Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:12 AM
ETTullia

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger Precision Rimfire in 22 mag

Hi yíall. I got a RPRR in 22 mag some time ago and have been trying to find ammo that it likes to shoot. I have found a few, the best being Hornady 30gr Vmax. The issue I am having is the first 10 to 15 shots shoot where I expect, based in the ammo brand Iím using. After that, the barrel gets warm, not hot, and the groups open up. For example, Iíve shot numerous 5 shot groups early in the shooting day with the Hornady and usually get 3/4 to 1 inch groups (5 shot) at 100m. However, after the barrel warms up I canít get less than 2 MOA, regardless of the type of ammo. I guess if all I want to do when I go to the range is shoot ten rounds then wait 30 minutes for the barrel to cool off I would be pretty happy. Iím a little disappointed in the word ďprecisionĒ when applied to this rifle. I think I made a mistake getting the 22 mag. I should have gotten the gun in 22lr. Oh well, live and learn. Maybe I can try and get most of my money back at the next San Antonio gun show.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:37 AM
accooper
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Before you give up, run a bore mop with a little gun solvent down the barrel after about 10 shots. See if that helps.

ALL 22 rimfires, both LR and MAG are dirty.

My old Westernfield 22.lr will shoot Remington Thunderbolts great(about 1/2 inch at 50 meters) but after ten shoots it opens up to about 1 and 1/2. If I run a bore mop with some solvent on it they close back up for the next ten.

Hope this helps.
accooper
Old 08-16-2019, 01:49 PM
ETTullia

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the tip. Iíll try that and see how it goes. I have to use up the remaining 22mag ammo I have on hand anyway. I have looked into barrel coolers, and they look good on paper but they also look like a logistical pain in the rear in practice.
On another, semi related subject, I like the gun. The trigger is great, it handles well, the fit is good. Itís very comfortable to shoot, on the bipod or off hand. I am more of a 22lr shooter, I thought a 22mag might be a nice change.