What's in your informal shooting kit? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:23 PM
Hovannes
US Army Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What's in your informal shooting kit?

I like to keep things simple.
A box of CCI
My target pistol
A case for transporting
"Eyes and ears"(protection)
A staple gun or roll of masking tape
Some Slow Fire 50' pistol targets (or Index cards or paper plates or an incomplete deck of playing cards or a roll of Necco wafers)
A grassy berm to shoot into,
An old and venerable tin coffee can for spent brass & target trash
A well laundered cloth diaper for a wipe down, and
A cap to shield my eyes from the sun.

I have other gear of course---spare magazines, cleaning supplies, spotting scope, screw drivers etc...but the above list is more than adequate for a fun time at the range with my .22

What do you take along?

Last edited by Hovannes; 08-13-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:55 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I like to keep things simple, but I am not very good at it. I tend to accumulate things in the trunk of my car, until it reaches its carrying capacity. The punishment for this behavior is cleaning out the trunk every 6 weeks or so, if we have a family trip or the like.

I have a shower caddy that contains all the odds and ends that come in handy every third range trip or so on average:

Extra foam ear plugs, Bald Eagle Rest special adjustment tools. Set of Imperial, metric, torx hex wrenches. Weed-whacker line for cleaning pistols, one for rifles. Small bottle of Hoppes No. 9, patches. Extra staples, a sharpie, and a torpedo level. Ball point pens, a Wheeler set of screw drivers/bits.

Then:
Targets, front rest, bipod, spotting scope, stand for same. Ammo, of course. Shooting mat (sometimes). MTM plastic pistol rest. Hyskore pistol rest (sometimes),

Then a knapsack with front and rear sandbags, a sissy bag, a cleaning rod (sections)(for squibs), ear-muffs, stapler, sling.

Small igloo cooler for ammunition.

Sometimes, I even bring a firearm or two.

Then, seasonally: cap or hat. Water or coffee, notebook. Gloves, mittens, what-have-you.

As crazy as the above sounds, I have used every piece of that gear at one time or another in the past six months. Sometimes it is helping a buddy out with a screwdriver, or the loan of a stapler. Sometimes it is something I need for a scope adjustment or tightening down a rest. Also the fields of fire for pistol and rifle can overlap, so if I am primarily shooting rifles, I tend to pack a pistol too, and vice versa. We have a half-hour rule at the range, but I hate to ask a guy to either wait or hurry up, so if someone is there shooting pistol, I'll shoot with him until he leaves (or rifle, if that's the order of the day).
Old 08-13-2019, 02:01 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovannes View Post
What do you take along?
I skip the paper targets. I like using swingers for informal shooting.

Advertisement

Old 08-13-2019, 05:15 PM
TrblShtr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like to shoot different "disciplines", to use the word loosely, so I've created a large range box that holds shooting bags, targets, rattle cans, hammer, ground spikes, etc., etc., ad infinitum, ad nauseam. Contains everything I need no matter what I'm shooting. I just have to grab the guns I need and some ammo. After I dial back the number of different shooting "styles", I'll be able to empty some things out of the box. I can manage to go to the range with a much smaller loadout, but I usually don't. It is an hour round trip to the range so there's a pretty heavy penalty for leaving something at home.

Edit to add to what Sophia said. I've been collection a few pieces of steel, a couple of spinners and a gong. I find myself using them more and leaving the paper target stand in the box of the truck.

Last edited by TrblShtr; 08-13-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:23 PM
COW 54
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
This:

More or less fits in one of these bags..

The black one is 14", the other two are 12"

It's a matter of how you stack stuff .

Lizard People; Vietnam Vet; NRA Life Member; NRA Distinguished Expert Rifle; NRA Instructor Pistol
Old 08-13-2019, 11:12 PM
Zorba
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Its always a "mission specific load-out".