Henry H001T: when they say it's the Indian, they're talking about you, pal... - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-06-2019, 03:26 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Henry H001T: when they say it's the Indian, they're talking about you, pal...

A couple of weeks ago I posted about a less than satisfying account of my first day out with a Henry H001T - my first lever action rifle. It's Henry's .22 LR rifle with the octagon barrel. Very classy looking to my eye. I had it set up with a Weaver Classic 4-16 on a DiP rail to get it shaken out. I was shooting it resting the wooden forearm on a Rock BR rest and I didn't even post the targets. Strays all over the lot. So frustrating. So I posted here, and got a lot of good advice from several of you with a lot more Henry experience than I have. My complaint was that I was getting a lot of vertical stringing and no group at 50 yards under 3 inches. Foooey.

So of course I blamed the rifle. I mean: 3-inches at 50 yards. It's got to be the arrow, right? De-Fective Rifle Right? Well, no actually.

There were three pieces of advice that turned out to be great. The first was to try some different ammo. So the targets below were shot with CCI-SV, which has always done reasonably for me for the price. The second was to rest the Henry not on the wooden forearm, but further back near the receiver, or alternatively to change the rest to a sandbag and rest the forearm on the palm of my hand. And the third was to ditch the scope and try the rifle's original sights. Keep in mind here that all I was trying to do was get one inch groups or better rather than the three inches that the rifle seemed to promise.

On the target below, the "groups" (patterns really) on the upper left were with the scope, but shooting the rifle just like I did before, resting the rifle on its forearm. Same results. 2.5-3 inch groups strung vertically.

Then I moved the rifle up, resting it on the front part of receiver. That's the two groups on either side of the central target. Whoo! Such a small change, and it cut the group size in half. The scope is still on at this point. Lower right group is 10 shots at right about an inch.

Then I took the scope off and shot a group with the rifle's buckthorn sights. As you can see below, the rear sight needs to be tweaked for windage (and elevation), but the rifle easily put four of the five shots under an inch. The nut behind the trigger caused the fifth shot out. See: it's the Indian. . .

Then I put a Williams FP-GR peep sight on. It came with an .093 peep, but I need all the focus help I can get and so I screwed an .050 in there and used it with the factory front post. Well, alright. I am not claiming that this set up is going to win any matches, but it surely is a huge improvement over the initial outing. Here's the 50 yard targets on eight-inch bulls. It took about five shots to get near the bulls-eye and the only downside of the Williams (or any peep) sight means you have to shoot and then break position to check with a spotting scope (or take the walk of shame). But then again, the lever action isn't super well-suited to perfect return-to-battery -- it really is about plinking fun (for me, at least). And it looks like the Williams sight is doing almost as well for me as a 16x scope, which is saying something.

So there you go. A little RFC advice, some reformed ways, and suddenly Henry's customer service gets a bit of a break from another confused end-user. Thanks, RFC for some solid advice. It looks to me like the rifle is perfectly capable. It is the >ahem< shooter who needs a bit more practice.

Last edited by flangster; 07-15-2019 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:31 PM
Roadrat
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
92% (7)
I hate it when it turns out to be MY FAULT.........
Old 07-06-2019, 05:37 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So equipment was smarter than the operator?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2019, 05:48 PM
TrblShtr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So, are we having fun again?
Old 07-06-2019, 06:10 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
+1 with ya on all that
My default thought is operator error.
And my two best shooting buddies are Bob and Weave.....
Old 07-06-2019, 07:07 PM
azimuth

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Glad to see you got it running the way it should be. Now you can shoot it with open sights, aperture sights, or a scope.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:40 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztarget View Post
So equipment was smarter than the operator?
Yeah, that's one way to put it . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrblShtr View Post
So, are we having fun again?
Oh. Yeah. [Cue the music from Ferris Beuller's Day Off]

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimuth View Post
Glad to see you got it running the way it should be. Now you can shoot it with open sights, aperture sights, or a scope.
I spent some time shooting offhand with the Williams sight too. Now you want to talk about humbling . . . .
Seriously, though. I'm always happier in these situations when it's "operator error" . . after all the cure for poor technique is more range time. And I'll take that medicine, thank you very much.

Last edited by flangster; 07-06-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:43 PM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You are a very good iron sights shooter. You have my admiration!

If your groups went from big to small when shifting from scope to irons - I have to think you have some issues with scope and scope mounting.

If you want to try scope again.... Use a parallax adjustable scope with lock-down rings on the AO, focus, and everything else... Make sure your rings are good and tight.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:43 AM
Whalerman
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great post! I've found this site to be the best.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:14 AM
Pete44ru

TPC Rating: 
86% (9)

I'm just glad you seem to have resolved your "problem"...

Old 07-08-2019, 07:57 AM
billwunder

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Henry Frontier Accuracy

I own the same rifle. I do shoot benchrest with a CZ and Savage bolt gun. This I bought as a fun gun and my expectations were not the same. I found that going from Federal high velocity to SK Std + made an incredible difference at 50 yds. Exactly the same as every other rifle I own when going to a good quality ammo. Nice shooting with iron sights.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:49 PM
BWstickman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Just dialed mine in at 35 yards with CCI SV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2019, 07:22 PM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great shooting all the way around.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:41 PM
needsmostuff

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If nobody was watching,,,,, it was not your fault.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:43 PM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwunder View Post
I own the same rifle. I do shoot benchrest with a CZ and Savage bolt gun. This I bought as a fun gun and my expectations were not the same. I found that going from Federal high velocity to SK Std + made an incredible difference at 50 yds. Exactly the same as every other rifle I own when going to a good quality ammo. Nice shooting with iron sights.
Mine really like the CCI SV. Hi-V not so much. That's been my experience with pretty much every 22 I own.