Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:40 PM
retiredUSAF
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How to Stiffen your barrell & shrink groups

The problem is this is a $63 chineese B-3 rifle. I wanted to stiffen the barrel to reduce the oscillations that create inconsistent groups.

I used electrical tape to wrap my rifle barrel first. I started at the breech end and wrapped it in circular spiral towards the muzzle,overlapping slightly. I did some test shooting to see if this solved the problem. It improved the accuracy by a small amount. The next step was to wrap the barrel again, this time with insulated bell wire, small gauge, from the breech to the muzzle. as I got closer to the muzzle i wrapped a few areas putting one strand exaclty after the previous one. Then I covered the wire with another coating of electrical tape. This seemed to do the trick. now I am shooting sub .5 inch groups consistently. see the target I posted which was shot at 6 yards from front rest only.
DISCLAIMERS: Before anyone pounces.
1.Yes I know this is a redneck solution. However given the cost of the rifle it felt it was appropriate. If you have a nice air rifle you will most likely want to use a more professional solution
2. I have no ambitions of shooting this rifle beyond 10M, ever! I has its limitations but gives me please shooting small groups at short distances in my driveway.
3. No real Air Rifles or their children were hurt, injured or killed during this modification. There was some small whimpering from the barrel but I hit it on a rock a few times and it shut up.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg air rife target.jpg (135.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg moded air rifle barrell.jpg (233.3 KB, 34 views)
Old 12-01-2016, 07:45 PM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
If you're having fun you're doing it right. But where is the picture(s) of the wrapped barrel?

Frank
Old 12-01-2016, 08:44 PM
retiredUSAF
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Close up of the wrapped barrel

Sorry about that Thought the photo I posted would show the barrel better than it did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161201_203501.jpg (229.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 20161201_203546.jpg (88.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20161201_203554.jpg (87.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 20161201_203602.jpg (42.9 KB, 30 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2016, 10:00 PM
dufferDave
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Physics

I suppose that the tape wrap could be dampening and reducing some barrel vibrations. I would not expect some tape wraps to do much, but it is possible. You are indeed showing improved results.

Or, I suppose that the added weight of the tape could be reducing the magnitude of vibrations. Again, I would not expect much of a change since you are not adding much weight.

A very real possibility (given the limited amount of testing you conducted): you might have simply been concentrating more on the later shots, expecting better accuracy. It is easy to bias your own tests this way.

I might suggest another test----add a significant amount of dead weight (like 10 or 12 or 16 ounces) near the muzzle. Would need to be a rigid structural attachment, like mechanically fastened/clamped on, NOT taped in place. Might not be a modification that you want to take "into the field" but it should tell you if you are on the right track?
Old 12-02-2016, 10:28 AM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try putting one of those "little blue pills" in the bore, then show it a Daisy.....

Sorry, I couldn't resist the mix of the subject line, air rifle, and "Daisy"....

Last edited by bearcatter; 12-02-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:42 PM
moorepower

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Or find a pellet it likes.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:57 PM
mje

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
The best way to stiffen a barrel is to shorten it, especially on Spring guns, and especially one that's that long. One of the most accurate recoiling Spring guns I ever fired was a Nick Jenkinson modified Air Arms TX 200 belonging to my friend Lou van Kovering. Nick had replaced the stock barrels with Feinwerkbau LP 65 barrels. That's a pistol barrel.

I'd saw off the barrel on that Chinese gun just past the underlever clip and crown the muzzle.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:29 PM
SARGE
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Typical Air Force work!!!!
Old 12-23-2016, 07:56 PM
TheShootist

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
One of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen in the realm of airguns.
Even more ridiculous , : recommending it to others.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:19 PM
retiredUSAF
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShootist View Post
One of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen in the realm of airguns.
Even more ridiculous , : recommending it to others.
I guess you missed my disclaimer in the post. here it is again for your review.

1.Yes I know this is a redneck solution. However given the cost of the rifle it felt it was appropriate. If you have a nice air rifle you will most likely want to use a more professional solution.

you might want to actually read the post before you comment on it. Im just sayin!
Old 08-23-2019, 08:37 PM
KeisiMekaigo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
no mass added,.. no weight, no inertia added,... nothing done, but a barrel that looks an ultimate fashion barrel, properly clothed for a cold winter. There´s nothing bad in a vibrator/oscilator barrel.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:54 PM
Shamokinbob

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
He did add weight all the way up the barrel, I think if it works then be it, if it cries again, beat it, you could do that with a 22, it's all on the harmonica player, if the stiffness last longer than 4hrs, take it to a gunsmith

Last edited by Shamokinbob; 08-23-2019 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:34 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey, whatever works. Tell any naysayers it a flux capacitance reducer. That'll get them to leave scratching their heads.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:10 PM
C.C.
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredUSAF View Post
I guess you missed my disclaimer in the post. here it is again for your review.

1.Yes I know this is a redneck solution. However given the cost of the rifle it felt it was appropriate. If you have a nice air rifle you will most likely want to use a more professional solution.

you might want to actually read the post before you comment on it. Im just sayin!
He was probably an officer!

RULE OF THUMB (R.O.T.) If'n it's dumb, and works, by definition, It ain't dumb!

Last edited by C.C.; 08-24-2019 at 01:16 PM.