Ruger GP100 .22 - Any advice? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:25 PM
Denvernoob
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger GP100 .22 - Any advice?

Bought my first handgun: The Ruger GP100 .22. Grew up shooting rifles but moved to the city. To shoot with any frequency, indoor handgun ranges are the only real option.

Great gun! I'm ~2500 rounds thru it. Never had a misfire. Just a beautiful revolver. I wanted a handgun that was economical to shoot, reliable, accurate, and one that would last longer than me. This gun is all that.

One gentleman on here brought up a good point that it's a little big for "petite ladies and grandkids". That's a valid consideration. It is a big revolver, but I took my eight year son out and he had a blast shooting it single action with me beside cocking the hammer. It won't be long however until he's pulling back the full double action, and I can certainly envision him pulling back the hammer on this same gun with his kid one day.

The 10 round cylinder is really fun, and it's also easy to load. Faster than a magazine IMO. Being new to handguns I'm no expert on triggers, but SA on this gun is very accurate. I've improved a lot since I got the gun. At 20 yards, I'm shooting ~2" groups when I shoot with the gun rested on the bench; I'm 3"-4" SA off-hand, and 8"-10" DA off-hand.

Any advice on how to continuing to improve my shooting? Lately I feel like progress has stalled. At least from early gains. I'm going deeper down the rabbit hole to be sure, but I'm guessing the tiny things will need to be adjusted now. Also ammo. Any recommendations? I've been pretty much shooting brick pack, whatever's on sale at walmart ammo. However I shot 200 rounds of CCI mini-mags and did have better groups.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:49 PM
MDC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Last year a friend picked up an SP-101.22 and I got a MK IV Hunter. After a trip to the range he realized the trigger pull was too high for him so I ordered up a spring kit from Midway. After watching some videos on how to put them in we did and it feels much better. Here's the set for the GP 100. Good luck and happy plinking.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...it-ruger-gp100
Old 03-13-2019, 04:51 PM
Denvernoob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the link MDC. I'm going to try new springs. For $10 not much to lose. Plus they have solid reviews. My only reluctance with new springs was often I've read people complain about light strikes after they upgrade. I really like my guns to go bang every time, but all the serious shooters on this forum seem to upgrade their springs right away. I guess I want to have my cake and eat it too. Certainly worth trying them out though...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2019, 07:16 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Welcome to RFC

Try some standard velocity, and you'll shrink those groups a little. With HV my 25 yard groups are 2.5''- 3.5'. depending on brand. With SV they are 1.5"- 2". That being said, you aren't doing bad though.

Lightening the trigger will help. I used wolff springs in mine. The trigger return spring will lighten the single action pull, and have no effect on light strikes. The hammer spring will lighten the DA pull, and may cause light strikes. It did on mine, but only with SV ammo, so I went back to the OEM spring for the hammer.

If your thinking of a trigger job read this thread. https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1130947 . In post # 3 I give links to 2 videos that I found usfull.

Here is a link to a thread that I posted, with some targets when I first got mine. https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1150377
Old 03-13-2019, 09:56 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I mounted an 2x Leupold pistol scope on mine to help me see what the pistol was actually doing at 15 yards (as opposed to my pathetic showing with iron sights). Shrunk my groups in half. I removed the rear sight, installed a Weigand Weig-a-tinny rail and mounted the scope on it. Originally, I intended the scope to be a diagnostic tool, but I am having fun with it, so I decided to keep it on a while.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:02 PM
RVER

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How often do you have to brush your cylinder out while shooting? On my GP 100 after 50 rounds ejecting the spending casings is very difficult. CCI Target and Blazer are "sticky" even with a clean cylinder. Thank you & excellent shooting!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2019, 04:26 PM
Denvernoob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVER View Post
How often do you have to brush your cylinder out while shooting? On my GP 100 after 50 rounds ejecting the spending casings is very difficult. CCI Target and Blazer are "sticky" even with a clean cylinder. Thank you & excellent shooting!
I typically brush the bore and cylinders out after every range session, ~200 rounds. I did have some "sticky" casings issues early on with the gun, but I have not had any issues in long time. I believe the problems were ammo related, although I couldn't tell you which ammo was worse than another. I now shoot mostly Federal 550 bulk pack ammo, CCI mini-mags, and some Thunderbolts thrown in. I have never had any issues with those rounds sticking.

Good looking Rugers there RVER!