Competent smith for beloved K-22? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:07 AM
hillbillyhans

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I'll definitely let you guys know how the K-22 turns out. I have confidence in the ol boy doin the work. Should be reasonably priced as well.

Last edited by hillbillyhans; 06-07-2019 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Auto-correct
Old 07-28-2019, 02:01 AM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How did it turn out?
Old 07-28-2019, 10:55 AM
mongochicago
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I understand why firearm companies won't work on older guns. They keep making minor changes and it has to be a nightmare to keep all those different small parts in stock. What is really sad is REAL gunsmiths are few and far between. Most are just plastic parts changers. Been to a few disappointments before finding a good one. I have a 1959 model 48 at Gibbs in Illinois. First time I am trying him. I hope he is a keeper.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:31 AM
Mike_AK

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_AK View Post
How did it turn out?
Did you get your revolver back yet?
Old 08-10-2019, 11:45 AM
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongochicago View Post
I understand why firearm companies won't work on older guns. They keep making minor changes and it has to be a nightmare to keep all those different small parts in stock. What is really sad is REAL gunsmiths are few and far between. Most are just plastic parts changers. Been to a few disappointments before finding a good one. I have a 1959 model 48 at Gibbs in Illinois. First time I am trying him. I hope he is a keeper.
True 1959 M48's are relativily scarce. What happened to yours? Big Larry
Old 11-03-2019, 12:19 PM
Mike_AK

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Did you get your revolver back from the gunsmith yet?
Old 11-03-2019, 01:06 PM
WRF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As a former S&W revolver mechanic or smith I can assure you there are quite a few very qualified hands out there that can almost 95% take care of your needs. But you need to reach out and find them and when you do be prepared to stand in line a bit and pay enough to support them. If you have a Walmart mentality and Jiffy Lube patience then good luck. Just remember twenty years ago or so nobody was interested in most of these revolvers so the talent pool dried up. Just look at older Brownell catalogs from the 80's and you see pages of specialized revolver tools that have long ago dropped out of sight. To those who need immediate satisfaction then I suggest you are the lawful prey to those operators that know how to advertise and capitalize on trends -- qualified they usually aren't.

The American Pistolsmiths Guild us full of highly qualified S&W revolver mechanics that generally network and cover the bases for most parts. Speaking of parts. When you say the gun needs a rebuild and parts I gotta ask has anybody qualified checked out the gun hands on ? Swapping parts is not really a normal avenue with these revolvers. Yes some parts like coil springs, extractor rods, maybe a hand etc could be worn or abused beyond repair but it's not common. Many new owners may think that parts swapping is indeed common but I refer back to the unqualified and lawful prey analogy. I've reworked range rental K-frames with well over 100k rounds of reloads by users who slammed or ' hollywooded ' cylinders closed and rarely replaced parts.

So I always, if possible, want a hands-on diagnosis where the gun is initially fired a dozen rounds or so. Range rod to check alignment/timing on every chamber, check cylinder runout, gap etc. look for excessive endshake and measure headspace, remove and read side plate for wear signs etc etc. it used to take me about thirty minutes or so to perform this but this is how it should be done. A certified S&W repair station I'm sorry to say is not the answer many times

Best of luck