, Anschutz, Coopers, Sako's etc...which all have different stocks.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Chris
I think a ABRA delrin rest would be good. I assume you are not having to move from bull to bull like traditional BR shooting.

Lee
Old 08-25-2019, 05:30 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have both a Protektor and Seb bags.

IMHO I think the Seb Baby Bag is the better, or it suites my rifle better (Match 54-1809).

https://www.1967spud.com/shop/f-clas...gs-slick-ears/

Giz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2019, 07:07 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I use a couple of Protektors, but the key thing is to make sure that it fits your stock. I had to try a couple to get what I wanted: a bag that would let my rifle recoil straight back, and return to battery with a nudge. There are tall ears that support the butt from both sides, there are bunny ears (which are shorter), there are nylon ears, leather ears etc. My advice would be to go to a benchrest match and look at what guys are using . . . maybe take your rifle and ask whether you can try some out. I went for "trial and error" and it cost me some bux .. .
Old 08-25-2019, 10:02 PM
rolltide

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Thanks for the replies!

The biggest challenge seems to be the inconsistency of the stocks on the various rifles I shoot. Since these aren't Benchrest matches, and instead just happen to have competitors shooting from a bench with a bipod in front and a bag in the rear, it's a challenge for sure...
Old 08-26-2019, 05:52 AM
linekin

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
I think the rear bag is the single most important part in 2pc. rest style shooting. I've struggled with them my since day 1 for whatever reason. To hard, to soft, to light, to short (now), & to tall.
I'm using a short edgewood mini gator now & have for a couple seasons. I like it but wish I'd got the taller version.
Did well with a Protektor 13B early on but felt like it moved a bit from being to small. I probably could have added something like rubber, or even pine tar to the bottom to cure it but decided to try the Edgewood.
As was said, if you can try a few beforehand that would be a big help.
Keith
Old 08-26-2019, 09:00 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
There is some 'sticky' rubber sheet stuff for kitchen stuff, comes in a roll you cut to size/shape. I have a number of stacking pieces of various stuff Ive scrounged up, even some 'mouse pads'. Think outside the box.
Years ago someone said,"you steer the gun from the back". If Im off in the back so is the shot.