mk 2 international barrel - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:14 AM
loiner1965

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

many thanks rick and would be interested in the thread size....so it can be done with a little thought
Old 09-22-2017, 02:07 PM
Yank

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have any of you guys replaced a MK2 barrel with another take-off? Was wondering if the indexing is likely to be close, or way off.
Y

PS: Years ago, some guy tried to talk me into converting his Browning straight-pull .22 LR into a .25 rimfire. He wanted to do this because he once had a .25rf (probably an old Stevens falling block), and he liked it. Sometimes people get an idea in their heads, and they just can't shake it off. Oh well, it did work for Thomas Edison.

Last edited by Yank; 09-22-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:36 PM
rick w.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My takeoff LW(light weight) BSA International barrel threads look like 16tpi to me with my gauges. When I rebarreled with the Shilen blank, I ground a piece of HSS to fit the original barrel's thread pretty closely, used magnification to help get as close as I could. The original threads are somewhat taller appearance(?), which might suggest a unique thread off the old basic 60 degree, but grinding to fit gets past that; at least for my needs. I ended up with something like a class 4 fit, and called it good.

The barrel shank is composed of three sections, the first section holds the recess for the case head, and two beveled cuts on each side of the bore for the extractor to reside in when breechblock is up.

The second section is the threading; about half of the shank length or thereabouts.

The third section is a smooth section(again about half) that fits into the front of the action with some snugness.

Then finally one has to do scope mount drill/tap if going that route. I used a Bentz reamer as it was all I had at the time, and allows most ammo to fit and shoot fine.

Kinda typical of an single shot action rebarrel, a bit more in labor than most because of all the extras setups/machining.

Once you pull your existing barrel from the rifle, the recipe to ponder is in front of you. Being across the big pond, I am sure your guys are quite familiar with the specific threading. I did not think the rebarrel was all that difficult, just have to pay attention to specifics.

I am pretty happy with my 17 HM2 rebarrel, but sometime the hornet will surface again, and onward and all of that stuff............
Old 09-22-2017, 07:03 PM
M14man
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Reading what you wrote and trying to understand makes me realize I know nothing about gunsmithing.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:16 AM
tim slater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
many thanks rick and would be interested in the thread size....so it can be done with a little thought
Not as a straight swap, if one is a much coarser thread. You'd have to cut off the old tenon,thread and re-chamber. Throw in proof costs, and it will be expensive unless you can do the plumbing yourself.

Last edited by tim slater; 09-23-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:03 PM
epoletna
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
re-barreling a Martini

I believe you'll find they're Whitworth threads. Look it up and grind yourself a tool bit for that pitch and you'll be good to go.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:18 PM
loiner1965

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
idea is just in my head as i never seen or read of any international conversions,
i knew if any one can do it then it would be you chaps over the big pond.
you lot have the passion and ideas to do this where as us brits tend to stick to the boring calibres lol
Old 08-09-2019, 11:18 PM
oldtrobh

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
I still think the problem is the action is not big enough.

The international is quite different than Francotte.
HI All , I have converted one MK1 international to 32-20 chamber but .300 cal barrel and many 12/15's to .222 ,.223 and 6mm/223 and 32-20 with no problems what ever .. It has been said that the 12=15 can be rechambered to .30/30 but I would not consider that to be correct perhaps however the quote was meant to refer to the strength of the little action the rimless extractor is a head scratcher but it can be done several different ways just takes a lot of fiddling to get the extractor arm to clear the cartridge body